Spare tubes just in case?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Chris Reed, Jun 14, 2020.

1. spacerocker

spacerocker Well-Known Member

I guess this is ideal - if you can manage to take 2 amps to every gig! I couldn't do that - I have a car packed to the rafters as it is!

I take spare valves - but I agree - it would be a faff to try to change them mid set! I would try, though because a lot of my songs rely on the JVM flexibilty, and I use my rack effects....

My absolute last resort is this:

upload_2020-6-21_14-54-32.png

If it meant the difference between playing the gig and going home, I would use this ultra-cheapo Behringer thing.....I've only ever used it once - and that was though a totally clean Fender transistor amp at a charity gig! How did it sound? Surprisingly good, actually! I don't think the audience would have noticed that the sound wasn't coming from a Marshall!......

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  2. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Did you receive the new tubes yet Chris? I’m curious to hear how you like your new Dsl20cr.

3. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Well-Known Member

Yea what he said.....just as long as the spare power tubes aren't redplating when fired up.....if so the amp must be biased or you will damage the amp.

spacerocker and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  4. MemphisMarshallMan

MemphisMarshallMan Active Member

I wouldn't have time between sets to swap out tubes at a gig. For emergencies I carry a cab simulater box that I can plug into like its an amp and that signal runs directly to the mixing board. It fits on my pedal board like an effect pedal, and I have the signal run back through the monitors so I can hear it.
    I doesnt sound as good as an actual amp but it does sound surprisingly good and will get me through the gig.

5. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Well-Known Member

I've been stuck playing an od box into a di into the pa system be for.....

Ugh.......that becomes a rough nite quick.....i usually keep a spare amp in the truck unless I'm doing a fill in gig.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I mentioned the Taurus pedal amp earlier but I often take the little Peavey 6505 mini head. Small, 20 watts, 3 channel.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  7. Chris Reed

Chris Reed New Member

New valves in, the base holder springy things are very stiff and was worried about amount of pressure needed to insert new EL34s but eventually went in. Still working on finding the best tone for me and where to put the various pedals ie before pre-amp or in the FX loop. Volume on half power is LOUD not tries full yet. Clean channel has a lovely tone and dirty gives some nice crunch. Not convinced the reverb control makes much difference though. Time will tell but for now enjoying the sounds.

Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.