SWAPPING PICKUPS

Marcomel79

Reaction score
Well i had a pair of 498T/490R in my Les Paul Classic, which i didnt like, so i put them in my Epiphone SG and they sound great there. Reading in anoher forum someone had put the 490R inthe bridge position of their Les Paul for that Jimmy Paige/T-Top tone. So i decided to do the same, and put it back in my Les Paul, bridge position.

Hm, if i didnt like it before, i hated it now. The sound was so honky midrangey and extremely cold, if that makes sense. I only manage to try the guitar for five minutes before scrambling for my soldering iron.

Has anyone done that here? Or had similar experience with that combo? I really like them in the sg, roll back the volume and it nails early acdc. I guess they dont agree with the maple cap on the Les Paul....

Marcomel79

Reaction score
Those are the bestest pickups on the planet. Sir, you have sinned and will be judged for that one. ;)
They just sounded horrible in my Les Paul. I originally had a set of 500T/496R in it but were too hot for 70's rock. I swapped them for what i was told were 490T/490R but turned out to be 498T, 16.4K output. But like i said, i love them in my SG. Would like to get the 57 classic for the les paul... maybe a couple hail marys will spare me from hell?

Sapient

 
Reaction score
They just sounded horrible in my Les Paul. I originally had a set of 500T/496R in it but were too hot for 70's rock. I swapped them for what i was told were 490T/490R but turned out to be 498T, 16.4K output. But like i said, i love them in my SG. Would like to get the 57 classic for the les paul... maybe a couple hail marys will spare me from hell?

You looking to go vintage? 498T's are kinda in the middle. Maybe more '70's ish.

Marcomel79

Reaction score
@Sapient Well it was a trade.... im on a tight budget now so i cant really afford to buy so i tried working with what i had. Actually the 498T is very good rolled back to 6/7 for rhythm and 9/10 for leads and boost the volume a bit. Have all my guitars wired 50's style....
Plus im all about acdc's high voltage so theyre perfect there.

I like them a lot in the sg. My Les Paul didnt agree with them..

Last edited:

Marcomel79

Reaction score
How many great records were recorded with Gibson pickups...but there are other pickups too, and thats ok

George Dickens

Reaction score
I dont like the sounds of 498T either. Why I dont know. It may be the extra pole spacing.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
I like the 490R, but only for certain genres of music. The more distortion/overdrive/dirt/etc, you apply to the 490R, the worse it gets imo. Clean and very light overdrive sounds good to me, though.

I've done the opposite: put a bridge humbucker in the neck position, which turned out pretty good.

Seymour Duncan's Dimebag Darrell humbucking pickup set takes a '59 bridge pickup and uses that for the neck position. I tried the same idea but with the JB in the neck of a Les Paul, and then a JB Jr. in the neck and middle positions of a strat. JB in the neck of les paul sounds good: not as muddy/woofy on the low end as some humbucker pickups in the neck position do. JB Jr. sound good in both the neck and middle position of a strat-type guitar.

If you split the coil in both cases, you can get some interesting sounds when used with the bridge pickup.

Delete!!

Reaction score
I have tried really hard to like Gibson pickups over the years, with mixed results. My least favorite models are the 496/500 and 490/498. The A2 Burstbuckers are my favorites. However, most of the time I end up going with aftermarket pickups to better tailor the sound of individual guitars. Just depends on the guitar and what it needs to be well balanced.

jeffb

Reaction score
IMO/IME
The 49X series earned it's bad reputation thanks to the idiotic policy of Gibson utilizing 300K pots (that often measured way less) since the mid 1970s until about 8 years ago in their production guitars. And at that point, the 498/490 set was out of all USA Les Pauls barring special runs, or the Custom (which got 500K pots anyway).

300K V/T with a 498R/490R is a muddy mess in 9 out of 10 Les Pauls. 57 Classics also suffered from this problem (though the big change in materials/construction circa 2005 did not help, either).

With 500K pots (that actually measure out close to that) , the 498/490s become way more usable, and I love the 498/490 or 490/490 for a heavy rock combo in those cases. I much prefer the 498T over similar output A5 pickups such as the Airzone/Tone Zone, Rio Grande BBQ and Duncan JB (unless we are talking about ash/alder fender scale guitars, and then that's an entirely different thing)

I find ALL Gibson branded pickups to be extremely sensitive to overall height and pole piece height and some take some serious fiddling to get into the zone, but once they do, it's like I've got a new guitar. I've also found a large number of guitar players are not willing to/don't know how to properly get their pickups set up correctly either. I've never understood this. The adjustability of height and polepieces are there for a reason.

If anyone wants to give me/sell me for cheap a set of their old hated 498T/490Rs, lmk. Especially old ones from the 1990s.

pedecamp

Reaction score
The 500/496 combination is really good, hot yes but you just need to know to turn the gain down on your amp! :yesway:

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
Just throw some bare knuckle pickups there and behold.

want a classic paf? the mule
a litte bit hotter? black dog
much hotter? aftermath + cold sweat (my favorite combo)

Marcomel79

Reaction score
The 500/496 combination is really good, hot yes but you just need to know to turn the gain down on your amp! :yesway:

They just werent my thing. Im not saying they are bad pickups, i just didnt like them for my use.

jeffb

Reaction score
Just throw some bare knuckle pickups there and behold.

want a classic paf? the mule
a litte bit hotter? black dog
much hotter? aftermath + cold sweat (my favorite combo)

BK makes excellent pups, I'm partial to the RRs and Stormy Mondays, but unless you happen to find a set used in the states they end up costing as much or more than having a set wound to exactly your specs from a custom winder. It's hard to justify the price in those cases. I'd much rather work with a custom builder for $375+ a set who will build me exactly what I want.

Latest posts