SV212 split conversion

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by J0RDAN, Oct 25, 2020.

1. J0RDAN

J0RDAN New Member

So I am a huge chilis fan and Frusciante uses a Plexi and a Jubilee in Stereo. I currently have a SV20H and the matching SV212 with the V30’s fitted. I also have a past FX’s CE1 deluxe to mimic how John split his signal.

My thinking is I could add a second jack point on the cab to effectively split the cab into 2 1x12’s. This would enable me to have one ran by the SV and one ran by the Jube. And if I wanted to run it still as a 2x12 I could as the Studios have dual 8 Ohm outputs to retain the 16 ohm parallel.

my question is will I loose some magic from the plexi by just running a 1x12?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  2. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Jethro Rocker and Sustainium like this.
  3. J0RDAN

J0RDAN New Member

4. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Yes, you can wire each speaker to separate jacks and play two heads through the same cab.

Yes, you can run two cables to one amp to use it as a 2x12.

1x12, 2x12, 4x12 all sound and feel different. The Jube won't be the same through a single speaker -- neither will the SV20. I like them all, but some people have strong preferences for multiple speakers. But running two heads into two individual speakers adds extra fullness compared to one head into a single speaker, so it might sound fine for you.

Two heads into one cab, you won't have much stereo separation. Using two cabs and spreading them apart makes the effect much more dramatic.

But adding a jack is simple and cheap. Go ahead and try it that way. You can always add another cab later.

tce63 likes this.
  5. Solid State

Solid State Well-Known Member

My Peavey 2x12 has a stereo/mono jack on it. Flip the switch one way and it's a mono cabinet and both speakers play, flip it the other and each input jack goes to a different speaker. I plug my two DSL40Cs into it to get a thicker texture and chorus sounds gigantic like this.

6. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I have contemplated the same thing. I have an SV20H, 2525H and a 2061CX 2x12. I'm keeping an eye out for a second 2061CX or i may get one made to exact specs and skinned like the Mini Jubilee. I've thought about just modding the 2x12 temporarily with 2 inputs just to see how they blend. I think that would be fine for the most part but dedicated cabs should be even better. My thoughts were to keep the SV dry with some echo through the MJ.

As far as single vs multiple speakers, I stand firm in my preference for either a 1x12 or 2x12 at the most for a 20 watt head. I think the tone is more "toasty" for lack of better term. Especially the SV. A lot of the tones we chase in those earlier circuit Marshall are due to speaker breakup. It's hard to get that in a 4x12 at that power. I have a 1960AX 4x12 with Greenbacks but a 1x12 or 2x12 sounds the best.

Great example and one of my favorite setups is my SV20H into my open back 1x12 with a Celestion Heritage G12H55hz. 100db thirty watt rated speaker. The SV pushes it very well and sounds fabulous. That sound compared to using a 4x12 the 4x12 is wider sounding but not near the depth and meat the 1x12 gets.

J0RDAN and tce63 like this.
  7. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

8. Marshall Boogie

Marshall Boogie Well-Known Member

I have multiple amps and experimented with running two at once(not original, Hetfield uses a mesa and marshall clone). I find that you LOSE what is unique and individual about your amps that way (I even went as far as to split a cab into 2-2x12's and had half driven by each amp, got into wave cancellation inside the cab and the setup wound up sounding like a vox amp....not the effect I was going for...if I had wanted a vox I would have just bought one). I like my amps one at a time now....but to each his own, it does work for some people