SV20C next to JVM410h

Detlef

Reaction score
I have a JVM410 and 1960 cabinet and I am very happy with the clean sound and the crunch channel. The master volume works great and I am very happy with my tone using an AmPro Strat. For mobility and to play occasionally with friends I am considering to buy a SV20c besides that, because I also like the 1959 SLP tone. I know the SV20 is a loud beast, that doesn’t matter I have a Rivera RockCrusher to tame it.

I have two questions I’d like your opinion.

1. Would the SV20 add a tone I cannot get with my JVM, because I think the crunch channel comes very close.

2. Would the attenuated SV20 keep it’s character and tone considering i would only top off the volume?

It would be nice if JVM owners chimed in, as they know the JVM. There are lots of different opinions on the JVM which is fine, but I am not to interested in this debate as I clearly made my choice.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I have a JVM410 and 1960 cabinet and I am very happy with the clean sound and the crunch channel. The master volume works great and I am very happy with my tone using an AmPro Strat. For mobility and to play occasionally with friends I am considering to buy a SV20c besides that, because I also like the 1959 SLP tone. I know the SV20 is a loud beast, that doesn’t matter I have a Rivera RockCrusher to tame it.

I have two questions I’d like your opinion.

1. Would the SV20 add a tone I cannot get with my JVM, because I think the crunch channel comes very close.

2. Would the attenuated SV20 keep it’s character and tone considering i would only top off the volume?

It would be nice if JVM owners chimed in, as they know the JVM. There are lots of different opinions on the JVM which is fine, but I am not to interested in this debate as I clearly made my choice.
I think I can comment, as I've owned a couple of JVM's (410H and 410HJS), and now have a SV20H. The JVM Clean Red comes closest to the tone and feel of the SV20, although with not as much gain. I never cared for the Crunch channel of the 410H, which sounds dull and a bit flubby compared to the SV20. The Crunch channel of the HJS was much better, and my favorite channel on the HJS. So, I'd answer your 2 questions as yes, and yes, although I don't see a need for an attenuator, given the 5w mode (that's what it's for).

mustafa

Reaction score
I had a JVM in the past (both 410 and 205) and have an SV20 currently. You can get JVM sounds using overdrive in front of SV20 but JVM will not be able to give you Plexi tone due to multiple cascading gain stages. You can get great tones from JVM but after using SV20, any other amp seems to0 compressed and thin sounding to me.

WellBurnTheSky

Reaction score
I've never owned a JVM, but played a bunch of them, and have owned and gigged a SV20H for a year now.
To answer your questions, yes and yes. And the SV will give you a feel and responsiveness miles above what the JVM can offer (which was my main gripe with the JVM to begin with, but honestly the SV is more responsive than any amp I have ever played).
And yes, with the right pedal in front of it, the SV can get you the JVM high gain tones. But still be way more responsive and rewarding.
Especially since you have the Rockcrusher, which will allow you to treat the SV as a Master Volume amp. Of course, as always when you're attenuating (or using a master volume for that matter), tone changes just because speakers don't sound "right" below a certain volume point. But yeah, since you already have a tool to control volume with the amp, I'd get the SV. Best amp I've ever owned, and one of the very best I've ever played.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
A standard 410H with certain speakers can get you very close to a SV20. Using both clean channel and crunch channel will get you close to an SV20 depending on how you setup the SV20. The range of the SV20 can be dialed anywhere from a mostly clean tone to a crunchy & raunchy tone. With that range in mind, several modes on the JVM clean channel and several modes on the JVM crunch channel will get you close. In Addition, the speaker you choose will help fine tune the tone. JVM is a different amp, so you won't get dead on accurate SV20 tones, but you can get on the same street in the same neighborhood. So I'd say no, SV20 won't get you anything really different that you can get with a JVM410.

The flip side is where you'll need to do some thinking, which is the wider ranger of tones on the JVM that the SV20 clearly cannot do on its own. Stock, the SV20 will not get you anywhere near the high gain tones of any JVM4 or JVM2 amp; you might be able to use a od/distortion pedal (maybe EQ pedal, too) to get your some more distortion/overdrive, but after while it might get a little muddy and a low end might not be as tight and defined. But here is where you need to do some thinking: for your stated purposes (easier mobility and for playing with friends), the SV20 might be a good fit. Only you know what you'll need for those situations, but as far as mobility goes, the SV20 would be much easier to transport.

I think you loose a little something when using an attenuator, but that could be debatable. I think the built-in low watt feature would probably be a better option than the attenuator. I would say yes, using an attenuator would change some of the natural character and tone for the SV20.

Good luck with your decision.

Detlef

Reaction score
I am not in the really high gain region for my tone. The 1960A is loaded with the default G12T-75‘s. I guess there is some room for improvement. I really like the clean tones probably with a germanium fuzz face and volume rolled back up to the end tubes breaking up.

i come from the Fender clean side to discover very late that what I am really looking for is that Marshall EL34 clean sound.

TXOldRedRocker

Where's the exit?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Asking for the need for another amp on a forum like this is dangerous, of course i need another one! It’s the direct uncompressed sound that adds the extra value.

Waiter! I'll take one of everything! :hbang: