Swapped G12H EVH for Greenback G12M

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by TXOldRedRocker, Sep 2, 2020.

1. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I've got a 1x12 EVH III cab hooked up to my SV20H. (This combo is only what I play mainly, and is only 6 months old.) There are some great tones with the EVH G12H Celestion, but it's very heavy the low end. I'm into classic rock and blues, not into metal, so I felt like I wasn't getting the mids and higher end as much as I'd like for some of what I'm after. So I swapped it out for a Greenback G12M. Completely different sound, of course. I am getting the mids and higher to the point that it sounds a little thin.

Part of me says to just live with it for a while, let it get broken in. Get used to it. Drive more bass through it... But another part of me :pirate: says to get an empty 2x12 and use both speakers. :2c::2c::2c::2c::2c:. Always :2c::2c::2c::2c::2c:.

EVHG12HSmaller.jpg GreenbackG12MSmaller.jpg

ibmorjamn, pedecamp and tce63 like this.
  2. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

That's a closed back cabinet. If you to run it with the back off it, it'd reduce the bass considerably. Of course you'd have to relocate the jack. But you could just pull the jack out of the plate and try it before deciding if you want to mod it.

The original speaker with the back off just might be what you really want. Give it a shot.

3. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Plus there's also the option of making a back that doesn't cover the entire back of the cabinet. A half back might be just right.

tce63 likes this.
  4. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

I run a G12EVH + a V30 in a 212 (Budda) closed back pine cab.

This mix gives a pretty creamy and crunchy full sound, I like it a lot. I'm using an EVH 5150iii 6L6 50 watt to drive it.

Sustainium and tce63 like this.
  5. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Buy or build a 2x12. :yesway:

Ufoscorpion and Sustainium like this.
  6. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

If neither one gives you want you want will combining them?
    Yes I understand that they counter balance their weaknesses with their individual strengths but still.
    Why not get the one you want as opposed to combining 2 that don't give you what you want.
    With the guitars you have you're gonna settle?
    :2c:
    BP

TXOldRedRocker likes this.
  7. TXOldRedRocker

That's what I'm after if I combine. My EVH speaker with the Greenback in place of your V30. Would be interesting to hear them combined.

8. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

I’d definitely want to hear them together in a 2x12 before trying other speakers. Let us know how it sounds.

9. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

I record our rehearsals, but its just a stereo condenser mic (Boss BR80) sitting in the middle of the room.

I'll post some clips after work.

10. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I had no idea there was an "H" magnet EVH speaker. Has the 112 always shipped with those? I thought all EVH cabs, except for the 2x12, had relabeled Heritage Greenbacks.

I wonder if it's a relabeled G12H Anniversary. Hmmm.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    neikeel likes this.
  11. TXOldRedRocker

I think they're close to the Anniversary's. But looking at the spec's, they're not exactly like any other speaker. Some characteristics all their own.

https://celestion.com/category/4/Guitar/size/25/12"Diameter/

12. TXOldRedRocker

Ordered an empty 2x12 cab for my speakers. I have a specific place for it in my house/room, and it can't be over a certain width and height. So what I ordered will be made and shipped in about 3 weeks, if all goes as planned.

Sustainium, Dmann and Kutt like this.
  13. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

To me G12M speakers sound a bit thin and underwhelming when used as a single speaker, that's been my experience @TXOldRedRocker. They perform better in a 2-12 or 4-12 cabs imo, (2 G12Ms, or 4 G12Ms). Someone from Celestion had suggested that very scenario to me when I was asking for some recommendations for a 1-12 cab.

I confirmed it to myself by comparing a 1-12 cab with a G12M, (made in the UK), to the same 1-12 cab with a Creamback 65, (made in China), and it was like night and day! The G12M-65 Creamback sounded much better than the G12M-25 Greenback. Fuller, and richer sounding with a nice big, tight low end.

Just my :2c:,....oh and you're right about the $ part!

Cheers

Sustainium likes this.
  14. TXOldRedRocker

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping the thick sounding EVH G12H and the lighter sounding G12M will compliment each other in a 2x12. The cab I ordered can be either a closed back, or a partially open back. (Has a filler piece to close the normally open area.) In a few weeks I'll know. If it doesn't work out, I'll be looking to replace one of the two, based on what I discover then. Can't speculate which, and with what yet.

scozz likes this.
  15. scozz

All cabs, except 4-12s, should come that way! That’s a great idea, that would remove the question of open or closed back cab?

This way we can hear which way our amp sounds better in the room we’re playing in.

16. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

When I bought my EVH 2x12 Cab, they came with the double 70th Anniversaries. I guess old Ed has to put his little stripey label on everything ;)

FWIW- I've run the combs before- H30 + G12M20EVH, and G12M25 "green back' RI. The M20 gets drowned out at 96db vs the H30 at 100DB. The M25 is a better matchup.

I've done the mix with other H series speakers- V30s, Creamback, some "clones". Good combo.

Also agree 1x12 with a M20/25 just doesn't cut it. I ran a 1x12 for a few years, and was never satisfied. Thus why I bought my EVH 2x12 cab, If you must go 1x12 with a M series- Go with a Creamback or Heritage 65.

scozz likes this.
  17. TXOldRedRocker

I have a Fender combo amp that's wired up to run as stereo with the Marshall-EVH Cab with a foot stomp. So while I wait for the new 2x12, I have a Jensen to run with the G12M. Sounds pretty good, so I'm not putting the EVH back in the 1x12. I'll just wait for the new cab.
    :coffee:

jeffb likes this.
  18. scozz

Well said Jeff, especially about the Creamback 65. One thing though, I'm not familiar with a "Heritage 65"? What model is that?

jeffb likes this.
  19. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

scozz likes this.
  20. scozz

jeffb likes this.