SV20H Effects Loop - Buffered and Line or Instr leveld?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Mcentee2, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Mcentee2

Mcentee2 Member

Ok, so I want to look at using something like a Kingsley Maiden preamp into my SV20 fx return.

I am wondering if the SV20 loop is buffered on its send and/or return.

Also, if it is buffered whether the send level is reduced and then increased on the return?

Another way of asking, is the fx loop at line level or managed back to instrument level ?

2. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

Depends on some other questions that need to be answered:
    > What are your main/final goals?
    > Are you planning on plugging your guitar into the "Kingsley" preamp and simply using the SV20H power section, while effectively bypassing the SV20H preamp?
    OR
    > Is your plan to stack the two preamps in series, by plugging guitar into the SV20H and sending from the effects send to the "Kingsley" preamp and then back into the return?

Just Curious?
    Gene

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  3. Mcentee2

Mcentee2 Member

First one, just bypassing the sv20 preamp completely.

Idea is to get a more "natural" clean tone.

I find that even with high/normal levels down, the two channels are either too harsh (high treble) or get too woody (normal) when pushed with too much bass/signal, even when jumpered across.

This is the nature of the beast I think given Marshalls choice of preamp bypass caps etc.

When it's sizzling it's a great Plexi, it can do passable clean, but I am after another type of clean from it.

4. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I know exactly what you mean. I have an SV20H. I love it, but never could find the clean I wanted. This may not be an option for you, but I just bought a second amp head. One that has two channels. The two amps share a cabinet. I have a Radial Engineering Tonebone to switch between the two amp heads. So I can crunch like hell with the SV20H and sparkle clean with the other amp, with just a tap of a foot switch. I'm using the FX loop of both. One set of pedals for the Marshall for adding to the plexi sound, when needed. One set of pedals with more intricate modulations to be used with the clean base tone. Got tired of fighting and searching. Bought another, and moved on. :)

Mcentee2 likes this.
  5. Mcentee2

Mcentee2 Member

Good to hear it's not just me!!

What is your clean amp?

6. mustafa

mustafa Member

Jump channels. Plug in to Normal Low. Keep Normal volume at 9-10 o’clock. Add tiny bit of treble channel as a tone control... there is your lovely clean and a great pedal platform.

Biff Maloy and Sustainium like this.
  7. Mcentee2

Mcentee2 Member

Yep, tried that, it is almost there, but any attempt to push it a bit is a fine line before flubbing the normal channel low end.

TXOldRedRocker likes this.
  8. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I couldn't get my hands on my first couple of choices of 2 channel amps that fit the place I have for it. (COVID backordered for months.) The place I have for it also meant lunchbox only. Plus, I wasn't going to spend $1.5k - $3k for clean. So instead of a Friedman, Vox, Tone King, Peavey, etc. I went with a Blackstar HT20R Mk II. It's a 12AX7/EL84 tube amp with a MV. It does exactly what I want. Beautiful clean tone that takes pedals well. I was a little surprised how much I really like it. I figured it as a placeholder until post-COVID days, but now I don't see/hear a reason to replace it.

A couple of vids for this amp, in case you'd consider it.

Decent vid, though using a combo and the private label speaker sucks (IMHO).

Of course, Anderton's loves everything, because they want you to buy it. But they do decent demos.

Mcentee2 likes this.
  9. freefrog

freefrog Member

What about a HBE Detox between guitar and preamp? See here, after 0:32:

Or, for a comparable result, a parametric EQ also plugged between guitar and preamp: Scoop the mids @ 1khz, with a low Q factor and crank up the volume control, in order to compensate the difference of output level.
    It should clean up the tone in a way that you might find useable... At least it did the trick for me decades ago in similar situations.

Side note - I'd NOT recommend the same scooped EQing plugged directly in a FX loop: a too powerful mid scooped signal is able to stress a power section in a dangerous way IME.

Good luck in your quest... :)

WellBurnTheSky and Mcentee2 like this.
  10. Mcentee2

Mcentee2 Member