Soldano Slo-100 Or Kemper/fractal?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by JacksonCharvelAddict, May 10, 2017.

1. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I love buying old rack gear that is now dirt cheap. I have almost bought a Prophesy a few times but always talk myself out of it.

2. keennay

keennay Well-Known Member

Get a Kemper.

If you don't like it, I'll buy it from you. It's definitely my next amp purchase... or maybe I'll buy a Bogner Uberschall Rev 2 before that. :D

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  3. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

Well this just isn't a universal truth at all.

Lots of it is explained here:

http://productionadvice.co.uk/no-stair-steps-in-digital-audio/

4. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

Listen to yourself talking about having respect for a different perspective, after the things you've posted about something you don't seem to understand at all! For the record, in addition to my Kemper I also have eight tube amps and a bunch of rack gear-including tube preamps and power amps.

rick16v likes this.
  5. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Who are you talking to exactly? Who in this thread "loathes tube amplification"? Talk about a strawman...

There's only one person here being critical of either technology and I'll let you take a wild guess who that is.

rick16v and Frodebro like this.
  6. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-KEMPER should make it look like a an old 68 MARSHALL SL,.. put one 12ax7 for decoration,.. poof!! problem solved!!

7. Frodebro

He was responding to me, because I posted an opinion that differs from his. I figured that my own hands-on experience might be useful to somebody who is seeking an honest assessment of the Kemper, and not some generalizations about the technology behind the machine in question.

8. flyinguitars

flyinguitars Well-Known Member

I know for a fact that George Lynch and Warren demartini from Ratt are still using the Soldano heads. No doubt about it they sound great.

And as for me, I am a fan of anything that sounds good. I absolutely love tube amps. have more than a few great tube heads (10), 10 4x12 cabs, 6 combos, and probably 50 stompboxes..lol. I grew up with 2 stacks of Marshall jcm 800s... I have no problem with tube amps LOL.
    Here's a pic of five of them
    [​IMG]

All that said I'm really digging my Kemper.

9. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

Ok. Devil's advocate here. Aren't the circuit boards, transistors and electronic gobbly goop inside the amps made from the same stuff that computers, cars, etc are built from?

Ghostman likes this.
  10. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

He's referring to encoding a continuous analog signal into binary, i.e. analog to digital conversion.

11. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

Ok. Wasn't trying to be funny or stir up a mess. To me, it's all beyond my limited electronic knowledge and he is waaaaaay more in the know about hardware than I am. It all looks the same inside to me :)

12. liontato

liontato Well-Known Member

Digitized sound has a different tonality than analog sound. Some notice it. Some don't. It is a very polarizing subject. The hackles start to raise when one person says one is better or the other lacks something. It's human nature. To each his own. Charvelfan asked for an opinion. We have all given one.

JacksonCharvelAddict and CraigP like this.
  13. Frodebro

I get what you're saying, and this is absolutely true of most of the older stuff (and some of the new stuff as well). I still have some older units kicking around that, to me, were "decent enough, but obviously not all the way there yet." The Kemper, however, is in a completely different league. I was skeptical when I first bought mine, but I had 45 days (GC return policy) to mess with it and see what it was all about. I figured that if it didn't live up to everything I'd heard about it that I would simply return it and stick with my tube amps for a while and see what technology advanced to down the road.

Within a week and a half I knew that it was sticking around.

14. flyinguitars

flyinguitars Well-Known Member

I was skeptical when I got mine.
    For the first hour or so I was less than impressed because I was juming all over the place and was using a powered speaker....and not reading the instructions..lol.
    Then I bailed and plugged it into a marshal 4x12 and found a Friedman profile and BOOM!...I couldn't believe it. It had more frequency range than I've heard in a long time. Searing highs and tight low end...it sounded like my modded jcm 800 with a 31 band eq tweaked perfectly, but it was so quiet that it was hard to hear if it was ON when not playing...lol. I called my son down and he couldn't believe it....lol.

I took it out on its first gig about a week later at a 500 seat theater venue and it was phenomenal. I've played over 3000 live gigs in my music career and it was my best tone ever...lol. i overplayed like a moron but i couldnt help myself...lol.
    Our sound man was skeptical and was impressed with it. He has toured and mixed more than a handful of the some of the biggest and best legendary rock bands from the 70s and 80s.....he was my litmus test for using it live. At our last show, I overheard him explaining it to one of his buddies who came out for sound check.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  15. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-flying-

-so you were mic'd up when using it live?, im so old when I was playing, the term "house pa/sound man" didn't exist.. We had to have our own PA, so right next to one of your Marshall's the KEMPER has the same "feel" as the real deal?

flyinguitars likes this.
  16. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

It may well be! ;)

17. JacksonCharvelAddict

Record producers seem to prefer the Kemper to the AxeFX. Live bands seem to be more on the fractal side. One thing is for sure is that both sound good enough that these touring acts are willing to use them to save a ton of money on shipping during their tours.

18. mantrasky

mantrasky Well-Known Member

In the studio producers work with anything "that works" for commercials, time is money. Anything that sets up quick, weather Fractal or Kemper, or ?
    Neal Schon prefers Fractal, but he or Vai, Lifeson, Petrucci many others like them for effects only or simultaneously with their tube amps when on the road! Steve Stevens has a couple Kempers but doesn't take them on the road. Many also use the "Torpedo" awesome tones from this method on the road, great sounding along side their tube rigs.

19. JacksonCharvelAddict

I would thing a tube amp and a torpedo would be great to use for either FOH or in ears even if you used traditional amp with it.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  20. mantrasky

mantrasky Well-Known Member

I'll tell you it's practically "godly" in different venues you never know what sound your going to get? Weather the engineer uses a Spectrum Analyzer to sweep a room before setting EQ's or in a small club the Torpedo & Amp configuration sounds awesome! Or at least easier than just an Amp. If you have great people working with you then. Nice option.

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.