Studio series question

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by GregM, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Sir Don

Sir Don Well-Known Member

Go for the SC20 is my advice.

2. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Only if your last name is Bradman!

3. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

I've played plexi style amps my whole life, so I might be biased, but...
    To me, the SV is the amp that interacts the most with your guitar. It becomes part of the instrument and is great fun playing.. but you'll probably need an attenuator

The SC is the SVs practical brother. Not quite as interactive but still a lot of fun

Of the four, the 2525 is probably the one least responsive to your guitars volume pot, with the diode clipping. But it'll give you that late 80s hotrod sound with ease

And DSL is the modern take on super lead. Higher gain and still cleans up from volume pot . Easy to use and a staple on backlines everywhere

This said, I find all marshals does well in the interaction with instrument department. There are many amps and rigs out there where the amp is just a monitor playing "A sound" regardless of what you as a player does or put into it
    J

4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

I use my 2525H as a pedal platform for a covers band I'm in, set on the clean channel, but with the gain up towards starting to break up (not using the diode 'clip' function in this case). I don't get the comments about it being 'dark' though as the EQ is really flexible and it's possible to make it very bright if I wanted to.

The tone is very dependant on the position of the (first) gain control: It gets much brighter when turned down due to a 'treble bleed' function that is built in, so that has to be balanced with the treble control and presence settings I find. If I change to a guitar with a low output, then I tend to have to turn the gain up and therefore the treble too. For gigs I'm using a Strat with a build in active mid boost, so I can leave the 2525H's gain knob alone and just control from the guitar without altering the tone.

I also have an SV20 and a Palmer attenuator so I can play it at home and also to control the level in smaller rehearsal studios we use. It has a lovely clean tone and it's a coin flip as to whether I prefer it or my '64 Custom Deluxe reverb for cleans. I don't tend to use high gain, but the crunch tones are amazing on it.

They are two quite different amps (otherwise I couldn't justify having both), but both have their uses. I love how on the SV20 when jumpered I can balance the two volumes which ever guitar I plug in and get a sound I want within a few seconds.

I've never tried an SC20, but if one comes up on the used market I might take a chance, just to make up the set.

5. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

I have the SC20H and matching 2x12 cab and I'm VERY happy with them! I have no experience with the other two but I think the SV20 sounds really nice also in the various demos.
    On the SC20 'clean' channel I can get very nice rockabilly type tones (Cramps, Tiger Army), clear and articulate.
    The high sensitivity input gives me all of the classic rock, hard rock, punk, and hardcore tones that I grew up with and can get as nasty as you like (from Malcolm's AC/DC tone to Black Flag / Minor Threat). The 20W mode through an attenuator is R&R heaven and one of the best Crunch tones I've heard anywhere. I have also learned to dial in the 5W mode for use without attenuation and am able to get really good Crunch there as well.
    For best results I have a SD-1 pedal out front (boost only, no gain) and a little reverb/delay in the loop. I play at home in my basement and this works very well.

6. Spiro Mandylor

Spiro Mandylor New Member

SC all the way. Beautiful amp and very loud. I actually bought the combo version. I tossed out the 10” V-Type speaker, cut out a bigger hole and replaced it with a 12” Vintage 30. Sounds amazing. Never a fan of built in OD or reverb in an amp. I have pedals for that.

Attached Files:

7. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

I've tried 2 attenuators with my SV a reactive and a resistive one - didn't like either. Conversely I looooove the sounds I can get it just using a volume control in the loop and a pedal - Hot plexi sounds forever and amazingly realistic - better than I hoped it would be. This is at quiet living room levels. Never had the chance to turn it up. Yet. Swapped out the tubes for some ' better' ones and swapped the originals straight back in.

Also I have a DSL40CR. No attenuators needed for that - sounds equally awesome at the gig or in the bedroom.

Old Punker, tce63 and Jethro Rocker like this.
  8. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

What is for OPs style, that will determine a lot.
    One can see a variety of responses, it comes down to OPs taste. All are good amps. I am a higher gain guy amd while I am glad I bought the SC20 recently, I still need a pedal up front with it amd for gigging, one jn the loop. The Mini Jubilee needs no up front pedal fpr the most part but one in loop for solos. For home use no OD required.
    All comes down to taste

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Old Punker and tce63 like this.
  9. AxlOz

AxlOz Member

Allow me to generalise these for you:
    The SC is a JCM800 - so its great for 80's rock tones etc
    The SV is a mini Plexi - so its great for Hendrix tones etc
    The Jub is basically Slash tones.
    The DSL series cover newer rock and heavy rock tones - 2000's onwards

So if you're familiar with the tone of the JCM800's or JMP's you'll know what to expect from the SC and SV. If you love Slash, just get a Jub and crank it up.

Old Punker and tce63 like this.
  10. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

Yeah, definitely 12" speaker for that amp!

tce63 likes this.
  11. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

OPs taste is as varied as the day is long .
    From cleans to 80s rock, to blues to 80s punk, to more modern emo, indie and indie rock bands. I have a Lil dsl5cr so I think modern tones are kinda covered and cleans are pretty good, just looking for some higher tones with bite without killing the low end to get it.

tce63 and Jethro Rocker like this.
  12. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Funny enough, this video showed up in my recommended list today ... dude sounds more Metallica than Metallica these days!

LPMarshall hack and tce63 like this.
  13. Jethro Rocker

Well, if you love more saturated tones, consider a Jubolee. Slash? Meh....

tce63 likes this.
  14. Jethro Rocker

I say Jubilee. Or SC maybe. SC might be a better combination with the DSL.
    Jube covees all that without extra pedals. SC will not.

GregM and tce63 like this.
  15. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Think I nearly have enough pedals from my solid state, before I got my Lil dsl
    Have wah od and distortion ( haven't used on the dsl), then delay reverb and a looper/drum thingy ( never really used the drum thingy but it's cool),
    Could probably use compression, chorus and maybe a tuner, but don't see a lot more in my future.

Jethro Rocker and tce63 like this.