Stupidity.

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by iron broadsword, Jan 21, 2016.

1. iron broadsword

iron broadsword Well-Known Member

Yep, I have the dumb. I just discovered that I've been running my 4100 at an impedance mismatch (amp 8, cab 16) for about a month and a half, about 5 hrs a week. Go me.

I wish I could tell you this was the first time, but no.. I really need to stop playing around with this stuff. XD

I'm not alone in this, right? Right?

2. big dooley

big dooley Well-Known Member VIP Member

that's the main reason i like the multiple outputs marshall is using today, when you reconnect your cab you have to think which socket you take instead of assuming the selector switch is in the right position

anyway, a wrong load is not as bad to the amp as no load at all, so i'm pretty confident to say the amp should be still ok

3. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

It will be fine because the amp was at 8 and the cab is 16 ohm. It could be an issue if the amp was at 16 and the cab was at 8 ohm. As long as the load is equal and/or higher in value than the amp.

4. tschrama

tschrama Well-Known Member

Yeh, don't worry. Your amp will be fine . Did you notice a slight different in sound? They way you connected your cab (cab 8, amp 16 ohm), you can expect a slightly more pronounced bass, less damping, less mids, and a slightly more pronounced top end. I usualy like that more than the other way around (cab 16, amp 8 ohm).

5. big dooley

big dooley Well-Known Member VIP Member

that is true for solid state amps, not for tube amps, but generally 1 step of a mismatch aint that much of a problem usually

6. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

You can't fix stupid.

7. iron broadsword

:lol:

Yeah, I know it's fine.. I'm just sayin'. And yeah I did notice that the amp was sounding off.. less mids and the amp was quieter was my perception. I brought the amp home to diagnose it and 'lo and behold it was just running a mismatch.

8. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Dodged a bullet.
    I left mine on standby for a couple days a while ago.
    I dodged one too.

9. iron broadsword

Heh, probably just put an extra 48hrs on the heaters.. and they're never the first things to go anyways.

10. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

digital & ss amp players NEVER have this problem....:cool::lol::applause:
    (flame on)

11. Coronado

Coronado Well-Known Member

Correct Sir, you are not alone. I think I may have won the pig - I bought a cab that had mismatched speakers (and different ohms - 2 were 16ohms, and 2 were 8ohms) and ran my head at 16. I noticed a difference in sound between the 2 sets of speakers and took a picture and posted it here on the MF. Luckily, Dogs of Doom, Ghostman, Johnfv, and SG Guy saw that I was a dumbass and quickly told me to shut off my amp now and fix that shi*t mess I had going on in there. They helped me get it all straight, provided a diagram, recommendations, and better wire suggestions. Not my proudest moment. :nuts: Very grateful to some great guys that took the time to help a dummy out!

12. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

Nah, we just plug the guitars into the headphone jack and wonder why there's no sound. :ugh:

13. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

I thought you were gonna say you were dumb for still playing a 4100! (Inserts famous "DSL" video and runs away!) :lol:

JK.;)

14. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, I was using guitar cables to connect heads to cabs.
    Didn't know what impedance even was or if it was matched correctly.
    Come to find out later it wasn't... or even close!
    Add, countless hours of super loud kid band practice levels in the garage & basement.

Point, you should respect and treat gear properly.

But where did this notion that amps are these super touchy, wimpy, delicate rice paper crafted flowers? They are a lot more rugged & robust than some people give them credit for.

15. Riff

Riff Active Member

When I first got my Orange 1x12 cabinet to go with my TSL 601, I thought the ohm switch was just for the cabinet, not the combo and cabinet together. The cabinet was 16 ohms so I put the switch at 16 ohms...for about 2 YEARS!

I finally figured it out after going to the speaker section here. I didn't notice much difference and the amp is still going strong. Whoo!

16. tubes

tubes Well-Known Member

The first thing I did when I bought my 4100 (I mean after understanding that I am a perverse noddy for even buying one) was to re-wire a cab to match.

But if we're talking as wakjob suggested..."when I was a kid..."
    Sure enough, all kinds of stupid back then.

17. iron broadsword

What happened was I had swapped the cab to 8 ohms for stereo, and put the head on 8. When I changed the cab back I got distracted because band members were starting to show up and I forgot to put the head back on 16. hehe, it's all good. I know these things aren't featherweights and I'm not worried I damaged the amp, but had I not looked it would have stayed there for years because the amp never moves. :lol:

18. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    It seems like these days it's very rare I get to rehearsal, set up all my gear, plug in a guitar and actually get sound. Usually there is something in the line I have not plugged in properly / switched on. There is then much cable tugging and checking around the back of the amp to look for what I've screwed up this time. :ugh:

So no IB, you're not alone.

PS. Never mind the time I left my 2466 on stand by for 3 days :facepalm:

19. iron broadsword

Haha. Well, to help me with setup I made a snake for my cables. I grabbed some of that plastic flex tubing they use for running wires in cars and send my wires to and from my pedalboard inside that. Makes a lot less hassle and keeps things looking nice. Had to color code the cables though.. duct tape on one, electrical tape on one, and masking tape on another XD

20. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

I know someone who left one on standby for several days a while back but the amp still seems to work fine. Stupid guy is named John and looks a lot like me :hmm: