SV20H MK2 - Solo boost

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Bergstrom, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Bergstrom

Bergstrom Member

I tried a power soak, a cheap simple one. Did not like that. It soaks too much even on lowest attenuation level. Had to crank everything to max to get a decent level. Any thoughts?

tce63 likes this.
  2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

How much gain do you need, if not alot like classic rock type low gain ACDC Zeppelin style then go with the JHS volume box in the loop. If you need anything heavier put any OD pedal out front to push it. Attenuators are an expensive unnecessary tool in my opinion.

Bergstrom and tce63 like this.
  3. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Sounds like you just need a better attenuator. Other than cranking the amp, it's the most cost effective way to get the full non-master experience (output section saturation). If you like 2% milk, just turn it down and you'll be happy.

Bergstrom and tce63 like this.
  4. Bergstrom

Bergstrom Member

I tried the Bugera PS1 Power Soak. (among the cheapest? ~80$) The sound is kept good, but supress too much. Thanks!

tce63 likes this.
  5. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

I still think much of the perceived "lack of transparency" of attenuators is 1) the Fletcher-Munson curves (frequency balance perception is affected by loudness), 2) the response curve of speakers, and that devices such as the Weber that have a hi-boost circuitry have so as to compensate perceived loss of top end and speakers not outputting as much top end because they're just tickled by incoming signal instead of actually moving "properly", as opposed as compensating for a top end loss happening inside the device.

So yeah, attenuating indeed suppresses quite a bit, but IMHO that's mostly because 1) your perception o tonal balance changes when loudness changes, 2) speakers don't respond in quite the same way depending on how loud the incoming signal is (depending on the voltage supplied to it, actually).
    Loudness definitely can be an issue, but at some point I don't think there's any solution that'll sound just like the same rig just cranked. Can't go against physics, at some point we just have to work around it.

tce63 likes this.
  6. pedecamp

Its not working for you so you either gotta invest a bunch more money in a more expensive attenuator ($200-$400) or as I suggest $40 to put a JHS in the loop. Return that Bugera and get your money back if you can. :yesway:

Bergstrom likes this.
  7. marshallmellowed

Just this morning, I spent about an hour screwing around with my little pedal board and the SV20. With the few pedals I've got, this is the best setup I could come up with, without using my attenuator...

Out Front...
    Guitar > BE Pre > Amp

In the Loop...
    FX Send > TC FX4 Delay > Spark Boost > ISP Noise Gate > TC HOF Reverb > FX Return

Using this arrangement, I do the following...
    • Set the amp for maximum gain and good lead tone (no pedals engaged)
    • Turn on the Spark Boost, and with Gain low and tone controls centered (toggle in center), set the "Level" to the desired volume.
    • Adjust the "Gain" of the Spark Boost to best compensate for dropping the level via the loop ("Gain" was at max).
    • Engage the BE Pre and adjust the "Gain" and "Volume" for best volume match, but slightly more gain (harder rock rhythm).
    Using this approach the lead volume is obtained by disengaging the Spark Boost, which takes the amp to full volume. Aside from losing gain by reducing the level via the loop, this, going to full volume, was the main drawback to this approach, as the lead volume could be too loud. You could use a 2nd Spark in the loop to set a 2nd volume and gain level for the lead, and IMO, you'd need a boost here, as the 2nd volume drop would further neuter the gain. While this approach is definitely usable, the amp always sounded better with the attenuator in use (when reducing the volume). Just my findings, of course, but IMO, any combination of pedals I used, without using the attenuator, was a bit of a compromise.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    Bergstrom, scozz and tce63 like this.
  8. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

My first thought is get a better attenuator.

If $ is an issue, a Weber Minimass is around $160 and is a quality, made in the USA product. It sounds great too!

My second thought is to suggest you re-read @marshallmellowed posts.

tce63 and Bergstrom like this.
  9. Bergstrom

Bergstrom Member

I’m overwhelmed with all tips and trix from you guys, am sure I will find a solution that works for me! Tomorrow (tuesday) rehersal for the weekend gig, will drive the other guys crazy changing stuff all evening! Again, thanks! ☮️

tce63 likes this.
  10. pedecamp

That actually looks like a pretty cool pedal, whats interesting to me about it is the tone stack boost switch, mid, fat and clean. Without a doubt its an OD pedal but has different voicings to choose from with that switch. You put that pedal out front its gonna give you more gain, in the loop it will give you more volume. Experiment and you'll see. :yesway:

tce63 likes this.
  11. pedecamp

If you put 400 up a little and 800 down a little you get 500 LOL!

Sustainium likes this.
  12. scozz

Well actually it’s a boost pedal, it’s sold as a boost pedal, it’s reviewed as a boost pedal, people catalog it as a boost pedal, people refer to it as a boost pedal, every ad I see call it a boost pedal,.....it’s a boost pedal.

tce63 likes this.
  13. pedecamp

Boost - OD, its the same thing they both "boost" your signal into clipping. :shrug:

14. scozz

Again, my ocd does not allow for two completely different names of two pedals that supposedly do the exact same thing! :D

tce63 likes this.
  15. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

1F2B9789-266C-44C2-8293-C2FE3EA012C7.jpeg

scozz likes this.
  16. scozz

Sustainium likes this.
  17. pedecamp

But it does :shrug:

Any pedal like your Spark or OCD that has a gain/drive knob can be set as a boost or an OD!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    scozz likes this.
  18. scozz

:wallbash:

:D

19. pedecamp

Whats the matter, you dont feel like arguing this morning? LOL

scozz likes this.
  20. marshallmellowed

Here, let me help. They're all pedals with knobs and switches, knobs and switches that do different things. Plug it in and see if you like what it does, if you do, keep it, if you don't sell it to the next pedal junkie.

pedecamp and scozz like this.