Strat volume pot wiring question

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by jak, Jul 4, 2020.

1. jak

jak Active Member

Hey all. im replacing my volume pot and saw something I just wanted to check on.
    Instead of the ground being wired to lug 3, lug 3 is folded over and soldered onto the pot very close to the ground but not soldered to the same solder joint as the ground. I’ve only done simple swapping of pups and pots with nothing unorthodox so I’m not knowledgeable about strat wiring, and so I don’t know if this was done since it is electronically the same end result—just a technique variation—or if there is a purpose to this.

And the purpose of my question is: should I replicate what I see done to that third lug or can I just solder the ground to the extended lug as I normally see?

look at the pics and especially the closeup. Lug 3 and the ground are close but the solder/joints are not Communicating.

thanks for the help

2. jak

jak Active Member

3. jak

jak Active Member

4. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

the pot case is ground...

everywhere I pointed to here, is ground:

ground.jpg

the easiest way to do it, is to bend the lug over & solder it direct to the case...

5. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Every part in a amp and guitar needs to be grounded. All power wants to do is go to ground . If not grounded you could have a ground loop

6. jak

jak Active Member

Understood. I was talking about the string ground, the wire from the pot case to the claw I usually see soldered to lug 3. In this case lug 3, as you said is easiest, is bent /soldered to the pots and the claw wire is separately soldered to the pot.

just to test things I left the lug where it is unbent and soldered the claw ground wire to lug 3. I have no sound and quite a bit of hum.

is that the reason? All connections are solid. Duplicated from the old pot. Except the String/claw ground wire Goes to lug 3. Is that why no sound?

I’ll try bending the lug on the pot

7. jak

jak Active Member

Can’t bend the lug to reach the pot. It’s too short. I cut a jumper and connected the lug to the pot. And soldered the claw wire to the pot separately. All good now. thanks for the help all.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  8. jak

jak Active Member

Btw what is the other ground wire coming off the volume pot that disappears under the guard in my top pic. It is screwed into the wood body in the route by the bridge. The claw wire grounds the strings/bridge to the pot. But this wire is doing what? Grounding the wooden body to the pot?? Don’t see any shielding foil under the screw, just a piece of metal like a locking strip, and the cavity paint looks like the rest of the body paint.. not conductive. I guess to add if I wanted?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020