Statins..Anyone here have to take them?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by DaDoc, Jan 4, 2021.

1. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Senior Discount Member Gold Supporting Member

@DaDoc Good luck at the Dr., Doc. My research showed me what happened to @Derek S former boss. Statin's make your blood work look better, but do absolutely nothing to prolong life. The most glowing researched showed a possible length of life by 7 months. But, you have the possible side effects of liver damage and others. that's why I'll never take them. Again, this is my own opinion, from my own research, as a smart person, but non-medical professional.

Lifestyle is the key. Genetics plays a role.

Jethro Rocker and Derek S like this.
  2. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Forum Support Spec. Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Here's to pharmaceutical drugs: :rofl:

You can push the bubble down here, but it will only pop up again over there in the form of side effects.

Have you tried dumping the carbs, sugar, fats and preservatives and trading it for a routine of oatmeal (rolled oats) for breakfast every day? Fresh fruit and vegetables? Laying off the Lay's (chips and snacks) and eating less greasy meat? Actually getting something the ancients called exercise? Quitting alcohol, smoking and lowing stress?

For many, there are better ways to manage health than to sign up at the local corner drug dealer for a refill every 30 days.

Your body isn't sending out extra cholesterol because it's not getting enough Lipitor or Simvistatin.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    ricksdisconnected and DaDoc like this.
  3. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

Thanks. Agreed about genetics...which reminds me of an old runners joke I abuse when friends comment on my fitness, which usually go like "how do you stay thin" or "you make running look easy", etc, my cheesy answer is always "thanks, I just picked good parents" lol.

Shame about your buddy. Those long climbs are really tough on the body (as you know), even IF you're conditioning is great, it's still ultra demanding, no doubt that's why they implemented that into the treadmill tests, it really taxes the body vs other methods of pushing it. After that race I mentioned being concerned about competing in and getting the scan/stress test before hand, I didn't quite feel 100% for several days after (we raced from the bottom to the peak of the highest mountain in the state, just brutal).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    Jethro Rocker likes this.
  4. dro

dro Well-Known Member

I've been a taker since 2016.

5. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

We dumped the crap food and carbs a long time ago. We eat mostly organic food, and cook it ourselves..Makes for a lot more dishes to wash, but worth it IMO.

I may have stayed on the Paleo diet too long, but it's more likely my past coming back to haunt me. We do eat a lot of red meat (beef) but it's organic and grass-fed. Or wild meat like deer or elk. We're going to go with a more Mediterrainean-based diet going forward, and I have to say I'm looking forward to it!

Don't smoke per se, except for sometimes a bit of herb, and like a little tequila or single malt scotch from time to time..Quit beer for the most part a long time ago as well.

Exercise..Well yeah, I've been slack on that one..But I've started back doing that too. In fact that may have been what triggered my episode, but my doctor told me to stay with it (which I was going to do anyhoo) just go light.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Derek S, dro, Jethro Rocker and 2 others like this.
  6. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

The trip to the doctor went about like I expected, she wants me to have a heart cath procedure done, that's the one where they go in and look at your arteries to see how much buildup there is in there. I agreed, not looking forward to it but I suppose it does need to be done, if only so I'll know what I'm up against.

Apparently if they need to put in a stint or do the bit with the balloon they can do it while they're in there, if I wind up needing open-heart surgery (fingers crossed) they'll wake me up and tell me before proceeding.

And she did talk me into a low-level statin (Lipitor) at least until I get the procedure done. It's supposed to keep things more stable until they can see (and hopefully fix) whatever's going on in there. She assured me that if I get my arteries straightened out I'll probably be fine with the herbal supplements I scored and can toss the statins.

Derek S and ricksdisconnected like this.
  7. Sir Don

Sir Don Well-Known Member

I've been on them for 15 years, works for me. I really don't care about BP making money off people, it's called capitalism. If what they do works for me I'm in.

dro and Jethro Rocker like this.
  8. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

I'm all for capitalism too, but it needs to be done with a healthy dose of ethics..Which ain't been happening for a long time now.

Vinsanitizer and 500 Mike like this.
  9. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Natural way is lose weight and eat healthily, get your BMI under 25, that works for most people, some with bad genes will have already had their grandparents and parents/siblings die prematurely of strokes or heart attacks and diet may not be enough. For those people direct experience means that they are asking their doctors for statins or related meds.
    The other thing that is well worth doing (an no 'big bad pharma' will make no money from this) is 75mg of Aspirin every other day (after food).

DaDoc likes this.
  10. Vinsanitizer

Better stated than I would have. :yesway:
    In fact, lack of ethics has always been about the only problem with capitalism, in my opinion.

11. Vinsanitizer

I know a few people who had high cholesteroids and trigyceroids and they resolved it just by eating rolled oats (oatmeal) for breakfast each day. They also traded their sausage, bacon and ham for fresh fruit (apples, bananas, strawberries, red grapes, blueberries, oranges, etc.). They still ate eggs bet I think a couple of them used a non-stick pan spray instead of butter.

neikeel likes this.
  12. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

Doc, its not a problem. i had it done myself. it was kinda cool actually.
    hope they find you well my friend.

DaDoc likes this.
  13. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Senior Discount Member Gold Supporting Member

If you are really into this, I highly recommend watching this. It's one of America's best cardiologists getting to the bottom of heart disease and diet. It's 56 minutes long, and he's a doctor on stage talking to other doctors. But it's extraordinary. I'm not a big guy. But I had quite a gut a few years ago, and off the charts bad blood chemistry. I watched this, followed exactly what he said. I lost so much weight people said I looked ill. Way too skinny. I had to make some adjustments not to stay that way. My blood work was so good my doctor said "It's not possible for a man your age to have blood work this good without the help of medications." He was referring to statins and triglyceride reducing meds. He had prescribed them, but I never filled the prescription. I took nothing. I ate steak 3 or 4 night a weeks. I ate some fish, chicken and pork too. I cut way back on carbs. Not too much fruit. I ate lots of butter on my veggies. Many things the AMA and American Heart Association say are bad/wrong. But my health became "nearly perfect" when it comes to cardiovascular and blood chemistry. Because of what Dr. Miller has to say in this speech.

14. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Genetics plays a huge role on cholesterol. While one can greatly reduce it with exercise amd food, lifestyle changes, high cholesterol can be genetic and hard to control. Do the best you can!

DaDoc likes this.
  15. Vinsanitizer

That's awesome! :yesway:

16. dro

dro Well-Known Member

So recently I had a blood study done. Wearing a Freestyle monitor for two weeks to check what was going on with my blood sugar. Dr. told me the best part of my diet seemed to be at breakfast. He asked" What do you do for breakfast?"
    Bacon, eggs fried in bacon fat, coffee, whole milk. No bread. Hmmmm.

DaDoc and TXOldRedRocker like this.
  17. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

It's crazy isn't it, to be getting up there in years and think you're in great health, your doctor also telling you as much, etc, yet have some folks ask "you're too thin, is everything ok?" What happened to you I've experienced as well, where friends you haven't seen since high school bump into and I guess think you should be heavier or something. I think it's interesting to note how society just accepts this and we've conditioned ourselves to believe it's totally normal and ok to be overweight and out of shape when you're older, which I believe there is some science to that - it probably is a little normal to slow down and have your body hang onto the pounds as you age, but not to the extent many allow. It's funny, in high school I was 5'10" and 145# and now at 52, guess what, I'm 5'10" 145# but NOW people will say "oh wow, you're too thin". Really? How come the exact same height and weight wasn't considered "too thin" when I was younger but now it is? Why, just cause I'm old? Weird.

Anyway, like you, I did also feel I was a slightly too thin, it was possibly an unhealthy looking weight and over the last year I made it a goal to put on 10 pounds and I do feel like i look a bit healthier at 155# now and even a few friends say it looks better so I'm sticking with it. My doc says the BMI, BP and all is still good so I'm satisfied.

TXOldRedRocker and Tiboy like this.
  18. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Find out if she's allowed to take Magnesium

Most leg cramps are magnesium deficiency, a lot of meds wash it out of your system

HOWEVER... with some meds and health conditions, you're not supposed to take it. So find out first.

ricksdisconnected and Derek S like this.
  19. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

It's not that "they" don't study natural/herbal solutions, it's just that American law makes it pretty much impossible to patent botanical formulations

Same big pharma companies have patented, clinical trialed, registered prescription botanicals (think specific types of Ginkgo Biloba extracts etc) in other countries where the law is different.

There, big pharma pushes those. Not a rumor or hearsay, I worked with foreign pharmaceutical multinationals on several projects in that field in Eastern Europe.

PS doctors are shockingly dense AF. When we interviewed them, most couldn't tell a marketing pamphlet from official information supplied by government regulators, and seriously thought big pharma marketing pushes with the usual retreat and wine'n'dine were "scientific conferences"... I was horrified. Even our big pharma client was apparently very much "whoa, wtf?".

20. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

I will Ty, I know she is a umm one of those people that stores too much iron, starts with a h I think. Oh heamocronotosis? Or something, so she can't do iron type stuff