SV20C, OR120C, or DSL40C For Original *Dry* Early VH tone

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
I heard the same. In fact take a listen to this:

It's a Axe-FX w a patch that has the closest thing to Hagar era sound.

I used a Helix profile that is basically a Plexi but has 3 EQs in the chain and a Mesa IR. It has also got a flanger to help give the sound a flange if you need it. All of those profiles are jumped Plexi and one profile even had a Maxon 808 in front.

jb5150

Reaction score
I used a Helix profile that is basically a Plexi but has 3 EQs in the chain and a Mesa IR. It has also got a flanger to help give the sound a flange if you need it. All of those profiles are jumped Plexi and one profile even had a Maxon 808 in front.
Helix profile?

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Helix profile?

Line6 makes the Helix range of products. Guitar rig modelers.

Helix Native uses profiles and is the software used on DAWs and also drives the Line6 Helix line.

I bought an EVH pack for it and it sounds the closest to EVH I have heard. You only need a DAW and the Native plugin and that profile to get EVH tones from your PC.

jb5150

Reaction score
For a modeler/daw you don't need any amp per se.

I'd sooner go with an actual tube amp.

How about with your SC20H? Get close at all?

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Not Marshall but why not consider the EVH 5150 Iconic combo?

Pretty amazing little amp and there is videos of people getting a good VH1 tone.

The SV20 is just not even an option in an apartment imo atleast without an attenuator to get the amp in a sweet spot.

SC20 would be a great option if you want tube Marshall but honestly as a few others said, if you need low volume a modeler will be your best bet or even a quality solid state. Since my neighbor spends all their time home now I use a solid state with a MV in the evening... Currently NEED an attenuator to use my SV20 how I want it.

jb5150

Reaction score
Not Marshall but why not consider the EVH 5150 Iconic combo?

Pretty amazing little amp and there is videos of people getting a good VH1 tone.

The SV20 is just not even an option in an apartment imo atleast without an attenuator to get the amp in a sweet spot.

SC20 would be a great option if you want tube Marshall but honestly as a few others said, if you need low volume a modeler will be your best bet or even a quality solid state. Since my neighbor spends all their time home now I use a solid state with a MV in the evening... Currently NEED an attenuator to use my SV20 how I want it.
I have an original 5150 combo (peavey), but it's just way too big for my place. I do really like the Marshall sound these days hence being partial to owning one.

I do have a LBB (little black box) which is basically an extra master volume which I can use on an SC. I'm just curious about the tone between SC (JCM800) and DSL. Obv there's a build quality difference, with the SC costing almost double and it being made in England, whereas the chinese made DSL incorporates digital processing and double sided PCB which seem more inclined to having issues over time.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
I can't play for crap. Here is my attempt at EVH using Helix. I think this is probably the tone you want.

I am trying to achieve this using the SV20 over the coming days.

I suspect now that his sound is largely also cabs/speakers (which makes tons of sense) in addition to his amp and rig chain.

I suspect in the end I will have to use IRs to get his tone. Some SV20h into Captor X.

Wish me luck because this is going to be a hard one. Especially because I can't play to save my life and certainly not near Eddie! lol.

sdn25

Reaction score
I have an original 5150 combo (peavey), but it's just way too big for my place. I do really like the Marshall sound these days hence being partial to owning one.

I do have a LBB (little black box) which is basically an extra master volume which I can use on an SC. I'm just curious about the tone between SC (JCM800) and DSL. Obv there's a build quality difference, with the SC costing almost double and it being made in England, whereas the chinese made DSL incorporates digital processing and double sided PCB which seem more inclined to having issues over time.
I’d argue the 5150 iconic combo is more your style, as it does the early Van Halen esque tone better than the dsl range, and it does not need an attenuator, with a 12” speaker it’s about the same size as the dsl 40.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
As the heading states, I am looking for one of these amps that approximate Ed's early tone - in a more apartment-friendly size.

I know the SV20 is touted as a 'studio' amp and is a close proximation of the original Plexis. The 40C seems the most versatile of the lot, and well, I don't know a heck of a lot about the Origin but it's been suggested too.

I do have a LBB (little black box) which as I understand is simply an extra volume control - not sure it'd be much help for the SV20.

Would love to hear some opinions, experiences with these amps in relation to the sound I am shooting for.
Given the amps you've listed in your title, the SV20 would be the best choice (IMO). Eddie used a Plexi circuit, which has a midrange that is slightly different than the other amps listed. The thing is, you'd have to have the amp running at full bore to get "that sound", pretty much every control near maxed (except for Presence). This would definitely require an attenuator, unless you have a big open space to play the amp. A volume box in the loop is not an option, as it merely reduces the signal level hitting the power amp, which is not going to get you VH the way it "should be done". You might as well buy a master volume amp, in leu of that approach.

sdn25

Reaction score
Given the amps you've listed in your title, the SV20 would be the best choice (IMO). Eddie used a Plexi circuit, which has a midrange that is slightly different than the other amps listed. The thing is, you'd have to have the amp running at full bore to get "that sound", pretty much every control near maxed (except for Presence). This would definitely require an attenuator, unless you have a big open space to play the amp. A volume box in the loop is not an option, as it merely reduces the signal level hitting the power amp, which is not going to get you VH the way it "should be done". You might as well buy a master volume amp, in leu of that approach.
You can build a simple attenuator for under $30. This is the way to go imo, sv20+att. Check out an L-PAD attenuator.

jb5150

Reaction score
I found the SV20 weak on distortion, I'd have to add a pedal. Wondering if the SC20 would be a better option.

Moony

Reaction score
You could also consider an EVH 5150III 1x12 combo (not the head!).
The combo has an attenuator knob and sounds good at low volumes, especially the blue channel is a lot of fun to play!
The red channel is a bit over the top gainwise.
Look for the newer ones with the concentric gain and volume pots for the shared green and blue channel.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I found the SV20 weak on distortion, I'd have to add a pedal. Wondering if the SC20 would be a better option.
If you're talking VH tone, which you referenced in your title, the SV20 has more than enough gain (distortion) for that tone, But, like I already mentioned, that only comes with maxed or near maxed settings, that's how Plexi circuits work. If you tried a SV20 at anything less than 5 or 6 on the volume, you weren't hearing it's full capability. My attenuated SV20 does a more accurate early VH than my SC20, without boost pedals.

Last edited:

sdn25

Reaction score
How did you run the amp when testing it ? Were you able to crank all the knobs to 10?

jb5150

Reaction score
How did you run the amp when testing it ? Were you able to crank all the knobs to 10?
Yes I did it was patched and pinned for full gain. All 10s.

Had a little black box in the loop though it’s not an attenuator.

Latest posts