>

Speaker wire loose- any cause for worry?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Kim Lucky Day, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Was at a gig last night with my 2204. I run output from amp into the input of a Bad Cat Unleash V2 and output from the Unleash to a 2x12. (the 2x12 is the combo box from my 2104, I bought a head shell for the amp portion and split these two up, still using the 2x12 as a speaker cabinet).

Fired the Unleash up first, then the amp on standby. Was on standby for roughly a few minutes, then turn standby off for sound check. Had zero sound. After about 30 seconds, turned amp off and discovered the solder joint on one of leads on the first speaker had broke loose.

Tough to remember exactly how long I had the amp on throughout this process but my best guess is 2-4 minutes. Seeing I have the amp running into the Unleash, do I have cause for concern? Or doesn't it matter that the Unleash was in the signal path? I was a bit freaked out because after hooking up a different speaker cabinet, I got such horrible static/distortion. Switched amps (SV20H) and got more of the same but after switching from a wireless transmitter pack to instrument cable direct, it was fine. Haven't tried the 2204 yet to see if the wireless was at fault.

Thoughts?
    KLD

fitz288 likes this.
  2. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

"Introducing the new Unleash V2, with new features such as switchable impedance on the reactive load input, silent recording options, and headphone outputs & speaker phase selector. Also, Bad cat added an error-proof circuit protection to guard against incorrect connection damage."

Kim Lucky Day and fitz288 like this.
  3. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

Your amp should be fine because of the Bad Cat.
    It's giving the amp a load regardless of if it has a speaker to go to, as long as it was set to the correct input impedance.
    The BC class D output doesn't care what speaker(s) it goes to, or even if there is a speaker.

Kim Lucky Day likes this.
  4. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Sorry, was trying to continue that post but the underline won't turn off. Grrrrrr

The amp sees the Bad Cat's reactive load, so the amp is fine.

The Bad Cat's solid state output wouldn't be bothered by an open connection.

If the loose wire flapped around and touched the other wire, the short would trigger the Bad Cat's protection circuit. If the static/distortion was related to the Bad Cat, it was most likely the protection circuit resetting.

If the Bad Cat worked fine after you plugged straight in to the other amp, the Bad Cat definitely hasn't been damaged.
    -----------------------
    Odds and probabilities are weird things. While it's unlikely for a wireless problem and a speaker connection problem to happen at the same time, coincidences do happen.

Kim Lucky Day, PelliX and fitz288 like this.
  5. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Thank you for your thoughts. It's kind of what I thought but to paraphrase "Oddball", I only play the amp, I don't know what makes it work. Although, I'm slowly learning... It's such an awesome amp, I would've been sick had something catastrophic happen to it.

fitz288 likes this.