Taste - Isle Of White - Coffin Logo cabs

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by pulsonicsound, Jun 15, 2020.

1. pulsonicsound

pulsonicsound Well-Known Member

Was killing some time at work today, looking at some old live footage on youtube, Namely Taste live at the isle of white.

Spotted that the bass player(Richard McCracken) is using 2x marshall straight coffin logo cabs with a matamp/Orange 100w head.

It's cool seeing these cabs when relatively new(the concert is from 1970), I doubt at that point many of the speakers in the cabs are original, i wonder how long 15w alnicos would last with a cranked 100w head playing bass!

here's a snap from a swiss show from the same tour, same cabs but with a Marshall head

maxresdefault.jpg

tomsvintage and Dogs of Doom like this.
  2. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

Indeed. Most likely long gone and replaced by then :)

tomsvintage and pulsonicsound like this.
  3. Seanxk

Seanxk Well-Known Member

7:30 they're struggling whatever they are, the amount of gigs these guys did they could even be new every few months.

pulsonicsound likes this.
  4. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

The 100w Oranges were very new then (could even still be a 50!), Is the bottom cab a later one with piping and metal side handles - can't quite see.
    Reminds me of why RG never seemed to hit big time commercially - great guitar skills and tones from his strat and and AC30 but a bit random in direction and often against the drive and melody of the rest of the song, IMO of course..

5. pulsonicsound

I’ve had a few Marshall cabs that have been used for bass with 50w fanes in them @soundboy57

Cream famously were the first to use the powercell speaker as they were blowing lots of the standard Marshall spec Celestion!

wouldn’t surprise me @Seanxk

Yea @neikeel great guitar sound, you can see the outline of the treble booster atop the ac30 in the picture above!

They are both coffin logos, I spent a good bit of time looking at them, a few shots have both of them in, looks like pinstripe with coffin logos! Could be wrong though, but those logos are a bit smaller than the block ones!

Their is a beautiful pan of Free from the same show where they go behind the stacks and you see the backs of heads, not to mention the who’s WEM columns.

The free set has to be one of the best live concerts in my book!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    Seanxk likes this.
  6. Seanxk

Seanxk Well-Known Member

Nice rear stack shots here, looks like Juicy Lucy were on afterwards.

Another pan here for YES, Banks and Squire just great.

pulsonicsound and clutch71 like this.
  7. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

Nice find. I wonder if by 1970 those first Marshall cabs were already super collectable?

tomsvintage and pulsonicsound like this.
  8. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Isle Of Wight , Rory was 22 years old . I WISH I would've had even that much direction at 22. I don't even remember writing songs
    1970 was STILL the 60's ,JAMS were in
    . I think he evolved into a pretty focused songwriter ,certainly by the end of the decade ......and hopefully found intonation

Seanxk and pulsonicsound like this.
  9. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

I restored one exactly like them, still had the original alnicos in it. I got offered stupid money for it, so it is long gone.
    Very cool cabs. All mahogany and butt joints. Love that Free show, I have a DVD of that somewhere. What a great band.

10. pulsonicsound

what I love about that show is that soundwise it’s not much different to the studio recordings, probably a testament to how sparse the recordings were!!

I used to know a guy who used to roadie for them, apparently they were always stoned, one of my more prized records is a white label test pressing of their debut!

it’s crazy how young these dudes were @AlvisX Not to mention it’s fun seeing people tune certain strings(caugh, the G) mid song, in the U.K. in the 60/70’s intonation was a word people hadn’t heard of, for example Elvis Costello sold his first proper guitar(an old Tele) and got a jazz master because the action on it was bad, something that wouldn’t take long to fix today!!

Seanxk likes this.
  11. tomsvintage

tomsvintage Well-Known Member

pulsonicsound ~ I was thinking how great the bass sounded very full and punchy through the Orange head with the 2 coffin logo cabs ! I also wondered the exact same thing ....are those cabs loaded with the original alnicos.

12. pulsonicsound

At that point in time probably not!!!

I do love the grind you get with a cranked head though! Sounds almost like fuzz on the bass!

Ive not had much luck buying vintage alnicos, most have some form of rubbing!

13. Seanxk

Seanxk Well-Known Member

The P Bass is probably the most powerful passive bass there is, not much hope really.
    Sounds superb though.