Super-Vee Double-Locking Tremolo System: Any Experience?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Gianni, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I am considering this for an American Fender Stratocaster, as it can be installed without making any irreversible changes to the guitar. (Super-Vee | BladeRunner | Fender Stratocaster | Tremolo Bar)

I’ve watched every video and read all I could find about it online, and it appears to be at least as good as an original Floyd Rose system, but have unfortunately not been able to find a guitar with it to play where I live.

If you’ve had any experience with it, could you please help me with ANY of the following questions?

1. Are you happy with tuning stability and tone?
    2. Are the fine-tuners ‘fine’ enough?
    3. Can it ‘dive’ as smoothly, and as low, as a Floyd Rose bridge?
    4. Is the space between the saddles and fine-tuners enough for comfortable palm-muting?
    5. Did you run into any difficulties during installation, and do you have any related tips as a result?
    6. Is the procedure for setting it up to float the same as with a Fender bridge?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwRqDRIqZIo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwRqDRIqZIo[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uljTw16uQsM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uljTw16uQsM[/ame]

BlackSG91 likes this.
  2. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

I've never seen these before but that looks sexy as hell! :)

Gianni likes this.
  3. Bear R.

Bear R. Well-Known Member

Man, that really looks promising..i never heard of it, but I like it..Alot..!!!

Now they need to make one with the 2 blade post just like the Floyd, for newer Fenders...but man this is nice from what I can see..and with Floyds, you gotta raise the whole unit for string height..with the Fender Bridges, they have the individual saddle adjustment..which I love..so with this locking trem. you got the best of both worlds right there..man it's nice..if it's everything they claim it to be, look out..it seems to blow away that new Floyd Rose trem for our Gibbys..with those you gotta drill 2 holes just above the nut..and to me,that's not cool...but, anyways for a Fender no mod unit..it looks incredible..glue the new nut in place and your set.

SG~GUY, BlackSG91 and Gianni like this.
  4. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

they do (w/ 2 post adapter set) $12.95-
    https://www.super-vee.com/order/

holy hannah!!! $399. um,nope.

5. 12barjunkie

12barjunkie Well-Known Member

Exactly; talked myself right out of it

blues_n_cues likes this.
  6. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

Much sexier and more functional than the 2nd-generation one, as you now have access to the truss rod without removing the nut, just the string-locking part. :yesway:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BlackSG91 likes this.
  7. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

ditto. I was gonna consider spiffing up my old Squire or the Yammyhaw $50 CL find but naw.... it may hve to be a Korean Floyd after all.

8. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

There you are! :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BlackSG91 likes this.
  9. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

There’s a cheaper option - the BladeRunner - if you don’t really need a locking nut, which seems to work quite well. :yesway:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWKupVdhRzA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWKupVdhRzA[/ame]

BlackSG91 likes this.
  10. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

Drop-D tuning without a D-Tuna! :hbang: (at 0:35)
    (If the bridge is set up to not float)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4PSbQQ2pHQ]Hercules Castro Demos the Super-Vee Tremolo System - YouTube[/ame]

11. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

Hey, maybe I don’t need a locking nut either! :hmm:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-i_a3U2oPY]Super-Vee Bladrunner Bridge/Tremolo Demo - Tuning stability - YouTube[/ame]

12. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

Looks like a very well engineered/built piece of equipment....

Just a side note on the locking nut situation that seems to be an issue for a lot of guitarist, I used to have an SG-X with a Khaler trem, didn't have a locking nut, but had locking tuners, never had a "going out of tune" issue..

GIbson made a couple versions of this, one was a flying-V..... with!!!! TRIBAL TATTOOS on it!!!! Who the hell would ever play/buy/be seen with such hideous symbolic designs on it!!!!

Gianni likes this.
  13. alhayesmusic

alhayesmusic New Member

I want a super vee. I played one a while back. Really good trem, vintage feel but stays in tune. The locking nut is way better than the traditional Floyd style, in my opinion.

Bear R. and Gianni like this.
  14. S.A.T.O.

S.A.T.O. Well-Known Member

I own one, it's got a different feel from a Floyd but works just as well. Cool thing is you can use it with a Floyd nut if need be.

Gianni likes this.
  15. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

I just like the fine tuners, i dont do dive bombs and vibrato with the bar but i do like tuning to chords and fine tuners are sweet for that. I also like the sound from a big heavy tremolo like a floyd or a vintage fender bridge with the big heavy block.

I dont see how the nut lock thing works.

The whole idea behind the floyd lock is to prevent the strings from unwinding at the tuners

No modifications? that nut looked like a pretty tricky modification to me. err wait i see how it works now.

16. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I kinda like this better on Strats...

blues_n_cues likes this.
  17. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for your response, AlHayesMusic! Having just had a look at your forum profile, I cannot but take your word that we should both buy one. :thumb:

18. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

At last, a fellow member who owns one! Thank you very much for your response, S.A.T.O.! :thumb:

I presume your saying that the Super-Vee “works just as well” as a Floyd Rose basically ‘covers’ all questions in my original post.

S.A.T.O. likes this.
  19. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

I do like the Floyd Rose system myself, but only Mexican Strats have it, while I wouldn’t want to have an American Strat modified to accommodate one, which is why I searched for an alternative tremolo system in the first place, and found the Super-Vee.

Replacing the nut is, as you saw yourself in the video, very easy to do, and can hardly be considered a major or irreversible modification. The important thing for me is that no routing is required for the Super-Vee bridge to be installed. :yesway:

20. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member