TAD EL34B-STR Forum Member Reviews

brp

Reaction score
First, awesome thread and another great MF tube swapping collaborative roundup!

I've had some request by PM to do this again with the TAD EL84's. I am working with the TAD distributor as they may provide me with the tubes.....

If you have an EL84 amp and are interested in participating in testing these tubes, you can post here or PM me.

I have an EL84 amp and would love to have a go at reviewing those with you guys. Let me know. I can make clips comparing a few different CP and NOS EL84's with the TADs.

I didn't realize there was going to be a team Canada for the EL34's or I might have joined in to give them a whirl in my Tweaker.

Stymie13

Reaction score
I've had some request by PM to do this again with the TAD EL84's. I am working with the TAD distributor as they may provide me with the tubes.

FYI-The TAD EL84's are becoming a standard OE tube in many premium brand guitar amps.

If you have an EL84 amp and are interested in participating in testing these tubes, you can post here or PM me.

Remember, you must be competent in the safe handling of tubes, biasing your amp and be responsible for the safe packing of the tubes and postage.

If your amp is cathode biased, you will have to conduct a "dark room" check for red plating. Some tubes will not work in a cathode biased amp, but for the most part, many will work. It is just a matter of how the tubes are rated compared to the OE tubes.

Marty,

Actually the reviews on the 84s are what got me so intrigued about TADs. I read that the envelopes are too large for a DSL 401 but I really want to try them in mine as well as my Maverick which is cathode biased. Someone else should get in on the next round since I got to try the 34s but if you end up needing an additional tester, let me know.

johnfv

Reaction score
FWIW, on the 84s I have both cathode and variable bias amps.

plexilespaul

Reaction score
the most turn off i got from the tads are lack of defined mids growl that you get with old glass or even winged c or jj's. besides that the tads are good stable tubes. they didn't shake my balls.

well since Michael RT clip with the tads i thought i should give the tads a second chance. but this time put them in another jcm i have with a little more mids to start with (my trusty 4104) .
Turns out that i should take the part with " lack of defind mids growl" back:monkey:. in that amp those tads have well defined mids even articulate mids of mullards...and since that was my only grip with those tubes i think i like the TADS.
so similiar tubes can react differently in the same amp model ???

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
well since Michael RT clip with the tads i thought i should give the tads a second chance. but this time put them in another jcm i have with a little more mids to start with (my trusty 4104) .
Turns out that i should take the part with " lack of defind mids growl" back:monkey:. in that amp those tads have well defined mids even articulate mids of mullards...and since that was my only grip with those tubes i think i like the TADS.
so similiar tubes can react differently in the same amp model ???

Absolutely the results can vary from amp circuit to amp circuit all other variables being the same. That's exactly what happened with the TAD EL84s I tried.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Marty,

Actually the reviews on the 84s are what got me so intrigued about TADs. I read that the envelopes are too large for a DSL 401.

The older DSL201's and 401's have small power tube punch outs. I know that the later model 401's have larger holes and will accommodate any current production EL84's. I think they made the holes bigger when they addressed the heat issues on the 401's. I think this was late 2003.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Hey Marty...I'll provide my findings on the 84's since I've rolled them in 3 cathode biased amps. You know what amp they found a home in. The results were interesting across the board though.

Not a problem Joe, your feedback is appreciated. I will contact you for it when the time comes.

I also want to say that the TAD distributor has contacted me and I will definitely be testing the TAD EL84's.

Also, anyone testing the EL84's will also be testing the TAD 7025S preamp tube. This is TAD's premium offering for the V1 slot.

:D:hbang::D

Last edited:

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Well the TAD EL84's and 7025's have been ordered. I didn't get them for free. They did give me a discount, but I'm still having to pay for them.

I am now accepting testers for these tubes.

So far, I have Stymie and johnfv.

I may start a new thread if I don't get enough testers off of this thread. I would like at least 5 to 6 testers. There are two sets, so I would consider any members living in Canada. Just keep in mind that postage is on the high side in Canada.

JOE (SolarBurn)-I will send you a TAD 7025S to test in your amps. Then you can share your comments on this tube and the TAD EL84's.

I will work with all the testers to come up with a list of standard questions to answer, such as type of amp used (cathode or fixed bias), plate voltage, bias setting and type of speaker cab and speakers used.

brp

Reaction score
I'm in as mentioned above... unless Canada is a problem Marty. Joe could send them up if he's getting them (I know he's done the 84's but not the 7025S) he's only a couple hours south of me.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Noted. That should work out. I could send the EL84's and 7025S's to Joe and he could test the 7025S and then forward the tubes to you.

That will work if Joe wants to cover the postage to you.

brp

Reaction score
Well if it's too prohibitive cost-wise then I'd understand and urge him not to. But from WA. to where I am might not be too much, although probably double what you guys are used to for sending these around.

I can do some comparison clips though. I have the Sittard Hollands from Alan, some NOS black plate RCA (from you, gotta double check what they are) as well as CP Sovtek and JJ here for A/B'ing.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Wow! Are you the one that I sold the RCA's too? They should be Canadian RCA 6BQ5's. Those are smoking good tubes. :)

I had two matched quads. I sold one set and the other went into my DSL401.

brp

Reaction score
Wow! Are you the one that I sold the RCA's too? They should be Canadian RCA 6BQ5's. Those are smoking good tubes. :)

I had two matched quads. I sold one set and the other went into my DSL401.

Marty, these are the ones I got from you. I was remembering RCA earlier but could have been mistaken. Maybe they're the ones you're thinking of but maybe not?

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Ah...those are very nice as well. Those are late 50's Sylvania Black Plates. I run those in my RCA tube hifi amp.

Reactions: brp

Frankie

Reaction score
If you don't mind me being a slacker, I'll test the EL84's for you too. It's just a pop-in kinda scenario for me since my only EL84 amp is the AC30. I'd be comparing them to vintage Telam EL84's from the 70's in an AC30CC2 with UK-made Celestion Blues.

And I wouldn't say that I didn't like the TAD EL34's, it's just that I didn't like them in my DSL. I really want to hear a set in an audio amp! They may work in a lower gain amp too like others are having good results with, but in the DSL I think the top end was too much. That's a pretty bright amp! I was also using my 75/V30 mixed cabinet which is inherently bright too.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I just bought a pair of TAD EL34B-STR off Terry Guitar-Rocker, been wondering about these tubes for awhile since Marty told me they were his favorite CP power tube. I'll post my results here.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Sorry man, I screwed up and changed speakers the same day I put these tubes in (different experiments) so its making it really hard to say what changes if any are heard with these tubes. I had swapped out my greenbacks for my Wharfedales which are a Vox copy of a G12H30 cuz Ive been playing my AC15 alot lately and wanted to hear how it sounded with the Wharfedales (sounds great!). But any way, my Marshall sounds great with these tubes and these speakers over the last few days I've been playing them and really like them. Later when I get a chance I'll do a proper comparison with these tubes.