SWAPPING PICKUPS

jeffb

Reaction score
Ok can someone explain how to do it with the new site update? When I click on the insert image icon I get this DROP or CLICK HERE pop up. Dropping adds the photo but on another tab and can't figure how to place it in the post. If CLICK it wants to upload from computer.:confused:

When the drop/drag "here" thing shows up- see the little "chain link"? click on that and you can post the URL.

jeffb

Reaction score
Duuuuuh.....thanks jeff!:facepalm:
No worries- I'm on another board for another hobby of mine and they have had the same thing going for several weeks-- I had a WTF? moment too when they upgraded the software.

jeffb

Reaction score
I would never pay that much but I guess I’ll never know.
If I had the money I would.

The best expensive repros today still don't sound as good as an average set of those old PAF pickups.

Also, I've got a set of very expensive booteek late Pat#/Early T top recreations too, and though they are great pickups, they still don't sound nearly as good as the originals (before they started getting all wonky in the mid to late 70s because of poor raw materials and random magnets). Even though many winders try their best, the materials are just not the same and no longer available.

That said, I don't have the money, so I'll stick with cheaper modern stuff :thumb:

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
If I had the money I would.

The best expensive repros today still don't sound as good as an average set of those old PAF pickups.

Also, I've got a set of very expensive booteek late Pat#/Early T top recreations too, and though they are great pickups, they still don't sound nearly as good as the originals (before they started getting all wonky in the mid to late 70s because of poor raw materials and random magnets). Even though many winders try their best, the materials are just not the same and no longer available.

That said, I don't have the money, so I'll stick with cheaper modern stuff :thumb:
I would not spend the money even if I had it ,I would how ever buy a $10,000 guitar with them. Lol

Last edited:

George Dickens

Reaction score
People most likely spend that much becuase they are looking to replace one on their 20000 classic becuase it is broken or missing, if you can afford 20g for the guitar 2 g for a pickup is not very much- or 700 dollar used klusons if you need them-

There maybe a lot of fakes but they would have to be damned good ones and if you cant tell the difference then there isnt any I dont think. Its like inthe 19th century there were lots of fake everything in the antique world produced.
17th and 18th century Table and chairs an stuff., jewerely, books, paintings etc

probably some fake Fender guitars and amps as they are pretty easy- but it has to be worth it to take the time and expennse to fake them and you have to know a lot about them and have great skill. I dont think it is as prevelant as some might suspect though as its just not worth it. Also there is too much info out there now so too many questions would have to be answered. The best fakes now a days are just that and admit it.

Last edited:

George Dickens

Reaction score
Except some of the original PAF’s and 70’s T Tops.
I think a lot of the newer Gibson ones are pretty good.
We just get tired of the same ol same ol-
The newer Epiphone USA pro's are pretty fine.
I actually think they may be better and more versatile than a lot of the older Gibson ones.
Meaning that they will sound pretty good no matter what you stick them in.

matttornado

Reaction score
I had two 67 re-issue Vs with 500T in the bridge & they sounded killer. The 500T pickups are great for all kinds of music styles.

neikeel

Reaction score
I’m more à PAF sort. I have:
57 classics in 335
antiquities in one LP
BK mules in my main LP
BB3 and SD Jazz in another
59s in my SG
BB 1 and 2 in another LP
None of them are bad.
Faves are the mules and 57 classics.
My son has the BB3 guitar and will not be parted from it!