>

SV20h AND SC20h??

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Guitarman1996, Sep 16, 2021.

1. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

The origin and SV do sound similar! Origin boosted too?

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Yes it is no Mxr10 band eq, which is how I normally play through it, I was trying to do an A-B comparison of them both to see how far apart they were.
    I thought they were pretty close, even though I did it 12 hours apart.
    When I finally gave my buddy John his amp heads back it was getting a little bit late .. About 10:00 at night, the MG cab they were all played through have a pair of eminence golds in it.
    Cheers

LPMarshall hack and GregM like this.
  3. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I bought a SC20 the month they came out, January 2019, I love it, absolutely love it!

The SC20 is the perfect amp for me, it’s got the sound in my head. I like single channel amps, and using my guitars volume.

As far as the SV20 goes, I can’t comment on it because I’ve never owned one, and Ive never even played one!

I can tell you this though, virtually everyone that owns one loves it! I have no doubt whatsoever that it’s a great amp.

There are some really good videos out there that represent both amps fairly well I think.

I think you can certainly get a feel for the differences between the two amps watching those videos back to back.

4. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Folks tend to always ask "do they sound different enough to have both?". IMO, the biggest difference is in how they react to your playing. Yes, they do also sound different, but that's probably of lesser significance, as they both still sound like Marshall's. Even if they sounded identical, tonally, they react differently, and you still "feel" the difference.

5. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker A Variant of Unknown Origin Gold Supporting Member

Oh... just my opinion. Some will agree, some will disagree.

I prefer to have attenuation between the preamp and the power amp sections. In other words, a Master Volume, Marshall style. Of course, nothing sounds like an amp cranked in both sections. But, for playing at lower volumes, I hear a more crisp and clean sound adjusting the preamp to where I want it, and send that to a turned down power section (attenuated in the amp design). Attenuating the amp after the power section, before the speaker output, is missing that same crisp, clean sound... to my ears. Muddy, and wet blanket, are terms that come to mind. Not much, but playing side by side, switching between them, trying with more than one attenuator, I could hear it.

FWIW, I play 60's and 70's classic rock and blues. Nothing even remotely metal. So having a brighter tone, after breakup, is a big deal to me. That influences my perception.

Again, some will disagree, some will agree.

6. marshallmellowed

Not agreeing or disagreeing, but sounds like you just haven't found the right attenuator. There's a swelling affect that occurs when overdriving the output tubes that just doesn't happen with master volume amps. I've used attenuators that resulted in that "blanket" or "mush" affect, but not in quite a while (THD Hotplate comes to mind).

7. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker A Variant of Unknown Origin Gold Supporting Member

I won't disagree with that. But I spent a lot of money buying two of the most popular attenuators and didn't find what I was looking for. I wasn't really interested in buying more attenuators until I found what I was looking for. Bought the SC20 to see if that would be what I was looking for. Was, so no more SV20 and external attenuators.

Of course, the SC20H can sound awesome cranked in a large space, like its brethren SV20H. At low volume in a small(er) space, I like the SC20H a lot.

WellBurnTheSky, scozz, wntbtw and 2 others like this.
  8. marshallmellowed

Yep, the SC20 is a great little amp. I like them both equally, just depends on what sound and mood I'm going for. Need to get them out, been playing through my 100w amps for the last couple of months. The punch of those 100 watt amps is just so addictive.

9. hpharley90

hpharley90 Active Member

I can't use an attenuator with mine.They suck. My neighbors hear me. oh well...They all have annoying loud cars and motorcycles...Even when I had my 2204 into the 4x12

ken361 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  10. dju

dju Member

ya, you need both. so in support of this I just bought a used one (SC Head) from GC's used site for a decent price. i needed it like i need another hole in the head though. I already had the SC combo. but now I have all 3 studio head versions and the SC and SV combos.

so OP, go get yours :)

11. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Hell yeah ! the beauty of having a tube amp is to crank it and feel the power if you can play at home.

Mitchell Pearrow and wntbtw like this.
  12. rolijen

rolijen Well-Known Member

Like others here, I have both. And I prefer the SC hands down. Its just effortless to get a great sound with it where the SV takes so much more work. To my taste, If I were only permitted to have 1 rock amp, for sure it would be the SC. Now, for plexi tone my 1987 is night and day better than the SV. Yes, the SV gets you into Plexitown. But just the outskirts. Where, to me, the SC feels like it’s much more in the downtown part of JCM800 City. But, if you crave that plexi bite, since you’re re gonna need to attenuate anyway, i would go for the bigger iron (1959 or 1987). Humbly submitted.

13. marshallmellowed

And the 2203x is on Main St. of JCM800 city baby!. I tend to agree with the SV vs. 1987 statement, if and only if, you need to use an attenuator with the SV. I don't use an attenuator with the SV, which is why I bought it. The only time I use an attenuator with the SV, is when I use the Bad Cat Unleash for a solo volume boost. Otherwise, it's 5w or 20w mode straight into a 4x12.

14. rolijen

rolijen Well-Known Member

I
    I think this is spot on.

15. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Have both, love both, keeping both. As of late the SV has been the favorite

16. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

You mean they don't hear you as/is? My street has heard me foul up a fair few times and even sing drunk. Sometimes, every now and then they clap if I happen to have a window open. Their taste appears to be a little more 'pop' than mine (Oasis, Queen, White Stripes to name a few that seem popular), but hey - could be worse - they could be into rap. Half of performing is knowing and feeling your audience, that's why I don't consciously play for them... :thumb:

17. Mitchell Pearrow

During the warm months, I always play with the garage door open.
    I have had people come around and listen, people who think that a party is supposed to take place, and just the curious that want to hear a loud guitar.
    One off my neighbors has stopped by and told me if we ever play somewhere to let him know so that he could come and see us.
    And I played loud for them yesterday afternoon, as I had gotten home from work early.
    Cheers

PelliX, ken361, GregM and 1 other person like this.
  18. Mitchell Pearrow

Here’s one from 5 minutes ago.
    Thanks

wntbtw, Edgar Frog, BlueX and 2 others like this.
  19. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

That was great Mitch!

20. Mitchell Pearrow

Thanks buddy I appreciate the compliment and kind words of support my friend

wntbtw likes this.