Speaker boo-boo

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by ampeq, Nov 28, 2020.

1. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I have a pretty new speaker that is barely broke in, a WGS Retro 30. Well, the folks next door have have a big playful dog that jumped up on a table to see what she could swipe, over went the table. My speaker was sitting on the floor and boom! Stuck the corner of the table right through the paper of the speaker. So I have a 3/4" straight line cut in the paper cone about 1/3rd of the way out from the dust cover. (Just made it through the paper.) What is going to be the outcome over time? Can I do anything to save it? (Like super gluing it together, or super gluing over the tear with paper on each side to keep it from ripping farther?) Any thoughts on something like this? Sending it back would not be worth the shipping both ways, I could just buy a new one.

2. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

You can repair it water down some wood glue and some paper towels squares and patch it back you only need to do one side . I did it and it worked

Lo-Tek likes this.
  3. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

I used landscaping cloth and plain old Elmer's glue. Seems to have worked fine.
    [​IMG]

EndGame00 likes this.
  4. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I would line it up exactly use a very thin coat of flexible glue like copydex and dab on some tissue paper into the glue. Flexible and thin is the secret.

5. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

Nope, you can’t save this dog. ;-)

Crazy glue a small paper strip to the back of the paper cone. A black piece of kids construction paper is perfect.

6. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member

Can you post a pic of the damage?

7. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Thanks guy's, I'll get a pic.

8. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Here are some pic's so you can see the rip. It seems like it still plays ok, but I would think over time it would spread.

Attached Files:

9. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member

Find some white / Elmer's glue and some copy paper. Cut the paper so it's 1/8" bigger than the cut on all sides. If possible, if the frame isn't in the way, apply a thin layer of glue to the cut and the paper on the back side of the cone. Press it together, hold it until it gets tacky.

2nd choice would be to do it from the front, but the back side would be better from a visual standpoint. Color the copy paper with a black Sharpie if you have to glue in the front so it doesn't stick out.

RCM 800 likes this.
  10. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Thanks man. I was going to use a waterproof wood glue, you know, wood - paper. I can get to it on the back, plus the ribs are less pronounced. (In this case the cut is under the ribs.) I’ll bring home some paper from the shop and patch it up, then keep an eye on it.

Thanks everyone, we’ll give it a shot and see how she holds up.