Sweetest, mellowest, clean non-Marshall?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by _Steve, Jul 9, 2020.

1. _Steve

_Steve Member

In the past 30 years i've played roughly 4 or 5 non-Marshall amps so I know next to nothing whats out there.

Since i've recently gotten into amp-building i'd like to build a sweet clean amp as a starting point for experimenting with ideas etc and as a contrast to my current Marshalls.

Can anyone give me any recommendations for the mellowest, juicy, soft CLEAN tones out there?

2. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

I would check out some fender circuits . Single ended stuff

3. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

4. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Ultralinear Fender silverface models. Easily identified by the power output rating. 135 watts for the four output tube models, 70 watts for the two output tube models.

Their clean tone is best of breed. I favor the Pro Reverb.

5. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

Black or silver face Fender.

6. Marshall50w

Marshall50w Active Member

Just a thought, my JTM45 re-issue fitted with a hardwired board, replacement transformer/choke, NOS Mullard's & pair of NOS GEC KT66's is sweet/round and stays clean until loud. My amp tech measured the output at around 40 watts, presumably this increased due to the KT66's. This amp gives a clean platform for pedals and it would need to be large venue if you wound it up to distortion level. To a lesser extent my Marshall 1973x is sweet/round but with very little headroom on this amp at 18 watts however if you play it through a 4 x12 .... It depends on how much headroom you want. My 1987T from 1970 is also similar to my JTM45. My 1959 from 1974 starts to distort at 1 ! A very sweet amp is the Hi Watt DR103, I have a 1974 and this is a beautifully engineered amp with clean all the way.

Georgiatec likes this.
  7. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

TSL 100.............it's heralded as the best clean channel Marshall has ever done. :hmm:

Alert Notice: Keep a fire extinguisher nearby!:ohno:

GIBSON67 likes this.
  8. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

I think a decent Twin Reverb would be the absolute high water mark for what you're looking for, no? The early silverface ones are about a grand and aren't terribly hard to find.

Alligatorbling likes this.
  9. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Here are some Fender type kits http://www.ceriatone.com/series/model/american-classics/ they also have Hi-Watt, Matchless and a few others. I don't know anything about these but their Marshall type amps are great with very good pricing. There should be other brands like these as well, but I have had very good luck with these folks so far and will keep using them. You can also "design" something you want and talk to Nik there to get just what you need. I will be doing this very soon.

10. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

I just don’t understand why the clean channel has a gain knob when it really dosent get any gain at all ? I was hoping to get some Srv out of it but way to clean.

Lance Chambers likes this.
  11. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

You cannot beat Fender clean tones. There's plenty of Fenders that deliver pretty cleans. 5F1 Tweed would be a good start. Nice and clean until you turn it up loud enough to distort. Then after that it really doesn't get louder it just gets more distorted. It is limited to only one knob, but there's some good tones to get outta one knob. 5E3 Tweed would be another one I'd check into. Also, a Princeton circuit would be another great option for pretty cleans. Plenty of examples of each on youtube.

12. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

I vote twin or deluxe reverb. I personally would go with the deluxe. Will probably be my next build if I dont buy a DRRI from fender.

lespaul339 likes this.
  13. 80sTone

80sTone Active Member

Roland JC-120 has nice clean but yes solid state.

Crikey and Rooster-p like this.
  14. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

Metallica are one of the bands that use that amp for their clean tones.

15. _Steve

_Steve Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Im gonna have a listen on youtube at them

16. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

I use my SF Fender Pro & Bandmaster as dedicated clean platforms . They do nice break when pushed also, pedal monsters for sure.. These 2 are specifically set up to plug & play.. pick guitar..mic up & awesome cleans. Both reveal the guitar tone character. Spend a bunch of time running the guitars through these..pretty cool too hear the natural guitar tone without anything in the way

17. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

"Sweetest and mellowest"

Hmmmm, probably not a Twin

Princetons are definitely sweet. The only drawback is they don't have a lot of power.

I'm very impressed with the cleans on my Supro Royal Reverb 1650RT. Switchable 35 or 60 watts.. Sweet is a perfect descriptive term. Lots of headroom. Doesn't sound hard or brittle in any way, and is not overly bright even with the treble dimed. Bottom end never gets flubby. I think all the Supros sound great.

18. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Well-Known Member

I don't have a lot of room for music equipment. I have bought and sold amps and feel like I have all the bases covered by keeping two amps, a Marshall plexi and a Fender.

19. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Fender Vibroverb or Super Reverb. Those amps can get mean and be very bright, but they sound so sweet and beautiful at less than cranked up settings and can be very mellow with more modest eq settings and warmer speakers, all the way down to bedroom level. To get juicy, you have to get the volume up though. Warmer speakers will round things out.

20. _Steve

_Steve Member

Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with the brown and silverface deluxes?

I'm interested in trying out the bias tremolo! And I have some Hammond ao-29s that I could use to do a conversion.