Solid State Amps Still Used For Gigging?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by chromeboy, Oct 6, 2019.

1. chromeboy

chromeboy Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone uses a solid state amp for gigs? My friend had a sunn sid state that came out about ten years ago and played through a 4x12 cab and it sou dex pretty good. Don't know if I would ever use one for a gig nit to mention I don't own any solid state amps.

2. StingRay85

StingRay85 Active Member

Check from 12:00 what it sounds like crancked.

Attached Files:

3. Wenander

Wenander Well-Known Member

yes they do. the tube-talibans are ridicolous. I tried cranking my old old solidstate practiceamp Ibanez tb15r on the cleanchannel..sounded fucking nice, and when i took of the backplat, took the speakerconnectors and hooked to jack and played it through my 2x12 71´s celestion G12H it was amazing =). do a search online to see how many great bands who use sunn beat lead =) and roland jazzchorus

4. marshalltsl

marshalltsl Well-Known Member

Yes! The guitar/singer of my band. He use a Marshall VS100 with a 1936V cab for gigs. He have had tube amps but he likes this solid state amp head.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

Tube Taliban. Thats funny!! :)

Mitchell Pearrow and AlvisX like this.
  6. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Use mine whenever the situation dictates .....
    Especially the Lead 12

nickfox and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. royslead

royslead Well-Known Member

I use a rack mounted modeler into a powered cab; so yes - I'm using solid state. For nostalgia sake, I do warm up the transistors before playing.

8. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

I've used my '80s Cube 60 chorus many times and never regretted it. I don't play out much anymore though.

9. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

At this point I’m not sure what ‘solid state’ even means? Is a Fractal or a Kemper ‘solid state’? If so then hell yeah, plenty out there gigging with it.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  10. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

I got a laugh out of this one...

Mitchell Pearrow and royslead like this.
  11. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

One amp I seek to add to my collection is a Gallien-Krueger 2100SEL. Dave Mustaine used one for a while in the 80s and of course, it nails his tone of that period. They're not very common amps. I had to pass one up the last time I saw one on ebay because I'd spent my fun money budget for the month, darn it.

12. Kookaburra

Kookaburra Member

There's a great Milwaukee, WI band called Bad Boy, been around since the 1970s. Marshalls, old school half stacks all the way. At one point in the 80s one of the guitar players had added one of those GKs. Sounded good!

13. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

I use solid state when it fits the style/genre.

I had an old Fender Pro 185 that put out a great clean tone and excellent spring reverb; it also had a fantastic effects loop and eq section. I used this amp for jazz, blues, ballads, '50's & early '60's classic rock, R&B/Soul, etc. The tone stayed consistent and the amp was reliable time and again.

I also like to split my signal to a little solid state 15 watt Line6 spider combo (I usually split with an ABY but chorus pedal works well, too). Splitting the sound with a little combo helps spread out the sound in a room and is easier than carrying another 2X12 or 4X12. I don't need it in all situations, but it helps a lot.

Trust your ears and use whatever you need to get the sound you want.

14. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

An old school SS amp can recreate anything it is fed but cannot produce anything worth listening to. In other words if you use it as a slave it's fine but to shape the tone of a guitar it's junk.

Bull Rock and tce63 like this.
  15. tallcoolone

M
    Again, what is a ‘solid state’ amp? Seems as though people are calling anything without tubes ‘solid state’ and I’m not sure that is even remotely correct.

16. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Let's define a solid state amp as one that has no tubes in it and no computer that gives you menu options whether via keypad, LCD display, or rotary encoder.

Modellers and profilers are not solid state amps. They're computers that make guitar amp sounds.

myersbw and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  17. tallcoolone

In that case, aside from Roland Jazz amps and I guess maybe the occasional Quilter...the answer to the OP is pretty much, “no”.

18. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

With the change of technology, I can see what you're saying, but at the same time is definition/distinction even worth the effort? In the "everyday" sense of what is important, is the definition of "solid state" that important? I mean, if people don't want to walk around looking/souding stupid over misuse of terms, then sure, but does anyone really care that much?

You could give yourself a headache worrying about terms and how it relates to the use of things. For example, is a distortion pedal like the classic Boss SD-1 a "solid state" device? You could probably waste a few hours researching, analyzing, posting web links, and debating, but then again will it really matter when you're using the damn thing to get achieve whatever you are trying to achieve?

No, I'm not calling you out/putting you on the spot. I've seen other people wrestle with trying to define/label/categorize items when at the end of the day most people don't care a whole lot about it.

KraftyBob likes this.
  19. tallcoolone

Well, I was being a bit facetious. The "solid state" comes from the fact that transistors are used to voice the amp. Like the SD-1 you mention. Definitely solid state. DSP is a different animal altogether and shouldn't be included in any discussion about "solid state amps".

20. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

If you can get a ss amp that is overbuilt for the heat the transistors make it might last.real tone junky’s puke on ss amps