Solved: 1967 Fender Deluxe Reverb, Rectifier Valve Arcing

Spanngitter

Reaction score
Please confirm secondary HT Wiring resistance Rsec/Rt is within GZ34 specification, if not add some 47 or 100 Ohm Resistor in serie to each HT.
Usually nearly all modern transformers are too low in Rsec/Rt and this will cause your GZ34 suffer (again) a premature death....

5AR4 Rsec Chart.png

Richard Neill

Reaction score
Please confirm secondary HT Wiring resistance Rsec/Rt is within GZ34 specification, if not add some 47 or 100 Ohm Resistor in serie to each HT.
Usually nearly all modern transformers are too low in Rsec/Rt and this will cause your GZ34 suffer (again) a premature death....

You're killing me, can you not just say great, it works and give my small brain a rest?! 🤣
Can you spell out which wires I should be measuring the resistance between and what value should be expected? Also, will I have to desolder all the wires again to check or can in be done in situ?

Here's the pic of the transformer value wires.

20221127_221844_resized.jpg

Thanks for pointing this out.

Last edited:

Spanngitter

Reaction score
You're killing me, can you not just say great, it works and give my small brain a rest?! 🤣
Can you spell out which wires I should be measuring the resistance between and what value should be expected? Also, will I have to desolder all the wires again to check or can in be done in situ?

Nope 👹

Disconnect Amp from Power Outlet, remove the GZ34 and measure between both red cables and then repeat the same from each red to red/yellow (CT, might be soldered to chassis). As @Pete Farrington already mentioned, let's hope that you measure something >120 Ohms in general....

Richard Neill

Reaction score
Nope 👹

Disconnect Amp from Power Outlet, remove the GZ34 and measure between both red cables and then repeat the same from each red to red/yellow (CT, might be soldered to chassis). As @Pete Farrington already mentioned, let's hope that you measure something >120 Ohms in general....
Right the results are in!

Red to red - 115.3 ohms
Red 1 to red/yellow - 58.9ohms
Red 2 to red/yellow - 56.8ohms

Desoldered
Red 1 to red/yellow - 59.5 ohms
Red 2 to red/yellow - 57.5 ohms

Good/bad or ugly?

Spanngitter

Reaction score
It barely missed the LCL….with the usual 420Vdc in a Deluxe Reverb you should have >120 Ohms, better 140 as per the chart I posted above. So I would recommend to add a 22R or 33R / 3W to each side when approaching the GZ34 Socket

Richard Neill

Reaction score
It barely missed the LCL….with the usual 420Vdc in a Deluxe Reverb you should have >120 Ohms, better 140 as per the chart I posted above. So I would recommend to add a 22R or 33R / 3W to each side when approaching the GZ34 Socket
Plate voltage is currently 432v. Will that change anything in regards to what resistors to add and am I simply soldering the resistor from one end of the ht wire to the pin or soldering them between pins on the socket and if so which pins?

Apologies for all the questions and thanks for your patience. I'm comfortable changing parts not so comfortable modding or adding stuff!

Last edited:

chocol8

Reaction score
While you are in there soldering, I would add a couple rectifier backup diodes. They won't impact the tone at all but can extend the life of the rectifier tube and protect expensive parts if the rectifier tube fails.

Richard Neill

Reaction score
While you are in there soldering, I would add a couple rectifier backup diodes. They won't impact the tone at all but can extend the life of the rectifier tube and protect expensive parts if the rectifier tube
Would I solder the diodes after the resistors or before or does it make no difference? Also, ok to use IN4007s as I have a couple of them lying about.

Pete Farrington

Reaction score
1N4007 are fine, but ideally use them in series pairs.
Such series diodes are really beneficial, as they seem to stop arcs forming and then wrecking the valve and caps.

Richard Neill

Reaction score
Such series diodes are really beneficial, as they seem to stop arcs forming and then wrecking the valve and caps.
I remember you mentioning this earlier in the thread and I looked at the diagram. It seems to suggest just putting a diode on each ht lead, is that right? Would I put that before or after the resistor I'm adding or does it make no difference?

chocol8

Reaction score
I would put the resistor first and then a diode with the stripe towards the tube. Pete is saying to use two diodes in series on each lead.

chocol8

Reaction score
Perfect, thanks folks.
Sorry I had to cut my last answer short due to a call. Pete is saying to use 2 because the peak voltage with a startup spike could exceed the 1000v PIV rating of one. Fender uses a 1500 volt rated diode on newer builds, but if you already have 4 of the 1N4007's, just use a pair in series for the extra protection.

Richard Neill

Reaction score
Sorry I had to cut my last answer short due to a call. Pete is saying to use 2 because the peak voltage with a startup spike could exceed the 1000v PIV rating of one. Fender uses a 1500 volt rated diode on newer builds, but if you already have 4 of the 1N4007's, just use a pair in series for the extra protection.
I'm waiting on the resistors to arrive then I'll do the lot. I'll pop up some pics when I'm done to make sure it's right. Cheers.

Richard Neill

Reaction score

Planning on fixing this today, the resistors have taken quite some time to arrive and I seem to have misplaced my 1n4007 diodes. Can I use 1n5408 in series instead?