Something Wicked This Way Comes... Railhammer Pickups

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Moose Lewis, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Moose Lewis

Moose Lewis Well-Known Member

Anybody had a chance to check these out? I'm really tempted.
    Railhammer Pickups
    [​IMG]

The concept is intriguing. :) And they're on sale right now. $79.

2. captcoolaid

captcoolaid New Member

Wow those look cool. Get them and let us know.

3. jonzguitar

jonzguitar New Member

Yeah definetely cool looking ... curious to hear how they sound.

4. captcoolaid

captcoolaid New Member

Should be interesting to see how much of a signal diff the over sized slugs will project. The only negative thing I could see on these is there is no way to fine tune your stuff. IE... pole adjustment. But again maybe the rails in the wound strings solve this.

5. jonzguitar

jonzguitar New Member

Interesting point there...

6. Moose Lewis

Waitin' on a client to pay up. Then there's a good chance I'll get one. No way in hell are the Hot & Soggy's comin' out of my main player - but I'm still experimenting with the V. I went for retro tone (Fralin) after putting the Homewrecker in the '83 Kramer where it belonged (also permanent - fixed any ills that axe had); but it just ain't the V. Thinking of giving the Chisel a shot soon as I can spare the change. If that don't do it... I'll be back buggin' you for something hot with enough treble to cut an all mahogany axe.

Yeah - I looked at the poles. Wondered if they might be adjustable from below. But we'll see. I guess they're too new for soundbites. I've been lookin'. The new Reverend Sensei RA is coming equipped with 'em. Can't find any soundbites on that either.

7. captcoolaid

captcoolaid New Member

Moose I have a buddy who is winding now he may be able to hook you up with the proper dealio for the V. He is mixing poly and pe and with his lower DC stuff he is getting some great results. Now for the hotter stuff I just did a set fo a guy who is having a V built for him over on another board and I did the A8 thing, and I have a new pup coming out beginning of Feb that is modeled after the Super 70.

diesect20022000 likes this.
  8. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 In Memorandum VIP Member

i was looking at those as well but, i'd flip them over. i'd rather have the LESS percussive rails on the plain strings where you bend so it doesn't get volume drop. rails are LESS percussive (though they advertise it the other way around) and the poles on the low strings where they've got a more percussive tone. that'd be great for what i do in theory.

9. captcoolaid

captcoolaid New Member

Paul I thought the same thing, but with the 6mm slugs there would virtually be no signal loss, nothing audible anyway. I reread through the whole thing on the faq page and tech sheet, and what I can gather is the wound strings have the rail to attempt to keep some highs and be articulate while the slugs would be better suited for keeping the round tone and not so shrill for your higher strings. Good Marketing idea but well I guess the proof is in the pudding.

10. Moose Lewis

Hmm... next time around should be the deal. When I got that Homewrecker, I was looking to coax heavier SG tones from the V (about the same amount of dark sounding mahogany), and while it did sound great in the V - I had to completely reset the amps for it.

I went with the Fralin and could keep my same settings - and got a fair SG tone... but didn't like it at all in the end. Since the V is a one-trick pony, and it's set for harder rock I'm gonna take it back that way.

I'm incorporating heavier tunes than the original plan for the new band; and the Sarasota with the Hot & Soggy gets all the vintage tones and quite a bit more that I can use. If I don't go with or like this hybrid thing, I know you're the guy to get me there. I want to put something hot back in it, just with more upper mid/treble to cut that dark V.

I like the detail I get from your pickups (all that I've tried); so that's the way to go... I just ran across these and started considering what they might do from the hype; and I've been down that road before.
    :cheers:

11. MartyStrat54

MartyStrat54 Well-Known Member

I don't know guys? I think they are cool, but are they practical?

I guess we will know in a year or so.

So much fantastic music has been recorded on guitars using either pole or rail pickups.

I look forward to hearing these in use by the pros.

12. Moose Lewis

Yeah... I'm gonna keep watch, but passing on this for now. Going MHD to kick my V. Tried & true. ;)