SV20H MK2 - Solo boost

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Bergstrom, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Bewlay

Bewlay Member

Ah yes, I'm aware of this. I've been on the look out for an actual attenuator for my Fender Twin as it's basically un-usable in the house. Even at 25 Watts. Be nice to turn it up past zero.
    I use the GE-7 as an inverse boost, I suppose is the best way of putting it :)

scozz and tce63 like this.
  2. Raimo

Raimo Member

If you put a boost in the front input, all you do is cranking up the gain, not the volume. Yes, to get higher volume for leads you need to put it after the preamp, in other words, in the loop.

Kim Lucky Day likes this.
  3. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Interesting, what about boosts that have separate level and gain controls, like a full size Spark pedal for example? Wouldn’t a pedal like that work just as well in the front of the amp?

tce63 likes this.
  4. Graham G

Graham G Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I know next to nothing about using pedals & I didn't know the that solodallas existed 'till I read about it on the Forum,but I have watched quite a few vids(as many as I can find) & I've swallowed the guff about it,so I thought it's just been designed to used in the Input of a Marshall to give instant Angus Young :applause:,it must be a wondrous thing,i was just curious how the member I asked was using it.
    I do know that if I can stick it in front of my ORI20(well it is a Marshall:)) & it makes me sound like Angus, i'm definitely buying one,cheap at half the price.
    :band:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. Raimo

Raimo Member

No, a boost higher the signal and if you send more signal to an Overdriven amp, more gain you get. Its like when you play a strat and a Les paul. Strat has less signal because of weaker mics. If you compare these guitars in a clean amp, the LP will be loader. If you compare them in a distorted amp, LP will sound more distorted but not much more louder.

so if you want have more overdrive, you can use a boost to drive the amp and make it distort more. If you want more volume, you have to higher it up after the gain producer, in this case the amp.

i used to have two boost pedals when I was using alot of pedals. One before my overdrive pedal and one after. With just overdrive Iset a crunch sound. If I kicked in the boost I got a full dist sound for leads. If i kicked in the boost after the overdrive, I got volume raise.

scozz likes this.
  6. Raimo

Raimo Member

Yes, that is one way to use it, drive the gain stage in the amp. You need two boost pedals. One in front to produce more gain and one in the loop, scare the shit out of your audience and band mates on the lead brakes.:applause:

7. scozz

So you had one boost pedal in front and the other in the loop?

tce63 likes this.
  8. Raimo

Raimo Member

Yes, I always use double boost. One in front to drive the gain on some sounds and one in the loop to bring up the leads. No soundguy in the world is there to bring it up from the first note.

when I used pedals I did the same thing. Now im using a Boss GT-1000 connected in 4 cable method, some effects going on front and other going in the loop.

Mitchell Pearrow, scozz and tce63 like this.
  9. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Nope doesnt work, anything out front only adds more gain. If you want more volume you have to put it in the loop.

10. scozz

I'm using the 4CM also with my SC20, and I have a EQ pedal in the loop along with my wet pedals. But I have my Spark pedal in front, I never even tried it in the loop, but I'll certainly give it a try now. Thanks for the info!

11. scozz

@tce63, do you run one of your Sparks' in front and the other one in the loop?

12. What?

What? Well-Known Member

That's pretty much an overdrive. A clean boost is really just a little solid state amp, maybe with some frequency shaping. A clipper circuit limits the peaks and generates harmonics (distortion) as a result. An overdrive is just a clipper and a boost. A tubescreamer is an overdrive that lets through some of the clean signal mixed with the clipped signal and further filters off some of the lows and highs for a mids focused sound.

tce63 likes this.
  13. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Booth in front, easier to change amp if I like to.

14. scozz

I get all that, but a full size Spark pedal has level, treble, bass, and gain controls, in addition to a choice of a "clean" boost, a mid boost, and a fat boost. So does that make it an overdrive pedal?

Because it's default position is considered a Clean Boost?

I have both a tubescreamer and a full size Spark pedal, and they do completely different things to my sound to my ears.

tce63 likes this.
  15. What?

What? Well-Known Member

According to your description, it sure sounds to be an overdrive pedal to me. Maybe it doesn't do the tubescreamer thing though of mixing in a clean signal with the clipped signal and filtering off the lows and highs when in the clean mode. It sounds like it is probably a TS overdrive that allows for disabling the TS specific stuff for also being more of just a clean boost. Just guessing here, but that little 3-way switch is probably going from standard overdrive, to clean boost, to TS.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  16. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I just watched part of a video demo on the Spark Booster, and that is what it is about. It switches between an unfiltered overdrive, a clean boost, and a TS style mid focused overdrive. Not a bad way to go at all, and the price isn't insane compared to what some overdrive prices have become.

Edit: On price, it seems to depend on where you buy from. $129? That is overboard, but not insane compared to some overdrive pedals. $75? Probably a good value worth checking out for someone who wants a pedal to explore overdrive and boost.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    tce63 likes this.
  17. scozz

Well no, not at all.

The 3 position toggle switch has only 3 choices, they are “clean boost”, “mid boost”, and “fat boost”. With the “clean boost” in the middle position, so as to be the default position of the pedal.

I’m not trying to be argumentative in any way, not at all, I’m relatively new to boost pedals so I’m interested in how they work and where they should go, front or loop.

Here’s a link to the pedal I’ve got,......

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SparkBooster--tc-electronic-spark-booster-pedal

tce63 likes this.
  18. scozz

Oh man, sorry,..I didn’t see this before my last post,......I still haven’t read it yet, I thought I’d better respond first.

I’ll go read it now! Haha!

tce63 likes this.
  19. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

The TS doesn't mix clean signal and clipped signal. One OD pedal that does that is the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, but the TS definitely clips 100% of the signal.
    And the Spark is more a boost/preamp than an overdrive, in the sense that it (according to the schematics I have at least) doesn't have any diode-based clipping built in.

Also, regarding the SoloDallas, I have yet to play one or build a clone, but if the compander circuit that's at the core of it is anything like the one in older analog wireless systems, it'll probably change the dynamic response (hence, the "feel") of the amp quite a bit. Might work for some, but to me that alway was an issue with analog wireless kits. But it's also the nature of the beast. Works fine to make the amp squishier and as a front end boost though.

tce63 likes this.
  20. Raimo

Raimo Member

If that was a question for me, yes. You want get volume raise other than on clean channel if you dont run the one boost that is supposed to do that in the loop.