Speaker guess for SOAD song/album?

Robzoid

Reaction score
I'm really curious what speakers you guys think are being used on this:

This SOAD album probably has my favorite tone ever. I know from an article that the amp is a JMP 100 and a 4x12 cab. There doesn't seem to be any info on speakers, though. Based on a lot of listening to various cabs, I'm thinking this sounds like G12T-75s. I'm thinking either that or vintage 30s. Vintage 30s seem a bit too nasally, though? Not sure. I'm curious what you guys think. I'm not super experienced with speaker tone.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure what was used on each track during that time. I know he was using the Marshall AHW cabinet around that Era. It was the one with the 100 logo in the corner with G12H30 speakers.

Robzoid

Reaction score
Thanks, man. I think you're right. It looks like that might be the cabinet behind him in his Ernie Ball vid as well:

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
@TheLoudness!! I made a comparison vid. Just curious, which one do you think is the closest?

I think the AHW sounds closest. But then again my ears could be broken from standing too close to the symbols lol. It's something in the midrange that makes me lean to the AHW vintage style cab.

The 1960A sounds more early SOAD to my ears. Of course in those years he was using the Mode Four amp and cabs as well.

Robzoid

Reaction score
Sweet - I'm hearing it the same way. The part between 0:25 - 0:26 is almost spot on the same tone. Thanks again for your help. I wasn't even considering the AHW when I posted but I think that's pretty much gotta be what was used. If not, it's so similar to the AHW that it's negligible.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Sweet - I'm hearing it the same way. The part between 0:25 - 0:26 is almost spot on the same tone. Thanks again for your help. I wasn't even considering the AHW when I posted but I think that's pretty much gotta be what was used. If not, it's so similar to the AHW that it's negligible.

No problem. I remember the insert from either the Hypnotize or Mezmorize cd insert because I'm old lol. There is a vintage Marshall cab pictured on it.
I got really into the tone once he started using the SG and old school Marshall gear.

I'm hearing more midrange in that Era of albums than previous ones. It's for sure something like an AHW cab or vintage based. It also reminds me somewhat of the old school black back Celestion's.

Honestly, I bet Greenbacks could nail that sound as well.