SV20c questions

K Dub

Reaction score
Hello. I joined the forum today to learn more about options to attenuate an SV20C. Are there any commercially available attenuators to consider that are comparable to the John H attenuator? I lack the knowledge, skills, tools, and time to build my own. Otherwise I may need to contact Gene about the guy he knows.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s a link to a thread from Santiago on the mismatching speaker ohms mentioned thing earlier in this thread.

He re-posted this older thread the other day,….

(graph added from the previous thread, credit to Jethro for that info).

Freddy78

Reaction score
Based on my experience with the SV20 :
- i would go for the head version with at least 1x12 cab , preferable 2x12
- Great amp but you cannot paly it without any form of attenuation as its very loud :wow:
- after trying many solution for attenuation the Fryette PS2 is the best but its not cheap

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Hello. I joined the forum today to learn more about options to attenuate an SV20C. Are there any commercially available attenuators to consider that are comparable to the John H attenuator? I lack the knowledge, skills, tools, and time to build my own. Otherwise I may need to contact Gene about the guy he knows.

@K Dub ,
FIRST> :welcome: to the forum.
NEXT> I've tried almost every brand, model and/or design of attenuators since they first became popularly available in the mid '70s. All have left me disappointed to at least some degree, some moreso than others. Even the fairly popular Weber MiniMass has it's shortcomings, like only a couple or few "sweet spots" of tonal and dynamic response, throughout the sweep of its dial! Then came the @JohnH design. When used properly, as intended, it is the most tonally and dynamically transparent "passive" attenuator I've seen to date! Once we start getting into active "re-amping" units like the Fryette Power Station, BadCat Unleash, etc, that is a whole other discussion!

I saw you involved in another discussion concerning the Tone King Ironman offerings. I've seen several comparisons betrween the Ironman Mini and the JohnH and except for the convenience of a couple of features, the JohnH was preferred, both tonally and dynamically! And while I've not tried the full size Ironman II, or any comparisons, I see two glaring downsides, right off the bat:

A> The Ironman II requires the use of a "wall wart" power supply. Wall warts are simply cheesy, at best! While I understand "WHY" wall warts exist, that's a rather lengthy discussion for another time!

B> The Ironman II is more than double the price of having someone build a JohnH and around eight times the price of building one for yourself!

If you have any interest in having someone build a JohnH for you, feel free to contact me privately through the "Conversation" feature of this forum!

Cheers,
Gene

junk notes

Reaction score
I've tried almost every brand, model and/or design of attenuators since they first became popularly available in the mid '70s. All have left me disappointed to at least some degree, some moreso than others. Even the fairly popular Weber MiniMass has it's shortcomings, like only a couple or few "sweet spots" of tonal and dynamic response, throughout the sweep of its dial! Then came the @JohnH design. When used properly, as intended, it is the most tonally and dynamically transparent "passive" attenuator I've seen to date!
:hmm:

K Dub

Reaction score
@Gene Ballzz I am unable to send you a PM (don't see the button). Perhaps it is because I am a new member and there is a waiting period before this feature is enabled?

JohnH

Reaction score
I saw you involved in another discussion concerning the Tone King Ironman offerings. I've seen several comparisons betrween the Ironman Mini and the JohnH and except for the convenience of a couple of features, the JohnH was preferred, both tonally and dynamically!

Cheers,
Gene

Hi Gene, Id like to see those! are you still able to point a link to those comments?
J

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
@Gene Ballzz I am unable to send you a PM (don't see the button). Perhaps it is because I am a new member and there is a waiting period before this feature is enabled?

@K Dub
This forum's software format doesn't call it a PM, but instead a "Conversation." If you single click on my user name, in my avatar, you'll get a drop down with an option to "Start conversation." There we can swap real emails and phone contacts, without them being fully public. I avoid any real personal stuff there, as I suspect they are monitored and not truly "private." Ergo no longer calling them "Preivate Messages!"

Hi Gene, Id like to see those! are you still able to point a link to those comments?
J

@JohnH
I'm not sure if they were your attenuator thread or in another different discussion. If in your thread, it would likely be somewhere near the beginnings of discussions surrounding foot switch operation.

Wish I Could Be More Helpful,
Gene

mugen

Reaction score
J
This forum's software format doesn't call it a PM, but instead a "Conversation." If you single click on my user name, in my avatar, you'll get a drop down with an option to "Start conversation." There we can swap real emails and phone contacts, without them being fully public. I avoid any real personal stuff there, as I suspect they are monitored and not truly "private." Ergo no longer calling them "Preivate Messages!"
Hello Gene,

I Have clicked your username and it still won't show me the "Conversation" option. appreciate it if you can message me as I am interested in getting your help to build a JohnH attenuator.

PelliX

Reaction score
Probably because you haven't got enough posts to have 'unlocked' that feature. It would work the other way around, or I can start a conversation with both of you... not sure if you can then kick me out of it (I respect Gene's offer and capabilities, but I build my own kit).

@Gene Ballzz What do you say? :)

Latest posts