Stupid question time

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by GregM, Nov 23, 2020.

1. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Do we all think to ourselves, this amp/guitar lends itself to this song, I can hear these tones, so we learn the song?
    Mine is a dsl5cr and in it I hear 28 days, rip it up, so I decided that was a song I wanted to learn.
    Anyone else get dictated to by their gear?

neikeel, DaDoc, nickfox and 3 others like this.
  2. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I mostly play my own music, but hell yea
    :welcome: To the forum
    I like to hear some of my favorite songs and then use a tone similar for something to come up with.
    I don’t try and match it, but my generic tone is very similar to the band’s I love..
    Cheers
    Mitch

3. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

I loved this song but never intended to learn it, not in my usual genre, I'm more a punk to indie guy, love old British forms UK punk and of course anything by East Bay Ray, but playing whatever songs with power chords always reminded me of this

4. Sapient

Sapient Life Coach & Birthday       Planner Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

Not I. I'm selfish in that I like to define my own sound and way of playing. If I were back in the day and was actually a guitar somebody I'd like to be labeled a "Style Maker". I just like my own thing, I guess.

5. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

I also kind like the solo around 150, it's pretty cool and super easy. Just don't trust ultimate guitar tabs, it's not quite right

6. giblesp

giblesp Well-Known Member

Good gear tends to take you places. Some days I may just ride the wave. Some days I'll try and get close to the sound of a favorite artist.

7. FracStrat

FracStrat Well-Known Member

Interesting thread .. @Dogs of Doom may move it to a different place tho..
    I tend to be like Gible ..
    Most days it’s totally Improvisational Musings..
    Welcome to the MAF !!

8. dro

dro Well-Known Member

With the band I got into when I was a kid. They had me learning songs I would've never even thought of. For instance. Disco sucks. But I was in a variety dance band. So being 1978. I had to play some. Some of it wasn't too terrible. Taught me allot. Taught me simplicity. Taught me discipline. Taught me, What you leave out, is just as important as what you put in. Even more so. Taught me how to appreciate Boz Scaggs, Manhatten Transfer, and Kool And The Gang. As well as Willie Nelson, Eddie Rabbit, and Merle Haggard. My favorites were Eagles, Doobie Bros., and Little River Band. Love the harmony's most of all. Was always left a bit short in the tone department. My Peavey Duce wasn't bad, Just didn't deliver what I heard in my head. I always imagined the JTM 45 was what I wanted. No one carried Marshall in my little poe dunk area. When Mail order arrived on the scene. I would see the price of the JTM and it would just blow my mind. When I saw my first used one some 20 years later, at a GC 100 miles away. I played it. That's it. I had to have it. For the first time. I was getting the tones of my dreams. Next came the 800, then the JMP. You guys can have the DSL's, JVM's, and Astorias. I'm good. Any song that I want to learn, one of mine can cover. Not into the metal scene, or I would likely have a DSL. I know the music I like, is becoming less popular. That's ok with me. I'll be gone soon enough. And the emulators can have it all for all I care.

9. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

To some degree, when I plug in my Strat I tend to warm up with Hendrix, plug in my LP I warm up with Zeppelin, plug in my SG I warm up with ACDC.

10. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

After many years of playing i only learn covers when required. I've pretty much settled into what i do as a guitarist. I do find myself playing different with certain guitar/amp combinations. LP and my SV, Origin i had, etc, for example my 70s influences come out but a super Strat and a high gain amp legato and hammer pulls flow.

FracStrat and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  11. dro

dro Well-Known Member

I don't like the way a Strat makes me play. I don't know if it's the scale, The tone or what.
    I played G&L for a long time, 25.5" scale I was good with them.
    But. Once I started playing Les Paul I was done.
    Of course in order to make a Strat sound like what you hear on the records. You need to mod and compress the hell out of it.
    If PG's rig rundowns have shown me anything. It's that a stock Strat don't get on with most artists. Even the Sig models get their pickups swapped out allot.

FracStrat and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

@OP: sometimes I do get that urge to try something new based on a tone that I think might be similar to gear I already own, but I usually just stick to writing my own stuff. Still, it might help establish a kind of "memory" or reference for what you gear can do.

Mitchell Pearrow and FracStrat like this.
  13. giblesp

giblesp Well-Known Member

I have both a Les Paul and a couple of strats, know what you mean with the scales. I can appreciate both. My CP 50's strat has a similar scale to a Les Paul, that's pretty nice.

14. Chrome

Chrome Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I honestly tailor to taste to my own ears. I want to sound like me if that makes sense. that being said, the majority of music I listen to or am inspired by are quite simular in nature. and when I learning new stuff, the sounds I try to capture is more in my hands than chasing different tones. the way I play, the aggressiveness or lack there of in which I attack the strings in chords and notes. I find that I'm satisfied with my playing best that way.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  15. dro

dro Well-Known Member

That's the bottom line.
    Pleasing yourself first. Will make everything you do. More authentic.
    I please myself every day.

16. Marshall Stack

Marshall Stack Well-Known Member

That might be more information then we need...
    :fever:

Ray Baker, fitz288, SkyMonkey and 2 others like this.
  17. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Can I help it, if your mind is in the gutter?

18. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Yes.... Been a high gain amp and pointy guitar gearhead for a very long time so I did mostly chugga chugga and fast widdly widdly solos, then I got a GAS for british-style amp and a Les Paul, now I aimed for crunch tones and riffs.. .

Mitchell Pearrow and GregM like this.
  19. Zylo

Zylo Member

next stupud question

i have the dsl5cr amp

speaker output is 16ohm

im thinking oif upgrading to a 1x12 cab

im assuming it new speaker will have to be 16ohm too? does it matter what Watt the speaker is please?

( i am leaning towards a vintage v30 speaker)

20. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Sometimes I'll be playing a certain amp/guitar/pedal and I'll realize "Hey, that sounds like (enter song title here)!"

For example, soon after I scored my Sola Sound MK IV Fuzz, I was noodling around with my Strat and Twin Reverb setup, and kicked the pedal on..Instantly I realized that it was the same fuzz sound from the Count Five's "Psychotic Reaction"

A few minutes later I pretty much had the song nailed! :D

GregM likes this.