Speaker advice for 1960bx - replacing G12M 20 watt

pdxfairview

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for all the suggestions!

Wiring: appears to be correct. The previous owner that swapped out the speakers also "upgraded" the wiring, which you'll see here in the photo. Per the wiring example, posted above, it appears to be correct.

Phase: I tried the battery test per above suggestion but I just couldn't see cone movement enough to say if they're moving in phase or not. If the wiring is indeed correct, is there still a chance of speakers being out of phase? And is there a different way to check phase? I do have a multi-meter somewhere around here.

Speakers: certainly possible they're not "broken in". They look basically brand-new to me.

Appreciate the suggestion to check out the G12-65 as an alternative to the G12T-75...I check that out!

1 (7).png 1 (8).png

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I don't know where you're located but if you're in the US or Canada, and you decide to part ways with those 20 watters, please do keep me in mind. I'd buy them for the right price.

pdxfairview

Reaction score
Just wanted to pop back and say thanks again to everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. I've actually warmed up to these speakers a bit. As most of you probably know, the interaction between the pre and post volume controls makes a big difference and I maybe didn't appreciate that straight out of the gate. I'm finding the master at about 6 (one or two o'clock), the pre fairly low, into the high-gain input, is working pretty well. If I push the master above that I get a ton more background buzz/hum. That all said I'm still interested to try different speakers. Almost picked up a cab with '70s blackbacks, but someone else beat me to it. Cheers!

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Hi guy, all youre describing about
your speakercab/speakers or your
amp doesnt appear right to me.

The setup you have right there is
oldschoolrock perfection when working
right.

Wiring seams to be Par/Ser. as
scumback spkrs. describes.

Try to wire it up the old way
Ser/Par.