Soldano ground loop

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by South Park, Oct 25, 2020.

1. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

I had some wire noice And crackle in my soldano clone . So I checked my out put jack and found a ground loop in the jack . The ground went through the cable end to the ground wire . That little bit of resistance in the ground bath made the noice. So I jumped across the jack and have a direct ground .

Attached Files:

2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

was it a disengaged ground on the speaker out?

Sounds like what happens w/ the JCM2000 series w/ those Cliff™ jacks, causing the infamous ground issue.

he discusses it at 28:30:

Kelia and tce63 like this.
  3. South Park

You really have to watch how you hook up the grounds on tube amps. The soldano circuit is really bad if you don’t get things right. The good cliff jacks have the U.K. on them

tce63 likes this.
  4. thetragichero

thetragichero Well-Known Member

i only use the switchcraft open frame jacks because they're dead simple and i can see what goes to where. there's enough complicated stuff for me not to have to worry about jacks

Dogs of Doom, South Park and tce63 like this.
  5. South Park

Good idea I need to clean out the parts box . I got a bunch amp parts jacks and tube sockets not the best . You just don’t get a good contact with some of this from China . Spend the extra money and get the good stuff

6. Travis398

Travis398 Well-Known Member

Those jacks can be confusing if you don't have much experience. There is a contact switch in the jack and you only have continuity through the switch when no cable is plugged in.

so when you plug the cable in what ever is on the left side got disconnected from the circuit.

It would have been fine if you put both wires on the right side, or connected them like you did from the start.

Also that is not the ground side where you added the wire that is the tip.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020