>

Strat with JCM 800

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Kolanti, Apr 3, 2021.

1. dragonvalve

dragonvalve Well-Known Member

He stepped on something. Pedal?

2. hpharley90

hpharley90 Member

if it's a RI. if not no loop.

Crikey likes this.
  3. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

Fought this for awhile with my strat. Then put Melody Maker in..instant goodness & then the Nighthawk on single split.. can get strat like tone with out the super treble & changing the settings at all. Use these 2 a lot now in the mix.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    Mitchell Pearrow and Kolanti like this.
  4. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

https://rorygallagher.com/effects-pedals/
    Considering the era, probably either a Colorsound Overdrive, the Hawk Booster (which I gather was a germanium treble boost, sounds very similar to classic Brian May btw) or an early TS-808.

5. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Btw, what are these Pure Vintage 65 pickups? Pretty sure I've never heard anyone name those when asked about good/popular/favorite strat pups, so could be the issue right there

And does the guitar get along with any other amps, or same issue?

6. Kolanti

Kolanti Well-Known Member

When I go from my Strat to my 70s Les Paul Custom man its day and night. Marshall and Les Paul are meant to be together .

@Adieu the Pure Vintage 65 pickups are made by Fender and they are put in their Jimi Hendrix Signature strat. Since my strat is big headstock white with maple I wanted to be the "Hendrix" strat, little i know that these picku

7. WellBurnTheSky

One thing Norum does (he also switches from Strats to LPs and Vs) that might help is, he has an EP Booster that he uses as a "fattener" when using his Strats (he uses FS-1s and has a tone pot for his bridge pickup too btw). That might be the ticket (that or another pedal such as an EQ, graphic or parametric, or a "fat boost" like the Aiwa tape deck Blackmore used to use as a preamp) to solving your problem.

Kolanti likes this.
  8. AlvisX

AlvisX Garage Guerrilla Gold Supporting Member

Well, Im not an engineer . I dont do the math ,if I can help it

But being a musician AND technician...I got a good ear by now (I think)
    By "JCM800" Im assuming the OP meant a 2203 or 2204 (which are not specific to the JCM 800 series ....but anyhow) . The "issue" with these amps for me is always the TWO treble peak caps . I was always curious as to why they needed two (hell ,even one) . I wonder what in the f*** they tested these amps with. My conclusion is, they must have used an ES-175 on the neck pickup (I say that half jokingly ,half not)

This topic comes up all the damn time ,and I always point to where Im pointin' now. My favorite , just-bought-an-amp-on-the-road solution IS, to remove the treble peak cap from the board ....remove the bright cap from the pot ...replace the brite cap with the one I took off the board . A lotta time ,that's enough ,if it's not , I remove that other peak cap as well . TONE don't lie

One more thing you guys haven't mentioned (I dont think) is CURLY CORDS. Curly cord is an inductor . put one in the chain ,it'll tame things a good bit. Two curly cords and a fuzz face will make you Jimi fckn Hendrix ,by golly

Me personally , I like my strats n teles to be just the twangy beasts they are ........I got a Les Paul for the other sh*t

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  9. dragonvalve

Hendrix had a built-in ice-pick killer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kolanti and AlvisX like this.
  10. Kolanti

does this actually work or is it a gimmick from Hendrix's sister to milk the legacy even more?

Adieu likes this.
  11. dragonvalve

It stands to reason that a long guitar cable will make the signal lose highs.

Whether it was his sister's ploy or not is another matter.

Low impedance cable ideas and transformers were invented to make signals through long cables on microphones survive the length. A high impedance mic did not sound as well as a low impedance SM58/57 connected to a transformer.

Gilmour had a studio on his boat. To survive the long cables to his amps at the other end of the boat, transformers were designed to allow his guitar signal to make it to the amp.

The guitar for all intents is a high impedance signal using a high impedance cable. And most likely the coiled cables Jimi used back in the '60's were not as high quality as we have today. I remember cable technology for musicians was not the same back then as we can get now.

Cables affect the signal. It then affects the tone. Some say they can't hear the change. It's like air, you can't see or hear it but it's there.

Send a high impedance signal through a long coiled cable, the the highs will attenuate.

Whether Jimi was conscious of this fact or not is not the issue.

You can try it yourself. Get a long cable and then a short cable and see if the highs decrease.

That and probable that Jimi had in his '68 a 0.1uF cap which were standard caps for '68 Strats are now standard on artist series Strats made for Hendrix, SRV et al.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  12. Kolanti

13. dragonvalve

For some reason couldn't view the page.

You can also try any cap that will fit with a 0.1uF rating.

There's also ceramic caps in the 0.1.uF range.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Russian mil-grade similar to PIO caps.

You can experiment which you like better. There are many out there. It has to fit the cavity in your guitar and still be 0.1uF.

Some pull caps out of old radios and find the tone they like.

14. WellBurnTheSky

25€ for a cap is robbery, simple as that. PIO caps sound slightly different to a 1€ Orange Drop, in no shape or form worth the insane price Fender is asking for these (same for the reissue bumblebee bullcrap).
    If you REALLY want a PIO cap for the mojo factor, you can either get some NOS russians ones on Ebay such as these (you'll even have some spare ones if you want to mod other guitars):
    https://www.ebay.fr/itm/12-pcs-0-02...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

or even get a Mustard from Thomann (they have them in different values too):
    https://www.thomann.de/fr/tad_capacitor_22nf_630vdc_mustard_400170.htm

Don't waste you hard-earned money on snake oil, especially for an experiment.

15. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Maple and ash with vintage style pickups?

I couldn't design and build a brighter sounding guitar formula than that if I TRIED.

Plug a Les Paul into that sucker and you'll soon learn that it's not the amp that's amazingly bright, it's that guitar.

16. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Maybe just buy normal strat pickups like CS 69's?

junk notes likes this.
  17. TheCount0212

TheCount0212 Active Member

And/or 250k pots.

18. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Reading the posts, I have been down this road in the past, I have done somewhat similar. The remedy for your criteria (Ash/Mpl), I can recommend a Brass block. Kluson makes a direct vintage replacement.
    This little inexpensive and reversible mod, makes everything better that you are pointing out. No loss of sustain from the original steel block, and highs are smoothed out. I would leave the original pot and cap values..

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  19. Lee_

Lee_ New Member

I have a similar problem with my '78 JMP on the high input. How's the sound from your low input?

Do you also get a squealing sound at times?

Not sure if there's a bright cap on the JCM800's pre-amp control. On my '78 I've got the pre-amp at full (to bypass the bright cap) and my strat's tone controls need to be around 5 on both neck and bridge. With treble & presence pretty low on the amp. Sounds great then, it's just annoying

Kolanti likes this.
  20. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

I play vintage Fenders, nothing normal there. In comparison, Fender scored big when the CS came out with that pickup set.