Split coil vs single coil

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by GregM, Apr 11, 2021.

1. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

I'm looking at a tele copy that has humbucker that can split
    I've seen ( paid for) reviews that say they can be good or bad depending on your guitar.
    I'm in dire need of a single coil guitar and this tele looks a rippa for the price, so
    Bite the bullet and settle or go for true single coils?

fitz288 likes this.
  2. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

I should mention I have an es copy from them with same pickup that can split, sound awesome clean, but I guess I suck at dealing with feedback cause dirty they sound horrible ( I Think) that's the semi hollow part and myself thou.
    I'm usually almost sitting on top of amps when I play them
    Review is here, I'm kinda really keen for it, I want a tele and Im not overly worried of weight as I'm an at home player

3. fitz288

fitz288 Space-Time Curver Silver Supporting Member

I have a tele clone that I built from a Muslady kit.
    The single coils that came with it are in a drawer and I put in a GFS tele set of rail HBs.
    Added a coil tap switch between the V & T pots.
    Sounds great and definitely has different tones on single vs. HB.
    20210207_110537-2.jpg

GregM likes this.
  4. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Do you have a humbucker-equipped guitar already?

If so, scrap the split-coil idea and get a proper Tele equipped with single coils..That way you have all the bases covered!

I don't know how the split-coils would sound in a Tele, but I had a set in a ES-335 and I kept it in single-coil mode most of the time since the humbucker setting sounded muddy and fed back too much..They would probably not feed back as badly in a solidbody, but a Tele is best suited for single coils anyhoo IMO.

Stock Teles have a lot of "twang", but if it's too much for one's taste, that's what a tone knob is for.

Ken Ops and GregM like this.
  5. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Yeah I have 4 humbucker geetaars, 1 of them.split coil
    My days are mostly made up of playing the filtertron and the es clone ( the split coil one)
    Love them both alot, but everyone raves about teles so I guess I need to try one
    I should add body comfort means alot to me, the guitars I don't play generally has less to do with the tone and more about how I gel with the body shape, so why I am always thinking go cheap, get better later if needed.

6. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

First of all, I prefer parallel wiring to split coils/coil tap on my Duncan JB-equipped guitars. But honestly, either way it doesn't sound like a "real" single coil. If you don't have a SC guitar, esp. a Tele, you're better off getting one. There's something totally unique to the tone of a Tele bridge single coil that nothing really approximates.

GregM and Ken Ops like this.
  7. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Yep, never had a split coil set up work good. It's just not the same thing, so it's best to just have a good single coil guitar to play when needed. My favorite is the P90 in a LP.

GregM and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  8. BatmansMarshall

BatmansMarshall Well-Known Member

I'd just get a Fender Squier for between 250 and 450. A telecaster doesn't have to be expensive unless you want something vintage and or custom made. I would even consider a Mexico MIM model. I have good experiences with them when they are set up properly and frets aren't sharp or uneven.

GregM likes this.
  9. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

My go-to guitar for 'single coil' tones is my HH equipped Charvel San Dimas ('59/JB).
    The switching options and coil split push-pull allow for a variety of combinations.
    While it can never really sound truly 'single coil', it's more than good enough for me for now.

A singles equipped Tele is is on my radar though.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    GregM likes this.
  10. Ken Ops

Ken Ops Active Member

Personally for single coil tones, I get by just fine with my classic SSS Strat. Super comfy guitar, great to play too. Also holds tune surprisingly well! Anyway...

I can see the appeal of Teles. In either case, I’m not a fan of going with humbuckers. Not because I’m a purist really, more that - to me - other guitars do that better anyway.

Long story short, I’d go with the SS option for sure.

GregM likes this.