Suggestions for 10" greenback

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I'm curious what some of your opinions are on a 10" speaker with greenback character.

Obviously the G10 Greenback and the WGS Green Beret are top of my list with the WGS sounding more like the classic G12M GB to my ears but listening to any speaker demo online can yield vastly different results... I find it kinda pointless to listen online for this reason, I'll check out 3 or 4 different demos and they all sound a bit different.

My Lead 12 currently has a G10N40 and honestly I really dig how it sounds, very classic celestion imo but am definitely curious if something else could yield closer to the classic G12M GB voice.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious what some of your opinions are on a 10" speaker with greenback character.

Obviously the G10 Greenback and the WGS Green Beret are top of my list with the WGS sounding more like the classic G12M GB to my ears but listening to any speaker demo online can yield vastly different results... I find it kinda pointless to listen online for this reason, I'll check out 3 or 4 different demos and they all sound a bit different.

My Lead 12 currently has a G10N40 and honestly I really dig how it sounds, very classic celestion imo but am definitely curious if something else could yield closer to the classic G12M GB voice.
I have some G10M-30's, but never compared them to the WGS.
Best speakers I had in my Lead 15MS cabs.
Awesome GB breakup when I cranked the mini - not sure if you're going to get that at neighbor friendly bedroom volume.
Got them mixed with VT-jr.'s right now in my 210 columns.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Another one on my list is the Jensen Mod 10-35, I'm hearing some GB character for sure on this guy.

I've check mojotone, weber and eminence but not entirely sure which of their models would align with a GB.

Alnico gold. Also it will quadruple the value of your amp 😎
Haha yeah they undoubtedly sound terrific! It's on my list but not entirely GBish to my ears... Then again who knows when out playing them in person. Either way every demo of the Alnico sound beautiful!

I have some G10M-30's, but never compared them to the WGS.
Best speakers I had in my Lead 15MS cabs.
Awesome GB breakup when I cranked the mini - not sure if you're going to get that at neighbor friendly bedroom volume.
Got them mixed with VT-jr.'s right now in my 210 columns.
Thanks for the input! I admit I feel biased for wanting the Celestion G10 Greenback simply because it's Celestion and says greenback but tbh in the demos it's not 100% selling me on the "greenback" quality but that's why I'm looking for some first hand experience around these parts.

Fernieite

Reaction score
Celestion G10L-35 speakers sound great, and were good enough for Marshall to use in their 4x10 cabinets in the 80s and 90s.
That might be a good speaker for you as well.
Perhaps you could find a reasonably priced one used in very good condition to try out? I've only seen them in 8ohms though. Does your lead 12 need 16ohms?

Last edited:

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
If you compare the frequency response charts of both the G10 & G12 Greenbacks, you'll see that they have little in common in that all important 1.5kHz to 5kHz range:

G12M-Greenback
T1221-G12M-Greenback-copy.jpg

G10-Greenback
T5646-G10-Greenback-copy.jpg

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Weber Ceramic Blue Pup.

tedweber.com
Thanks I'll check these out!
Celestion G10L-35 speakers sound great, and were good enough for Marshall to use in their 4x10 cabinets in the 80s and 90s.
Perhaps you could find a reasonably priced one used in very good condition to try out? I've only seen them in 8ohms though. Does your lead 12 need 16ohms?
I have heard good things about them, I'll look into them as well, thanks!
If you compare the frequency response charts of both the G10 & G12 Greenbacks, you'll see that they have little in common in that all important 1.5kHz to 5kHz range:

G12M-Greenback
View attachment 113130

G10-Greenback
View attachment 113131
Yeah listening to all the demos I could find I felt I didn't really hear any "greenback" quality to them.

So far I'm digging the WGS 10" green beret most, wish there were more demos of them. The few I've found definitely remind me of a GB and then the demo on their website definitely sounds like a GB imo but... I'm always hesitant of speaker demos, especially on the manufacturer website.

PelliX

Reaction score
Would you be entirely opposed to running it through a cab? I mean, if you're after 12" Greenback tone... a 1x12 Greenback cab sounds like it could be your ticket.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or - you could drop a 12" G12M-25 in there.
It's been done.

Mojotone has some Watchtowers in stock atm.
$25 less than the retail GB's

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Would you be entirely opposed to running it through a cab? I mean, if you're after 12" Greenback tone... a 1x12 Greenback cab sounds like it could be your ticket.
I've got a 4x12 I'll eventually load with the new Watchtowers but for the day to day practice I want to keep the 10", it makes a big difference in my current set up in the bedroom. My DSL40c and Supersonic 60 1x12s are still too much speaker for this little space... and I had the SV20 and 4x12 in her before that 😄... The 10" is perfect 👌
Or - you could drop a 12" G12M-25 in there.
It's been done.

Mojotone has some Watchtowers in stock atm.
$25 less than the retail GB's
Yeah I saw some guys managed to fit a 12 in very cleanly but as I told PelliX, I prefer the 10" for using it as a combo. I plan to use it with my 4x12 when I want bigger speaker sound.

I just saw lastnight the Mojotone Watchtower are back... Anyone have any info on whether it's the same speaker as before? I was under the impression the Watchtowers were rebranded Celestion G12Cs from the VM run, Didn't Celestion stop making those?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just saw lastnight the Mojotone Watchtower are back... Anyone have any info on whether it's the same speaker as before? I was under the impression the Watchtowers were rebranded Celestion G12Cs from the VM run, Didn't Celestion stop making those?
Not sure about the latest batch, but consensus on the previous ones were the G12M for 8-ohm (I got a pair), and the G12C for the 16-ohm.
20211112_170133-s.jpg 20211112_170145-s.jpg

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Another serious candidate for my quest is the Eminence RF10C... I'm definitely hearing a GB character and the Frequency Response follows similar curves.

Right now my top contenders are the Green Beret and the Red Fang 10c.

If anyone has clips of the WGS 10" Green Beret besides the few of Vaughn's on YouTube I'd be much appreciated. I'm really thinking this one sounds similar but don't have enough demonstration to really feel confident.

junk notes

Reaction score

I have heard good things about them, I'll look into them as well, thanks!
Excellent speaker choice combination with the G10.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Interesting enough while looking at reviews and posts about the G10N40 I found a thread at TGP where a Celestion rep replied, he said the G10N40 is a "more chimey" G10 GB that was built for OEM but ended up also making it to Celestion's product line.

I'm thinking I'll probably waste money chasing speakers because honestly I LOVE what I'm hear from the G10N40, 100% sounds like an old vintagey Celestion to my ears. I've just been in a speaker kick and have fomo with speakers haha...

So far I feel like the WGS is the only one purposely made to imitate a G12M GB. The Celestion G10 GB is based off of the 70's 10s it seems. The G10L35 sounds promising and will be on my list to look out for.

Does Tone Tubby make any Celestion voices speakers? I feel I've kinda covered all speaker manufacturers at this point and so far the only one that truly makes me want to experiment with is the WGS... maybe the Red Fang 10 and G10L35... Hmm I also really loved how the Eminence Legend 1058 sounded in this Vibrolux I played not too long ago but isn't Celestion voiced... hmm...

Wish there was speaker stations at guitar stores like they have/had in best buys and car pros etc for demoing speakers in person.

Excellent speaker choice combination with the G10.
I will keep these on my radar, I'm liking what I've been reading up on and some demos I've found.

Dino Boreanaz

Reaction score
There are so many good 10" speaker options these days, including the G10N-40 that you have in the combo now. I had those speakers in the cabinets of my 3005 Lead 12 Micro Stack and really liked them. They made the amp so much more musical than the stock speakers. Like you though, I was also curious about other options and tried a few including some vintage 7442s and the G10 Greenbacks. I now have a pair of the G10 Greenbacks in the cabinets and have no plans to try others. I found the G10N-40 and G10 Greenback to be very similar sounding when I tried them back-to-back. Just a little more top end from the G10N-40, and a little more mid push from the G10 Greenback, but I can't comment on how any of these compares to a G12M GB as I have no experience with those.

You may have already come across some other threads while looking into your options, but I'll post links to threads that contain other information, experiences, and options to consider.

https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/lead-12-combo-whats-your-fav-speaker-upgrade-10.116355/

https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/i-ask-for-your-opinion-on-the-celestion-g10-greenback.113772/

https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/lead-12-3005-mini-stack-speakers.106641/

https://www.marshallforum.com/threa...-greenback-g10n40-or-other-for-my-cab.121406/

I didn't ever get around to trying them out myself, but the Eminence speakers that might provide similar tone would be the Ramrod and the RF10C from their Redcoat series.

In any case, enjoy the amp and have fun experimenting with the speaker!

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I kinda spaced on the G10 VT Jr ... I dug it in my Origin20c, might sound classic paired with the Lead 12.

The Gold is pretty promising too...

WGS and VT Jr are top of my list to try then maybe the RF10C, G10L35 ... Ah decisions decisions...

There are so many good 10" speaker options these days, including the G10N-40 that you have in the combo now. I had those speakers in the cabinets of my 3005 Lead 12 Micro Stack and really liked them. They made the amp so much more musical than the stock speakers. Like you though, I was also curious about other options and tried a few including some vintage 7442s and the G10 Greenbacks. I now have a pair of the G10 Greenbacks in the cabinets and have no plans to try others. I found the G10N-40 and G10 Greenback to be very similar sounding when I tried them back-to-back. Just a little more top end from the G10N-40, and a little more mid push from the G10 Greenback, but I can't comment on how any of these compares to a G12M GB as I have no experience with those.

You may have already come across some other threads while looking into your options, but I'll post links to threads that contain other information, experiences, and options to consider.

https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/lead-12-combo-whats-your-fav-speaker-upgrade-10.116355/

https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/i-ask-for-your-opinion-on-the-celestion-g10-greenback.113772/

https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/lead-12-3005-mini-stack-speakers.106641/

https://www.marshallforum.com/threa...-greenback-g10n40-or-other-for-my-cab.121406/

I didn't ever get around to trying them out myself, but the Eminence speakers that might provide similar tone would be the Ramrod and the RF10C from their Redcoat series.

In any case, enjoy the amp and have fun experimenting with the speaker!
Thanks man, I did stumble upon those threads as well in my search. I appreciate the input from someone who has tried both the GB and N40, I'm not sure I'd like the GB as I love the chime of the N40, I wouldn't trade the chime for mids for my ears... Maybe if I find a GB cheap I'll try it just for fun.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I made up my mind!

The Tone Tubby Green 40/40

Here's the 10"... Poor sound quality for this demo

They make a 10" so I am hoping it sounds similar as the 12, I'm hearing it in the second video.
I'm definitely getting G12H30 vibes, I can't find out if it's supposed to be like a Celestion but by the description of "mid focus", "woody" I think that's what they are aiming for, atleast to my ears.

Anyone try one of these?

Tone Tubby 10" 40/40
1660808277942.png

G12H30 Aniversary
1660808366490.png

Last edited:

junk notes

Reaction score
Cool. Are people or the Marshall crowd starting to use TT for Marshall's? No one I know of over the years has, but they have hidden magic when turned up in Fenders.
yes, I can highly recommend the hemp cones in Bf and SF Fenders. They are ideal for the players who turn up the volume as the more you push these, the better the breakup, the better the tone. The TT's in the Deluxe and Princeton make thouse amps sing at loud volumes! The cleans are nice (on the warmer side).

GL and looking frorward to hear your review in this combination @Maggot Brain.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Cool. Are people or the Marshall crowd starting to use TT for Marshall's? No one I know of over the years has, but they have hidden magic when turned up in Fenders.
yes, I can highly recommend the hemp cones in Bf and SF Fenders. They are ideal for the players who turn up the volume as the more you push these, the better the breakup, the better the tone. The TT's in the Deluxe and Princeton make thouse amps sing at loud volumes! The cleans are nice (on the warmer side).

GL and looking frorward to hear your review in this combination @Maggot Brain.
Definitely! Out of all the 10s these were the only ones that truly excited me. I don't really feel confident with the other options but listening to all the TT 10" lineup and what I'm reading online and can find on the 40/40 it seems these are closest to what I'm looking for.

I'll give a review and record a demonstration since there isn't much out there for 10s.

Latest posts