Tele + Class5 essentials pedals for blues/rock

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Paperman, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Paperman

Paperman New Member

Hi everybody!
    I'd like to take some pedals for my Classic '50 Telecaster and Marshall Class5 amp, typically for play some blues and classic rock music.
    I'm a beginner, so these will be my first pedals....... nothing of digital but some classic analog pedals.
    I recently bought an OD Ibanez TS808 and I'd like to add a Tremolo for sure and..... what else, essentials? (max 4 pedals to start....)

Thank you in advance.
    Alberto

2. FracStrat

FracStrat Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

3. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

As Frac said, delay for sure.

I've, since the beginning have always been into 4 fundamentals: Phaser, Flanger, Chorus, Delay.

This is my small board ...

[​IMG]

Rightmost one is the phaser.

:thumb:

FracStrat, jmp45 and tce63 like this.
  4. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I dont own or use much in effects but everyone in my opinion should own a good vibe pedal so every so often you can play an authentic Hendrix Star Spangled Banner! :yesway:

FracStrat, jmp45 and speyfly like this.
  5. nickfox

nickfox Well-Known Member

Hey Alberto, welcome to the forum. On your Class 5, where on the volume knob does it start to break up? And do you like the sound of the distortion when it gets louder?

FracStrat and speyfly like this.
  6. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I'd throw an Echoplex variant or a Memory Man in that chain

7. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Gold Supporting Member

My go-to effects are a touch of chorus & reverb.
    I have both on my Class5.
    TS808 is a great place to start for some OD tones at TV volumes.
    I also just got a Bugera PS-1 so I can crank it to the sweet spot without front end OD.
    :cheers:

8. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

All I used (and still pretty much use) when I was playing my Tele through my C5 rig-

tape echo sim (mooer re-echo)
    Phase (Whirlwind orange box)
    goose (Badass 78 for faux fuzz- hendrix/trower meltdown)

That said, I'd highly recommend a new small 1x12 speaker cab before Id go with lots of pedals. the C5's weakest link is it's combo cab and speaker.

This is a demo I did of the orange box for a buddy so the clip is heavy on phaser, but- this is only amp gain and some echo- Fender Roadworn tele with some Rumpelstiltskin 1950 blackrope pickups. Through a 1x12 ampeg cab with a Celestion V30.

FracStrat, speyfly and fitz288 like this.
  9. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I will throw in the Class 5 needs a simple setup going in. It overdrives very easily so too many effects just gets washed. I mostly used a wah, treble booster and analog delay.

Some owners out there had success using it as a pedal base but i never got on with it like that. It can be on the muddy side unless the amp is wound up. It opened up more at volume but this reduced what can be fed into it. I just kept it simple and used more amp and guitar adjustments to vary the sound.

FracStrat, jeffb and iron broadsword like this.
  10. iron broadsword

iron broadsword Well-Known Member

^This. Wah boost delay, call it a day. Any boost or overdrive you run you'll def want to keep the pedal drive low or off and the volume up. Running it this way a tubescreamer sounds real nice, as well as an OCD. The TS gives me some really juicy tones and the OCD brings a lot of modern rock thump that will almost pass for a 4x12 believe it or not.

FracStrat, speyfly and Biff Maloy like this.
  11. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

a quality compressor proves very useful in a lot of situations.

FracStrat, speyfly and fitz288 like this.
  12. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

FracStrat likes this.
  13. Ken Ops

Ken Ops Well-Known Member

For classic blues, rock and blues rock I’m of the opinion you don’t need much. Overdrive from amp or pedal, delay, tuner, probably wah, maybe vibe or chorus or phaser, or even flanger if that’s your kind of thing. But as you want tremolo, maybe not any other modulation.

My choice for four pedals, for those styles, would be tuner, wah, overdrive and delay. That’s keeping it all analog. Otherwise, might add some multi-purpose digital option in the mix.

14. speyfly

speyfly Well-Known Member

For blues and rock I think the Boss BD-2 is a great pedal. That said if you take your amp cleans volume to the beginning of breakup and use the BD-2 as a boost "NO GAIN", turn the output level up to max, you'll really like the natural distortion of the amp with very little coloring of the tone by the pedal. You're using the pedal to boost the amp and you can adjust the volume down from there. Blend the pedal volume and amp volume to get the right tone that suits you.

Other pedals, a tuner, EQ, reverb and delay can take you a long way to finding "your tone". You can add in the fluff later on down the road. Depending on your budget you really don't have to spend the big bucks to get a great tone, just do some research and ask questions, you'll get there! :jam:

Happy guitar playin!!!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  15. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

A wah wah pedal and maybe a phase pedal and a chorus pedal in addition to what you have . Best Wishes as the fun is just beginning !

ricksdisconnected and FracStrat like this.