Still looking... (Super Bass)

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by Daniel.S, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Daniel.S

Daniel.S New Member

DaDoc likes this.
  2. Seanxk

Seanxk Well-Known Member

Yep gut shots and are transformers original, seems quite high priced for a MK2 though.

3. AndyD

AndyD Well-Known Member

Made in 1975. Looks in good shape. Gut shots essential.

4. stratburst

stratburst Active Member

The price is right if it includes the cab.

5. Daniel.S

Daniel.S New Member

I guess prices for everything guitar are bonkers
    I'll update you guys on the guts shots as soon as I get them!

DaDoc likes this.
  6. hotrodtikigod

hotrodtikigod Member

7. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Looks very clean and unmolested, given that there are no all-important gut shots. If it's as clean and original internally, it's a bargain by today's standards.

DaDoc and Daniel.S like this.
  8. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

9. hotrodtikigod

hotrodtikigod Member

A bargain especially because the Canadian dollar is sitting at 77 cents. So it converts to around $2700 US.

10. Daniel.S

Daniel.S New Member

It would be coming to Australia hahaa

11. Daniel.S

Daniel.S New Member

Well, I got some photos from the seller and I'm not sure what he meant by gut shots as he just sent me these.
    I've specifically asked for shots of the electronics, so we'll see how we go.
    crjhusqpeipd2afu7nbd.jpg ial3bdszwll3dodby5fg.jpg o8ri5fi6ir3urg2k55af.jpg ofysugm7uiga6dtfvnaq.jpg taocvejldc38e4ssghd0.jpg y9apbpqv84tbzakfsmrw.jpg

12. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

A trend I've noticed lately is the "local pickup only" bit..What's up with that?

It used to be only a very few sellers who did that, now it seems to be more and more sellers are demanding local pickup, rather than shipping out..And if they do have a shipping option it's super expensive, WAY more than it should cost to ship..:scratch:

In any case, good luck with your search! An old JMP Super Bass would be an awesome amp!

Daniel.S likes this.
  13. playloud

playloud Well-Known Member

@Daniel.S I posted this in another thread, but maybe consider this one (closes in a few hours): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175050159969

It's a bit of a gamble, but maybe less than advertised (perhaps more knowledgeable members can provide a better assessment?)

I've noticed this too. I think there are a couple of factors:
    • More demand for gear in general means that it's easier to sell locally (and the hit you take on price is less noticeable. If you're still mentally expecting pre-Covid prices, 80% of what you could have got if you'd been willing to ship may still seem like a win.)
    • Covid has made shipping more stressful, unreliable etc.

International shipping has become a nightmare. Having said that, it's often the only way for people in smaller, more remote markets to get hold of the good stuff. It's always helpful to have friends in different parts of the world to forward packages for you. Failing that, there are plenty of good mail forwarding services nowadays. I've used Comgateway for high-value items with success (they only use DHL, and it's pricey - but worth it for the piece of mind).

Daniel.S and DaDoc like this.
  14. Daniel.S

Daniel.S New Member

OK! Finally got the important photos!
    cugszveh4k8f3ms6bqyp.jpg inqfa5feazdchni9zinp.jpg o3yplnaqmbkunwod8i19.jpg q2btxdnae3wpizf5huzv.jpg qo5ue7k6m4cj9dfukbke.jpg tytodff6wl0xjalkzqhp.jpg

junk notes likes this.
  15. AndyD

AndyD Well-Known Member

Looks great inside. Non original presence cap. Split cathode on a super bass? That’s been added. Can’t quite work out how the grid stoppers are wired. I’m sure it’s ok.

junk notes, neikeel and Daniel.S like this.
  16. Daniel.S

Daniel.S New Member

I’ll wait until others chime in to make the purchase. It seems pretty clean overall.

17. Matthews Guitars

It's pristine and apparently nearly untouched. Even the original banding around the dressed wires are all intact. Aside from the split cathode and the bright cap it looks like nobody has ever done anything in it since it left the factory.

Jump on it before I decided to raid my rainy day fund and buy it myself!

Buy with confidence....if you get what is pictured, you win.

Daniel.S likes this.
  18. Seanxk

Seanxk Well-Known Member

V1 Valve base replaced, ( V4/5/6/7 odd too )
    OT wiring should have bands and wires look quite new ( 90's Marshall replacement? ), it might just be me though but this period 75/76 is an odd one and way out of my experience.
    I would ask @neikeel for an opinion.

Edit, V1 base is still cold riveted??

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  19. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Pretty good overall, not 100% but for its age - very good.
    As noted lamp has been replaced, V1 socket does not match (replaced or ex factory?)
    SB with V1 split is common mod with correct parts
    Hard to tell with OT as both selectors have had solder joints touched up and PT is certainly original.
    Replaced Vol 1 cap (normally 5nF ceramic) and presence cap - not an issue
    Input jacks are not the ones I expect to see but could be original, again not an issue.
    Series ceramic caps on the mixers is not unusual. PI tail 10k looks like a replacement
    Over all excellent and the work done appears to be of good standard.
    If the price is right.....................

AndyD likes this.
  20. Matthews Guitars

I saw the difference in the V1 tube socket but note, it's riveted in with identical rivets to the other sockets.

Only a MADMAN (such as myself) would replace a tube socket and bother to rivet the replacement in. So I'm going
    to speculate that this tube socket may be original. It's certainly not impossible that Marshall would have mixed tube
    sockets in an amp.

Or....if it is a replacement, someone bothered to rivet it in and obtained the same rivets Marshall uses. That's less likely.

The patina of age on the crimped side of the rivets also matches on all three sockets. Further evidence that it's original.

V4,5,6, and 7 look original to me. Marshall used a variety of tube socket types. All four match, all four appear to have their
    original Welwyn screen resistors, the wire dress and style looks right, even the way the ground lugs are arranged looks
    like is seen in an untouched example. Soldering looks good, but I see no red lacquer on the joints, which would have been
    applied in quality control checks. But since there appears to be NONE of that in this chassis, it doesn't mean that the joints
    were disturbed at some point.

I do see that the top cap disc on one of the Daly reservoir capacitors is bulged. That may or may not mean anything.
    The blue shrink wrap is not over-shrunk due to heat which happens when the cap is getting electrically leaky, and
    there is no indication that the cap vents are starting to pop.

This amp does have the version of the output circuit where only 2 1.5K grid resistors are on the power tubes, run between V4 and V5, and V6 and V7, connecting to the orange and green OT wires. That's factory but the other scheme which is better is to have one 1.5K resistor on each tube, all fed from the orange and green wires. That's also factory and as I understand it, that is a later revision to the way the amp was built. The four resistor circuit is supposed to make for a more stable amplifier, but the existing two resistor circuit works.

Daniel.S likes this.