Sound from whammy bar

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Blaoskaak, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Blaoskaak

Blaoskaak Member

Hello everybody,

I have two questions:

1: while playing I hear my whammy bar wobbling through the speakers. Can I solve this?

If I turn down the volume on my guitar it disappears. Only then of course I don't get that thick tone.

2: my cabinet has 2 celestion vintage 30 speakers. Now I find the sound "sharp". I've heard that this is the characteristic of these speakers.
    I also heard that the creambacks m65, h75 this is not and stacken well with the v30.

The m65 turns out to be better for home use because the h75 is much louder, is this also true?

Thank you in advance!

Edit: i play with marshall sv20h and Harley benton g212 cabinet. I have a bsm rpa major treble booster

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  2. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

I have two questions for you:

1. What kind of guitar?
    2. What bridge/trem system?

Sometimes some of the inferior bridges have bars that can fit somewhat less than snug which can cause it to sound sorta shaky or wobbly, but this doesn't really explain why it stops when you reduce volume...perhaps it's something other than the bar? Maybe you could put a couple wraps of electrical tape around the bar where it inserts into the bridge, just to make it good and snug, and then see if the issue persists or if it stops. Might help you to narrow it down, or to confirm your suspicion.

3. Blaoskaak

Blaoskaak Member

I have a squier stratocaster 2020 model. Stock trem system.

When I move the whammy bar more, the sound becomes much louder. Also when I open the volume knob completely, the strings become extremely sensitive.

When I blow on the string it already makes a sound. I thought that was normal.

I rewired the strat myself, put the middle rwrp on the bridge spot and a dummy middle pickup in it. Couldn't it be that the rwrp is wired the wrong way around?

4. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

Hmm. Interesting. I was thinking maybe it was a Floyd Rose or similar style double locking trem. Apparently that's not the case here.

My squier strat once had an issue with the springs on the backside of the trem resonating with certain notes and/or volume levels. They would begin to vibrate seemingly spontaneously, (sympathetic resonance) and this would be picked up by the pups. I was able to remedy this issue by placing some light foam or even some tissue under the springs so as to keep them from vibrating. Is it possible that something like that is happening with your guitar? You could try to stuff the open places under and around the springs with kleenex or toilet paper or similar, and see if it still occurs. I suppose it is possible that something could be wired funky. Just trying to eliminate other stuff it could be in order to narrow it down

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    TXOldRedRocker likes this.
  5. RobS

RobS Active Member

have you confirmed the ground wire to the bridge is all ok?

Blaoskaak likes this.
  6. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Yes.

Blaoskaak likes this.
  7. Blaoskaak

Blaoskaak Member

No, i haven't. Will check it out.

Ok thanks. The ground cable from the rwrp pickup should be on the volume pot right?

8. junk notes

correct.

Blaoskaak likes this.
  9. Blaoskaak

Blaoskaak Member

I think it is wired the right way.

[​IMG]

The ground cables are good too.

The whammy bar is tight on the strings. Isn't it logical that when I open the volume on the guitar all the way, the strings pick up the sound?

If I turn the sound on my vintage v100(gibson) all the way open and tap the guitar, it picks up the sound as well.

This is the diagram i've used

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  10. junk notes

11. Blaoskaak

Blaoskaak Member

When I look at the drawing, the connections to the pot meters should be connected the other way around. The tone pots are linear, and placed the other way around. So my geuss is that its correct like it is? The volume pot is a left ons.

Everything just works as it should. Except for the sensitive strings.

The pickups are from ali express. Are around 10k output. Couldn't it be because of this?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020