SV Loop question help

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Madfinger, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

I am thinking of adding my Joyo American Sound in the loop return on the SV. Theory is to be able to switch from The Marshall Tone & settings to a Fender clean through the power section. Can this be done, is it worth the hasstle? It's my first amp with fx loop so working out how to do this has fried my brain & I don't want to blow anything up. TIA. Edit: in the amp that is.

SkyMonkey and tce63 like this.
  2. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

The problem I would see is that you'll still be feeding that pedal with the Marshall preamp, so you may not get the expected results. Now, if you plug your guitar directly into the JOYO, and then plug the JOYO into the effects return, it might give you waht you seem to be looking for, as you'd be bypassing the Marshall preamp. There may be some sort of "dual A/B box" that would allow you to switch your guitar from one input to the other and also what signal (Marshall preamp vs JOYO) feed the effects return. For that matter, I (or someone else, even yourself) could likely build one for you! I think you'd first want to see if plugging into the JOYO and feed ing the effects return with it ptoduced useful results. I'm thinking that simply inserting in the loop may not be what you really want!
    Just My $.02,
    Gene

3. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

I use a Boss LS-2 (Line Selector) for just this sort of setup (w/ Valvestate + MT-2).

The guitar plugs into the LS-2 Input.
    Then you have two Level adjustable loops: A & B. (Clean = Green?)
    Have loop A for the JOYO: LS-2 A Send > JOYO IN > JOYO OUT > LS-2 A Return
    Have loop B for the SV preamp: LS-2 B Send > SV front > SV Send > LS-2 B Return
    The LS-2 Output then feeds the SV Return.
    Set the LS-2 to A<>B.

ls2_gal.jpg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    El Gringo, Madfinger, fitz288 and 2 others like this.
  4. Madfinger

Thats my thought as in having a simple foot switch to use the full SV pre amp & then be able to switch to the American Sound through the EL34's.

5. Madfinger

Excellent. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, much appreciated. I'm starting to learn the versatility of fx loops.
    :cheers:

6. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I'm thinking guitar into an AB box, A goes to front of the amp and B to the Joyo then from Joyo to loop return, you can switch between the 2 setups with the AB box. Or do the same thing with an LS2 instead of an AB box, it would be cleaner and add functionality. :yesway:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    SkyMonkey likes this.
  7. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Connecting to the SV Return breaks the internal signal chain.
    If nothing is connected to the SV Send, the serial signal chain is broken. So you wouldn't hear the SV.

Madfinger and pedecamp like this.
  8. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^ What He Said! ^^^^^^^

Thus the need for a dual A/B type of switcher, as shown! Pretty slick little unit, although with it's level controls, I question how transparent it may or may not be. I guess you'd just need to play around with the levels to find the closest to "unity gain" setting as you can.
    Let Us Know How It Works Out For You?
    Gene

Madfinger and SkyMonkey like this.
  9. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Correct. He would need a device located in the loop, using both the Send and Return Jacks. Otherwise, one of the signals will always be muted ("preamp in" signal or "preamp bypassed" signal). Beyond that, he'd need an A/B method of routing the guitar signal to either the amps input, or the device in the loop. Don't know if the LS-2 device mentioned can do all that, or not, never used one.

10. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

LS-2 is a good choice, its basically foot switchable between 2 loops in the pedal, connect one direct to the front of the amp and one direct to the loop. :yesway: