SV20H MK2 - Solo boost

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Bergstrom, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Bergstrom

Bergstrom Member

Hi,
    Been using the said top with different speaker set-ups depending on the venue. Its a great amp for me, but one thing bothers me. When soloing I use volume knob, sometimes tried a boost pedal but that doesnt sound good. How do you do when going from comp to solo? Any tips is appreciated, thanks!

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I use an EHX LPB1 boost in the loop of my SV20H, works great for solo volume boost. :yesway:

Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

3. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

Which boost pedal do you use that does not sound good?

I don't have the amp in question, but I have plenty of time on it's larger brethren and there are not too many pedals a NMV doesn't like. Single coils will also react differently than humbuckers (which are trickier to get pedals to sound decent with, and not sound like mush).

The basic types

Distortion (MXR D+, Boss DS1)
    Cleanboost (minimal to no coloration)
    Colored boost (as an example-echoplex type pre)
    Treble Booster (Dallas rangemaster type)
    Boss OD type (asymmetrical clip)
    Tubescreamer types (symmetrical clip)
    Fuzz (Hendrix, etc)

The last 3 are the most common and popular types, and there are GAZILLIONS of variations on the market for all of them.

I'm partial to Boss OD variants and Distortion pedals for a boost because for a solo, I don't really want the same exact sound as my crunchy tone- When I stomp I want something that sounds Huge and Filthy (but not really a Fuzz pedal as I use humbuckers and they can get squirrely with fuzz on top of cranked amp tone)

What do YOU want? (and maybe this should be posted/moved to another part of the forum)

4. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Looks like @jeffb and @pedecamp have nailed down some great options. Pede has the SV20 so maybe the LPB1 is the ticket for you. Although Jeff has suggested some great options too.

I don’t own a SV20 but I do own a SC20 and I use a couple of pedals depending on what lead tone I’m looking for. Sometimes it’s my Spark clean boost pedal or my Maxon OD9, (tubescreamer).

I’m also wondering what pedal you used with your SV20 that “doesn’t sound good”?

5. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I have that amp. I'm a guitar volume guy also and that method works well for different shades. Performance volume i have the amp at least 1to 2 o'clock and loud. Using my guitar works for my situation and i can get above things but another trick is an EQ in the loop where you may not get more volume but you can manipulate some frequencies to find another "spot" in the mix. You could use this either way. Set it for on and a rhythm tone then off for leads or the other way around. Off for rhythm the on and adjusted for a jump for soloing.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  6. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

I think he's referring to a volume boost, which is more challenging with a non-master amp, and more technique than specific pedal. I don't have one, but IMO, something like the Bad Cat Unleash would be the perfect approach for a non-master amp, as you retain the full tube saturation for both rhythm and lead.

7. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

+1 EHX LPB-1

8. Bergstrom

Bergstrom Member

Totally impressed by the replies! (why didnt I join earlier?) I’ve tried mostly dist/fuzz boxes, which ’screams’ a bit too much, that was what I ment by ’doesnt sound good’ (lousy at english..). What I am after is, setting a good sound and then get, more, which is of course better! Maybe a bit more bite/treble. A friend has a Boss OD, will try that. Thanks!

Mitchell Pearrow and Georgiatec like this.
  9. Bergstrom

Bergstrom Member

Ah, an EQ. Didnt think of that, must try at once, thanks!

Trelwheen and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  10. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    Jump the channels then put your boost in that loop. E.g. Guitar into top left input, then bottom left input to boost or OD pedal, then pedal back to the top right input on the amp.
    Generally you're running this channel lower than the high treble channel for your core tone, therefore there is more headroom to boost and colour the tone to your liking.
    I've just aquired a Bognor "La Grange" pedal. It not only lets you add more gain and shape the tone but also has a seperate boost button to give you even more. Not cheap, but a really great OD pedal with all the features you could need.
    Having said that, my Caline Orange Burst cost about twenty bucks and does the same job perfectly well.

Neptical, Trelwheen and Bergstrom like this.
  11. Bergstrom

Bergstrom Member

Thanks! Never tried connecting in the channel loop, must try! ✌️

Trelwheen and Georgiatec like this.
  12. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

Boss OD= Buffer
    EHX LPB-1 = Bypass

Trelwheen and Bergstrom like this.
  13. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

I would try a clean boost, EQ, color boost , or an Overdrive to just get a bit more "oomph" without drastic changes.

A good overdrive circuit with the level set high and the gain set very low, will likely give you what you are looking for.

T.J., Trelwheen and Bergstrom like this.
  14. Bergstrom

Bergstrom Member

Thanks! Will try an OD, maybe get my hands on a decent eq

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Georgiatec likes this.
  15. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Excellent idea.
    :welcome: To the forum
    Cheers
    Mitch

T.J., Bergstrom and Trelwheen like this.
  16. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I have an Unleash. The on/off switch is giving me trouble or I'd already tested it with my SV.

2 switchable volumes and a post amp effects loop.

Bergstrom likes this.
  17. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

What do you think if it? If you decide to sell it, I might be interested in it "as is". :)

18. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Unleash is a good piece of gear.

Biff Maloy, Georgiatec and Trelwheen like this.
  19. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Boost in the loop along with a Little Black Box for me. I find that (especially on 5W mode) there isn't quite enough headroom (assuming you want a good crunch for rhythm tone) so just a boost seems to add more saturation than volume boost. The LBB takes just enough off the top end without altering the tone too much. Then your boost of choice in the loop adds the volume boost you are looking for without adding saturation. I've used the LPB-1, Spark Boost, currently am using the Solo Dallas Storm.

FX send to boost in, boost out to LBB in, LBB out to FX return. I have the LBB set somewhere between 50%-75%.

Bergstrom and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  20. Bergstrom

Bergstrom Member

Little Black Box, (after Googling) is that an attenuator? And you use it at ~60% for rythm, and switch it off for boost? Interesting...