Strat with JCM 800

El Gringo

Reaction score
Well, Im not an engineer . I dont do the math ,if I can help it

But being a musician AND technician...I got a good ear by now (I think)
By "JCM800" Im assuming the OP meant a 2203 or 2204 (which are not specific to the JCM 800 series ....but anyhow) . The "issue" with these amps for me is always the TWO treble peak caps . I was always curious as to why they needed two (hell ,even one) . I wonder what in the f*** they tested these amps with. My conclusion is, they must have used an ES-175 on the neck pickup (I say that half jokingly ,half not)

This topic comes up all the damn time ,and I always point to where Im pointin' now. My favorite , just-bought-an-amp-on-the-road solution IS, to remove the treble peak cap from the board ....remove the bright cap from the pot ...replace the brite cap with the one I took off the board . A lotta time ,that's enough ,if it's not , I remove that other peak cap as well . TONE don't lie

One more thing you guys haven't mentioned (I dont think) is CURLY CORDS. Curly cord is an inductor . put one in the chain ,it'll tame things a good bit. Two curly cords and a fuzz face will make you Jimi fckn Hendrix ,by golly

Me personally , I like my strats n teles to be just the twangy beasts they are ........I got a Les Paul for the other sh*t
Words of wisdom and sage advice . :headbanger:

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am struggling dialing a good tone with my 76 strat and 800.
It is ash and maple and it wears fender pure vintage 65 pickups.

My main beef is that the tone is extremely trebly . I play with my tone on 5 for bridge and on 3 for neck.

Lately I'm playing with more volume from the amp and I dial down the volume from guitar like Ed King from skynyrd did. And I found out somewhat good tones. But the thing is that I have to do so many things in order to sound somewhat good.

How do you dial up your strat with a 800? What pickups do you have equiped ?
I use stock maple and ash Strats and Teles with my stock 800’s and no ice pick. On my 2203 and 2204’s I turn the treble and mids to 1, adjust to taste from there. Bass and preamp at 5. This kind of tone will sound great at home but will not cut through the mix with a band. Treble and mids at 5 will take your head off, doesn’t matter what guitar or pickups you use. The higher you turn the preamp, the darker it gets.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
A 0.1uF cap will it dark.

Fender-0096453049-1.jpg
Is Fender selling these old style caps again?

dna9656

Reaction score
Hi all,

My main beef is that the tone is extremely trebly . I play with my tone on 5 for bridge and on 3 for neck.

Lately I'm playing with more volume from the amp and I dial down the volume from guitar like Ed King from skynyrd did. And I found out somewhat good tones. But the thing is that I have to do so many things in order to sound somewhat good.

Strats (and Fender guitars in general) are known for their trebly, glassy sound. It could be you have the wrong pickups, or wrong guitar; maybe you'd be happier with humbucking pickups...
BTW, as far as I can remember CBS Strats of the '70s weren't liked by many, it had the 3 screw neck plate (vs. the 4 that were used prior and has again been in use for a long time), weak pickups, nearly flat fret radius, and huge head stock. I liked the guitar, I had a ash and maple one with a black pick guard, pickups and knobs. I installed Bill Lawrence Strat humbuckers on it and a Starz Guitars preamp; painted the pick up cavity with conductive paint and connected it to it to the ground circuit of the guitar. it drove the amp (I think i was playing through an older Gibson tube Combo amp them) just fine and had a tone that was pretty right on Clapton's Slow Hand EP especially the song "The Core". I traded it for a black Les Paul Standard, at the time I some how got piece of RG 58 antennae wire mixed up in my stuff; it really killed the sound thus the reason I got rid of the Strat and got the LP, that sounded like crap too so I swapped the LP for a Ibenez Artist that was ash and maple (I think) and somehow got a new cord, wow what (imagine that) a difference! I traded the Artist in on a Clapton Strat at a music store, I still got that guitar! It's a keeper!

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
Hi all,

Don't over think it. That's a classic combo which, if everything is working right, should sound killer right out of the gate, forget about wood and stuff. If it's too bright then turn down the presence, treble and mids. The midrange controls on these amps control almost everything. Leave the bass knob all the way up. No pedals until you get a good straight tone first. Or, maybe it just isn't the sound for you.

Kolanti

Reaction score
I have a similar problem with my '78 JMP on the high input. How's the sound from your low input?

Do you also get a squealing sound at times?

Not sure if there's a bright cap on the JCM800's pre-amp control. On my '78 I've got the pre-amp at full (to bypass the bright cap) and my strat's tone controls need to be around 5 on both neck and bridge. With treble & presence pretty low on the amp. Sounds great then, it's just annoying

on the low input its classic fender sound, very smooth and sweet cleans.

Kolanti

Reaction score
I play vintage Fenders, nothing normal there. In comparison, Fender scored big when the CS came out with that pickup set.
i had them on my 1980 strat, rosewood, alder. Nothing spectacular. didnt like em tbh lol

krunchy

Reaction score
I ran into the low input and used good pedals to get met crunch tone. May not be a solution for everyone but it worked well with my strats, not a fan of the hi input, especially with strats. I used get a lot of compliments on my tone, clean and crunch.

harleytech

Reaction score
I ran into the low input and used good pedals to get met crunch tone. May not be a solution for everyone but it worked well with my strats, not a fan of the hi input, especially with strats. I used get a lot of compliments on my tone, clean and crunch.
+1 - !00%... I agree with this ! That's what I do too... I am also not a fan of the high input... I use pedals too and I get great tones with my CS Strat and Les Paul on the low input... FWIW..

Kolanti

Reaction score
Hi all,
So I bought a TAD 0.10uf cap and its day and night with before. Way better sound without annoying piercing highs but it keeps a good attack. Never thought a cap can make such a dramatic change of tone