Sourmash 1936 for my Vintage Modern!

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by vtrain, Sep 18, 2020.

1. vtrain

vtrain Well-Known Member

Bob at Sourmash patiently answered all my questions over about 20 emails before I placed my order. He even checked to see if the remnant of Marshall VM tolex he had was large enough for a 1936. Sadly, it was not, so I ordered the purple/black bronco from AES and had it delivered to him.

It looks even better in person than in the photos. From 10 feet away, under 3000K LED lighting, it's a dead match for my 2266 head. I'm not dragging it outside anytime soon to take a look under sunlight.

I asked Bob to cut the speaker holes offset from one another (one nearer the top edge, the other nearer the bottom edge). I'm not sure why, I saw a photo of a 1936 baffle cut like that somewhere, and thought might help disperse the sound. Construction looks impeccable from the outside, at least. Haven't opened it up yet.

I'm loading it with a G12M-65 Creamback and a Scumback H55 PVC. That project will have to be sometime this weekend. They're both 65-watt, 8 ohm speakers, so I plan to wire them in series for 16 ohms. At 130 watts total capacity, they'll (most likely) handle any amp I can throw at it. The only downside is my Lead 100 MOSFET only puts out 25 watts or so at 16 ohms, but as I'm a home player only, I don't think this will be a problem!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. J Saw

J Saw Well-Known Member

Those guys do great work! Congrats :D

3. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

Looks great! I had them build the head shell for my JTM 45. They do awesome work.

steveb63 and MarshallDog like this.
  4. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Beautiful cab! Nice choice, congrats.

I am a big fan of diagonal 212 cabs. I posted a pic here recently. Maybe you saw mine.

upload_2020-9-18_14-24-20.png

5. FogDweller

FogDweller Active Member

Congrats on the new cab! Bob does really solid work, and I wouldn’t think about going anywhere else if I needed a new custom cab.

Here’s the one he made for me about 5 years ago. Has two Creambacks.

Attached Files:

6. vtrain

vtrain Well-Known Member

I got the speakers mounted, but need to dig out my soldering iron from the bottom of the shipping closet. So for the time being, I have the back off (that was a pain in the ass) and have only the Scumback hooked up to a plug. It's my first time playing through the cabinet and the Scumback, but wow, even as an open back 1x12, it sounds great! Can't wait to get the speakers hooked up and the back on!

Scumback Speakers likes this.
  7. vtrain

vtrain Well-Known Member

As I'm a newbie to closed back cabinets, it took me a couple of days to realize that I don't need to solder any part of the wiring harness. Thankfully I realized that before I dug out the iron.

As a consequence, I wired up both speakers and closed the cabinet today. HOLY SHIT!!! WHY DID IT TAKE ME 35 YEARS OF PLAYING ELECTRIC GUITAR TO PLUG INTO A CLOSED BACK CABINET???

The Sourmash sounds huge, and yet smooth and well-defined. Open back cabinets 1x10 or 1x12 always tend to get a little (or a lot) harsh to my ears at a certain volume level. I had the Sourmash cranked well beyond that level today and there was no harsh, just pure rock tone.

I realize I'm in the honeymoon period, but this feels like a "forever" purchase for me. I can't see myself needing or wanting another cab. Probably going to get rid of my Origin 20 combo, too.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  8. Kutt

Like it! For rock, heavy blues, and metal you cannot beat a closed back. The non-localized ambient low frequencies of an open back just doesn't cut it methinks.

Congrats and soak it up!

steveb63 likes this.
  9. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Now try a well sealed frontloader

vtrain likes this.
  10. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Congrats looks great! I to have had Sourmash build me a custom cab and it turned out wonderful! Bob does great work!

steveb63 likes this.
  11. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

The way you tell Bob's cabinets apart from original factory cabinets is that Bob's cabinets are just a little TOO perfect. I'm about ready to order up another Plexi headshell for my '69 restoration superlead project.

lespaul339 and steveb63 like this.
  12. vtrain

vtrain Well-Known Member

I think the only other speaker I'm really interested in checking out right now is a Fullback. Maybe in a front loading cabinet?

13. vtrain

vtrain Well-Known Member

The photo I saw was unloaded, but yours looks awesome. I got a regular top strap handle rather than the recessed side handles, and I regretted it when I went to remove the back. Major pain in the ass! If I had the recessed handles, I could have removed one and reached inside for some leverage. I almost thought about installing a handle on the back before I put the cabinet back together, but I don't have one on hand and didn't want to wait for one to arrive.

14. giblesp

giblesp Active Member

Whats the dimensions of your cab man? Can we see her with a head? (but not giving head, as that would be against forum rules)

15. Kutt

Here you go. I measured 12" deep, 24" height, 30" wide, 37.5" diagonal (corner to corner). It fits a full sized Marshall head nicely.

Unfortunately Avatar stopped making these diagonal cabs a few years ago. They also unfortunately simplified their offerings by eliminating colored tolex options. Most everything is plain black now.

upload_2020-9-22_6-27-42.png

giblesp likes this.
  16. giblesp

giblesp Active Member

Thanks for that. So its pretty much the same dimensions as a 1936. Looks sweet. How are you finding the diagonal configuration soundwise?

17. Kutt

No problem. I prefer a diagonal configuration over a standard one. There is some truth to the "beam effect" other guys mention and I just find with the sound dispersing off axis with the diagonal pattern that it sounds fuller. It may just be auditory deception, but the net result is that my ears prefer it and that's all that matters.

It does confuse the sound guy sometimes though. hahaha. I always need to point out how the speakers are oriented when he's mic'ing it up. They tend to put the mic right smack in front of the baffle otherwise.