ckaudio

Reaction score
Cheers ck, I'll discuss with it my chap. He'll source the schematic and then we'll take it from there. Undoubtedly it'll be more problematic working with a PCB than handwired. Used to have all sorts of fun and games many years ago dealing with the '80s M solid state amps, dry joints etc were rife:rolleyes:
Cheers! Yes handwired are usually much easier to work on! From what I could tell while I was in there, the PCBs are really good quality and assembled well (probably because they’re UK made?) definitely better quality than the solid state Marshall’s that I’ve had my hands on 😂

goldtop0

Reaction score
Cheers! Yes handwired are usually much easier to work on! From what I could tell while I was in there, the PCBs are really good quality and assembled well (probably because they’re UK made?) definitely better quality than the solid state Marshall’s that I’ve had my hands on 😂

Cheers again, yes those old JCM800(if you could call them that) solid state amps were sometimes shockers and sold by the truckload here in NZ due to them being cheaper than their valve counterparts.
A good learning curve for me.

mpv1504

Reaction score
Is the bright cap completely bypassed when the volume pot is dimed ?
Some claim that it still produced a slight effect, but I don't see how.

tidbit

Reaction score
Just did this mod to my SV20, tried a couple of different values just for safety but yes, 100pF was sounding good - didn't try even lower values since I didn't have them on hand. Sounds very good right now, compared to stock cap it's so strange I could tolerate it for so long - that brightness was glaring.

Thank you for the instructions! That demo sounds awesome.
I just did the same finally this week. I absolutely love how the amp sounds like now. The painful brightness at low to moderate volume is gone.

ckaudio

Reaction score
I just did the same finally this week. I absolutely love how the amp sounds like now. The painful brightness at low to moderate volume is gone.

Glad you liked the result! It gave me exactly the sound I wanted out of my amp!

ckaudio

Reaction score
As per your posts the 100pf.
He's seen a lot of old Marshalls etc over the years and Fenders and the bright caps have mostly gone or been changed as we're discussing.
Nice! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you get it back 🤘🏼

Latest posts