>

SV20H MK2 - Solo boost

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Bergstrom, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Bewlay

Bewlay Member

I hadn't heard of the JHS pedal before this thread so always nice to hear different options and that price point is spot on :)
    The tone is exactly the same, just lower in volume. I mean that's all that's happening. I'm lowering the volume after my main dirt (either a Jekyll & Hyde on green mode or an MXR Modified OD).
    Now, in an ideal world, I would get a volume boost and gain boost for solos but there's always a compromise with every amp, I find.
    So it's slightly more gain than I would like for rhythm because the attenuation is coming after the dirt but it's very workable.
    I've tried adding gain for solos with a boost/ overdrive/ distortion but this amp gets too saturated even with the gain on the 'boost' pedal close to zero.

The FX loop on the Vintage Modern is like no other amp I've used.
    EQ as a boost through it sounds awful (no volume boost btw) but an overdrive pedal through it sounds great. Madness. YRMV.

2. Bewlay

Bewlay Member

Well.....see my previous post above! Not only is tone subjective but as guitar players, our ideal tone changes not only from from month to month but....I can start a song loving the tone I'm hearing and by the end of the tune I'm selling all my gear ;)
    But yes, this is what I've found works best with the VM for the tone I'm after these days. (Always on the LDR too. I find the HDR un-usable but that might be just me.)
    Like all of us here, I'm constantly on the lookout for different options/ tone experiments so do keep us posted with what you try and how you get on!

3. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I dont know anything about the VM loop, not all loops are created equal, but with the JHS in the SV loop works great as an attenuator for my liking. I also have a LPB-1 boost in the loop after the JHS for volume lead boost. :yesway:

Mitchell Pearrow and Sustainium like this.
  4. Bewlay

Bewlay Member

Both of the amps in your sig. I would love to own, no doubt. Coupled with the right speakers, probably close enough to the holy grail of Marshall tone, truth be told.
    I'm very happy with the VM but in an ideal world I would get my full gain sound directly from the amp and use attenuation, as you do, rather than pedals.
    For what I have now, though, I can get a variety of nice tones with/ without the pedal using the EQ on the floor.

5. pedecamp

Actually, I set my amp to edge of breakup, and use various pedals to get my gain, thats how I get my clean and dirty tone with a 1 channel amp. :yesway:

JimiRules and Bewlay like this.
  6. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

7. pedecamp

8. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

haha!, that JHS is even cheaper. funny lol
    So these look a little more formidable than that little black box. Just another application is all. Fine for a 20 watt amp running a 10" or 12" speaker, but like you, I would not trust for a 50 watt amp..
    [​IMG]

_________
    edit: type 0

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  9. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Much! :D

Thanks! :yesway:

WellBurnTheSky and pedecamp like this.
  10. pedecamp

I got my JHS on sale for $38 and it goes in the loop with no chance of damage to my amp, a cheap $50 ebay attenuator I wouldn't trust between my amp and cab, who knows what would happen if it fails! :shrug:

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  11. scozz

I’ve read nothing but good things about Carls Power Soak, I own one of his volume boxes, works just fine. Carl’s Power Soak is inexpensive because it is very simple. It has no features, just attenuation.

12. pedecamp

Go for it and get one...

13. scozz

A volume box, (or a pedal), are not attenuators, they are more like master volumes than attenuators.

Attenuators enable you to push the power tubes into saturation for some great tones you could not get without it. They’re placed between the output of the amp and the speaker.

They replicate the ohm load of the speaker so the amp can not tell the difference between the attenuator and a speaker. They turn the excess wattage to heat.

Attenuators and volumes boxes are not the same thing.

Just noting the difference. :D

tce63 likes this.
  14. scozz

I have an attenuator, YOU should get one. :D

I know you had one in the past that you used with your 2204, I just think you might benefit from giving one another shot,....with your SV.

tce63 likes this.
  15. pedecamp

Some day maybe, no hurry though...

tce63 and scozz like this.
  16. What?

What? Well-Known Member

So there is already a MK2 version of the SV20 now? What changed?

tce63 likes this.
  17. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Mine is labelled as "MkII" on the front panel and is from the first run (got it over a year ago), so no.
    My guess is, it's a reference to the original Lead/Superlead being the 2nd iteration of the Marshall design (after the JTM45 line that is). A friend of mine actually couldn't believe it was a new amp and thought it was a vintage one, saying "it's just THAT classic Marshall tone, it doesn't sound like a modern one".

18. Raimo

Raimo Member

There are many ways but always in using a boost in the effect loop. If you have a multieffect, tahts easy to assign some boost. If not, I suggest bying a Boss EQ pedal. Use the volume fader to set the volume and even add some mid so it gets more a lead sound. MXR Micro amp is also godd for this, a pedal that's easy to find used.

19. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Don't think the JHS is that great may look into something else more natural sounding I figured it wouldn't. Thinner sounding and that I don't think I can live with that. The SC doesnt really need it, it can get fuller sounding at lower levels great master volume. My deluxe reverb can be a loud mother.

20. Graham G

Graham G Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Are you using the solodallas in the loop rather than the front input ?

tce63 likes this.