SV20H MK2 - Solo boost

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Bergstrom, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I'll definitely keep that in mind if i ever decide to let it go. It works it's just the switch is temperamental.

I haven't tried it with the Studios. I used it with my 50th Anniversary amps a few years ago to get them up to volume and a Class 5H i had.

I thought it sounded great myself. Having a post amp effects loop was very noticeable. Time based effects took on a studio feel used there.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I'm doing the same thing except pedals in the opposite order, LBB first and LPB1 last in the loop, works perfectly. I only use 20 watt mode, the boost adds no saturation only volume. Heres my pedal settings:

[​IMG]

3. pedecamp

Its a volume box and works extremely well without the high cost of an attenuator, mind you it neuters the gain of the amp to ACDC Zep gain levels which is what I strive for any way, I have OD pedals out front for anything heavier. So to me it works perfect, and I dont find it affects the tone in any way. :yesway:

4. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The Little Black Box isn't switchable. It just has a level knob on it. I set it and forget it. When the boost is off, I'm in rhythm mode. When the boost is engaged, I get the volume increase for lead playing.

5. pedecamp

I spoke to JHS and suggested they put 2 of these in a single pedal enclosure and make 1 or both foot switchable. :yesway:

6. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Cool, yeah just keep me in mind. I also have a Weber Mass 200 that I'd trade for it, if you had any interest. I have 2 of them, one has the footswitch bypass option, which just bypasses the attenuation (full power).

Mitchell Pearrow and Biff Maloy like this.
  7. mallen@nemontel.net

[email protected] New Member

If they are still available - I have a Hotone micro Tuner. It tunes but also has a volume knob. Turn it down to zero and tune silently like most folks. Turn it up a bit to help find drop-D a little faster (using separate volume pedal). OR crank the volume dial to 10 or maybe 12 and use it as a no-distortion clean boost for lead segments. - - - Just checked, mine is at 6-1/2.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    tce63 likes this.
  8. pedecamp

Always thought it would be cool to have a foot switchable Mass 200 for my 2204 to use as lead volume boost, keep me in mind if you consider getting rid of it. :yesway:

9. Bewlay

Bewlay Member

I don't have the SV20H but I do have a 2266 Vintage Modern which has a similar response to boosting as far as I can see. I use a Boss GE-7 EQ pedal as an attenuator on my pedal board. So the volume on the EQ pedal is set low and I switch it off for solos.
    I'm generally trying to avoid that nasally, over-saturated gain sound for solos and I've found the EQ coupled with an always-on Tube-Screamer type pedal works best to tame the highs of the amp plus give a decent volume boost for solos.

Mitchell Pearrow and Bergstrom like this.
  10. pedecamp

I've tried attenuating with many different pedals as you described (including the GE7) and it always left me with undesirable tones. The JHS box in the loop works so well in comparison and costs so little theres nothing that makes more sense than it. :yesway:

Sustainium and Bergstrom like this.
  11. Tiboy

Tiboy Well-Known Member

Very interesting point about using the EQ pedal as an attenuator. I’m actually running the 2266 and SV20 together and separate with an A/B/Y switcher. Am I correct that you are getting exactly the tones you want from the 2266 at lower volumes via the EQ pedal? This may be a personal game changer for me. BTW I am using an attenuator with the SV20.

Mitchell Pearrow, tce63 and Bergstrom like this.
  12. pedecamp

You gotta try it and see if you like it, it didnt sound right to my ear. Any pedal with a volume control will work, you can put it out front or the loop depending on the result youre looking for, you can cut or boost with it too. :yesway:

I've struggled many years with this with my 2204 which has no loop, I've decided a foot switchable attenuator will work the best which I have not tried yet. Maybe I can get @marshallmellowed to try his foot switchable attenuator on his SC20 to see how it works for volume lead boost. :yesway:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow, Bergstrom and tce63 like this.
  13. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

In your opinion my friend, :D,....let’s not forget to include that! :cool:

tce63 likes this.
  14. pedecamp

In my opinion, there is no better reasonably priced attenuating solution than the JHS box. Better? :yesway:

tce63 and Sustainium like this.
  15. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

No JHS for my rig whatsoever, or anything of the like. I would use a Speaker Soak pedal for a 20w amp.. This way you can afford to dime your SV/SC/Jubilee, and work the power tubes, less preamp section.

tce63 likes this.
  16. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

EHX Signal Pad passive attenuator. True Bypass.

https://www.ehx.com/products/signal-pad

tce63 likes this.
  17. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Similar to the JHS?

tce63 likes this.
  18. pedecamp

I have one of those too, didnt like it with my Marshall but was pretty good with my Vox. :yesway:

tce63 likes this.
  19. pedecamp

Soundwise no...

tce63 likes this.
  20. pedecamp

What speaker soak pedal are you referring too? What do they cost?

Bergstrom, tce63 and junk notes like this.