SV20C, OR120C, or DSL40C for original *dry* early VH tone

jb5150

Reaction score
If you're talking VH tone, which you referenced in your title, the SV20 has more than enough gain (distortion) for that tone, But, like I already mentioned, that only comes with maxed or near maxed settings, that's how Plexi circuits work. If you tried a SV20 at anything less than 5 or 6 on the volume, you weren't hearing it's full capability. My attenuated SV20 does a more accurate early VH than my SC20, without boost pedals.
Interesting suggestion.

If I want more modern vh w the heavier gain (prob more compressed) tone would a dsl be more appropriate?

sdn25

Reaction score
Yes I did it was patched and pinned for full gain. All 10s.

Had a little black box in the loop though it’s not an attenuator.
the black box is why it seemed like you didn't have enough gain. About 50% of the additional gain comes from the output section clipping and compressing. Using the black box lowers the signal going into the output section and won't let it clip, itwill severely hinder your experience, if you have the money to blow, get a Suhr reactive load or similar, if not load box, get an attenuator like the OX (expensive) or something like the bugera power soak (relatively Cheap). if youd like, I can send you a clip of how much gain you actually have in a plexi, its more than enough to play metal in fact. Also, don't jumper the channels, plug only into the high treble input and keep vol 2 on zero, that's how you keep a marshall on 10 from farting out. You also get more gain.

sdn25

Reaction score
Interesting suggestion.

If I want more modern vh w the heavier gain (prob more compressed) tone would a dsl be more appropriate?
If you REALLY want the versatility for VH era from 70s to 90s get the 5150 iconic, it does it all, jack of all trades VH, master of none, as I call it :)

Maxbrothman

Reaction score

If you want to listen to something that just happened while messing around with one of my 4 Marshalls and weird effects placements.

I didn't have time to set things up properly and some surprises along the way.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Reality =

You can either get exactly the sound, tones and response you desire, and find an appropriate method (like a great attunuator/cheap ones suck and aren't worth the price of shipping) for dealing with and controlling the volume

OR

You can come kinda close, but "No Ceegar!"

That second option requires less effort and $$$.

Just Screechin' & Squawkin'
Gene

jb5150

Reaction score
If you're talking VH tone, which you referenced in your title, the SV20 has more than enough gain (distortion) for that tone, But, like I already mentioned, that only comes with maxed or near maxed settings, that's how Plexi circuits work. If you tried a SV20 at anything less than 5 or 6 on the volume, you weren't hearing it's full capability. My attenuated SV20 does a more accurate early VH than my SC20, without boost pedals.
I get it but that simply isn't an option in an apartment

jb5150

Reaction score
Reality =

You can either get exactly the sound, tones and response you desire, and find an appropriate method (like a great attunuator/cheap ones suck and aren't worth the price of shipping) for dealing with and controlling the volume

OR

You can come kinda close, but "No Ceegar!"

That second option requires less effort and $$$.

Just Screechin' & Squawkin'
Gene
Good way of putting it. Can't have it all, unless you get two amps.

I'd be curious to hear the SV20C with an attenuator - time to fire-up the ole youtube.

junk notes

Reaction score
SV20C, OR120C, or DSL40C for original *dry* early VH tone

As the heading states, I am looking for one of these amps that approximate Ed's early tone - in a more apartment-friendly size.

I know the SV20 is touted as a 'studio' amp and is a close proximation of the original Plexis.
If I want more modern vh
Would love to hear some opinions, experiences with these amps in relation to the sound I am shooting for.
With everything that you have posted and taking into account, using just the amp without the use of pedals and attenuators, then your best combo choice would be the 1x10 SC20C covering most of your music and apartment concerns.

jb5150

Reaction score
With everything that you have posted and taking into account, using just the amp without the use of pedals and attenuators, then your best combo choice would be the 1x10 SC20C covering most of your music and apartment concerns.
I figured as much w/o actually testing the SC.

Just the specs and samples I’ve heard online it seems the more gainier at low volumes of the amps mentioned save for the dsl

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I get it but that simply isn't an option in an apartment
Fair enough, I only recommended the SV20, because it was listed in your title as one of the amps you were considering. I assumed you were familiar with the amp, and the need to use an attenuator in an "apartment" setting. Good luck finding the amp that will work for you.

Last edited:

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
@jb5150
SV20 with a great attenuator will get you about as close as you can realistically get, in your situation. A lot of folks frown on attenuators and rightly so, because most are absolute tone/response sucking junk. And I'm talking about "passive" attenuators, not re-amping devices like the UA OX, Fryette PowerStation, WAZA TAE, etc. Passive attenuation has come a long way though, leading us to one of the best of the best, at reasonable cost, The Fabulous @JohnH M2! If you're daunted by the thought of simply building it yourself ($75-$125), I can put you in touch (privately) with "a guy" who can do it for you, for a little less than $300!

This attenuator, along with all it's testing, prowess and diagrams can be found here:

All the important build info is in post #1 of this massive thread, along with layout/wiring diagrams starting on page #111. The whole thread is worth the read for all the testing results, user build suggestions/pics/mods, etc. and the bit of useless chaff and really technical stuff is easily skimmed past!

Happy Crankin'
Gene

Last edited:

Cysquatch

Reaction score
I know people have some strong opinions about the little DSLs, but I cannot recommend the DSL20HR enough. Especially as an apartment amp, I think it'll serve you pretty well; high and low power mode that make a significant volume difference in my experience, headphone out (you do need to have a load connected, though), and doesn't need to be cranked for tone. I use mine direct in via a Two Notes Torpedo Captor (which sounds like something that would also be great for you) for recording or to play quietly through my desk monitors and I think it sounds pretty great.

It's not going to be the perfect EVH solution for the earlier stuff, but it will certainly get you close enough, especially if you have basically any stompboxes that allow some control over EQ. The later, more saturated stuff it will do pretty easily alone. I'm not an Eddie nut, but for the bit of VH I play, I'm more than happy with it.

FWIW, I don't really play VH that much, and definitely nothing after Diver Down, but into my EVH 2x12 with greenies, it's more than close enough that nobody who isn't sitting there trying to grade how well you mimic the tone will notice. And nobody will really care if you play it well, anyway.

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
As the heading states, I am looking for one of these amps that approximate Ed's early tone - in a more apartment-friendly size.

I know the SV20 is touted as a 'studio' amp and is a close proximation of the original Plexis. The 40C seems the most versatile of the lot, and well, I don't know a heck of a lot about the Origin but it's been suggested too.

I do have a LBB (little black box) which as I understand is simply an extra volume control - not sure it'd be much help for the SV20.

Would love to hear some opinions, experiences with these amps in relation to the sound I am shooting for.

Dean Swindell

Reaction score

I know the SV20 is touted as a 'studio' amp and is a close proximation of the original Plexis. The 40C seems the most versatile of the lot, and well, I don't know a heck of a lot about the Origin but it's been suggested too.

I do have a LBB (little black box) which as I understand is simply an extra volume control - not sure it'd be much help for the SV20.

I have heard many getting the VH tone out of all those amps you mention, but what I don't know is if they have a pedal on. And yes, the Studio Vintage would be the circuit they started with but then you'll have to find out just when Edward had it modded. If it was me I'd go with the DSL and settle for a great approximation. A lot of difference between a 20 watt amp in your house and a modded 100 watt in a major studio, so the SV might not be any closer, plus you get all the bells and whistles. And an FX loop for the LBB. As for "dry", I remember those albums to have some phase shifter here and there and delay on every song. And don't forget ted Templeman drenching everything in all the reverb he could beg borrow or steal. I suggest a clean boost, phase 90, Digitech Obscura and a Wampler Faux Spring.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Sorry blooped the last track. Posted the DRY instead of WET channel.

Rooster-p

Reaction score
It doesn't surprise me that only 1 person suggested the origin but it will get you there with pedals and it won't cost you the outrageous price of $1700 like the sv20. I have the origin 20c and I put a 12" greenback in it and it sounds great with pedals in front of it and you can pick em up cheap but I would definitely get the head version. Don't listen to the haters. Check out "headfirst" on YouTube, he's an Australian dude that knows his stuff and he will show you what an origin is capable of.

Latest posts