Sold the JVM, bought an EVH el34

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Force235, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

Just an example to go along with those thoughts: There's another Marshall centric website that used to be called "THE MARSHALL ROADOUSE" that a few years back changed its name to "THE MUSICIANS ROADHOUSE", due to increasingly low traffic that was assumed to be from being exclusively about Marshalls. Changing the name did not seem to increase any traffic and/or participation, even though there are some fairly knowledgeable and friendly folks there. I think one thing that destroyed many Marshall amp discussions was when Marshall started going after postings of their schematics as well as Marshall themselves becoming so secretive and tight lipped about their own documentations!

Just My :2c:,
    Gene

ibmorjamn and Ufoscorpion like this.
  2. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

It’s pretty crazy when you think about it , there are amp builders out there that can build a ‘better’ Marshall than Marshall . They are more passionate about Marshall’s than Marshall , and more knowledgeable about vintage Marshall’s . Marshall Probably don’t actually know what the correct value of resistors should be in their vintage handwired 60’s amps , unlike someone like Dave Friedman , George Metroupolus , John Suhr and Rienhold Bogner to name a few .

Leonard Neemoil likes this.
  3. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

There is however hope , I’ve heard that Marshall have got Santiago Alverez back on board . It’s probably true , Santiago doesn’t participate in the forum anymore, probably not allowed .

scozz and Force235 like this.
  4. Force235

Force235 Well-Known Member

Note: I'm a total Marshall fan boy, its pretty much the only amp I've ever bought, even though I started with the horrid MOSFET 100, which I sold the chassis and kept the cab to make my Frankenhead (JTM-30 90s 6l6), I'd still take the 6100 over any amp out there, any!
    That all said, EVH is crushing it, imo the build quality is better than Marshall's newer amps. I agree the JVM has a few features over the EVH, not $1000 worth of features, you can buy a serious guitar and the EVh for the price of just the JVM. The footswitch option s are cool with the JVM, but not a game changer. The channel options on the EVh are great, Clean and Crunch have their own volume controls, and Gain controls, they are just on the same knob (dual concentric knobs).
    Some nice features the EVH has that JVM does not, comes with push in caster wheels, if you want to wheel the amp around, I do, I love it. They added power supply cable wraps on the back, so you don't have to search for a cable when heading out to play, in addition to dual volume and gain controls for Clean and Crunch channels (Red channel has its own), the amp has an output attenuator knob on the front, so its like a MAster volume but better, you can dail down the output to 1 watt, very cool. The front grill can pull off from the outside, there's a pull tab, not sure why but maybe for studio recording etc?

5. Force235

The JVM is crazy high gain, so not sure what you mean by "not a high gain amp"

I'm also surprised people like the DSL as much as they do, or we think they do, I thought the voicing and tone was pretty crappy, and I admit, I think I have been spoiled by owning a 6100 LE, and a Silver Jubilee mini as my baseline amps; I sold my fairly new DSL. The JVM nails the tone I wanted but I received a lemon, which had main board problems and a runaway bias, apparently this is all too common in this amp, and is due to poor quality control on the PCB.

I literally was pissed at Marshall for the crappy DSL and the quality control of the JVM, and decided to look at other amps, and settled on the EVH, I am super glad I got it, and will be proud to display the EVH logo at my next gig.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    Leonard Neemoil and ibmorjamn like this.
  6. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

congratz man!!! I love evh amps, I´m really happy with my white 5150III 50w since the day I bought it. If you want to experiment with different tubes at V1 you can fine tune the amount of gain. Currently I´m using a 5751 and for me it sounds better and more controlable than a 12AX7.

Force235, Hamer95USA and ibmorjamn like this.
  7. Zado

Zado Active Member

Marshall is a big brand aiming for big masses, sort of what blackstar is doing, and other brands as well. You really can't lure young players with 100w NMV amps, anymore, small wattage stuff with emulated output and loads of pre gain in a shoes box volume or less is the way to run the business now. There will always be smaller companies delivering "better Marshalls", because there's still a place for that kind of amp around, but numbers aren't just the part of the cake Marshall need to eat to sustain itself.

8. PowerTube44

PowerTube44 Well-Known Member

Yep. Fender is making some very nice Strats in Mexico, as well.

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  9. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

The EVH amps are very nice, well built and sound great. I too had a JVM, 410h, 2 actually. I had the same results, noisy, thin sounding and to the point I thought the first one was broke. They sent me another but it was the same thing. I was told by several people I needed to do 5 mods to make it useable, on a $2800 amp? No way. My Chupacabra is a dream compared to that thing. There are many much better amps, for me at least, for less money that work great. That EVH should treat you right, there are a couple folks on here that swear by them. I’ve only played around with a few of them but them sounded very good and the seem well made.

10. Zado

Zado Active Member

Comparing pretty much anything to a Chupa is quite unfair

11. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Roger that! I just watched a good video on Jose modded amps by Pete Thorn, Steve Vai and Dave Friedman. Awesome.

12. Force235

Thanks man, I want to hear the white version (6L6), I was wondering about the preamp tubes, so is V1 for all the gain channels or just red or blue?

I'm thrilled with the green and blue channels, I wouldn't mind taming red a little.

13. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

If you just to change the gain factor in the red channel, swap the V2, V3 or V4. I had some 12AX7, 12AU7 and 12AT7 laying around so I order a 5751 and spent a nice afternon swaping tubes, playing some guitar and drinking beer. For my taste the 5751 was the better overall solution, since I use a boost in front of the amp almost all the time.

Swaping the V1 changes all the channels, you can follow the chart below to do whatever you need.

[​IMG]

and if you don´t know the differences between the gain factors among pre amp tubes, a quick guide

upload_2021-9-27_14-20-18.jpeg

Hamer95USA likes this.
  14. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

WOW! :wow: I just now realized that you are talking about the combo version and more importantly that the combo is fairly different from the head, with added features! :hmm: I think it would very cool if they would offer that same combo version, with the additional features of reverb and in a head format! Even the 1X12 combo weighs a pound more than a Twin Reverb and the 2X12 is 20 pounds more than that! :eek:

I'm curious as to how well the "Power Scaling" function works? Does the overall affect of the Presence control deteriorate as the Power is scaled down? Do you need to fiddle with the channel volumes to retain the same sounds and response when the Power gets adjusted?

Enjoy Your New Amp! :woot:
    Gene

15. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Me either—not sure where I ever said that the JVM is not a high gain amp?

I am not a fan of the voicing in the JVM—loved the one that I had, and I gigged it several times. Incredible footswitch and features. Just too ‘snarly’ in my opinion—kind of a strange tone that no other Marshall before has had. I think you either love it of hate it and it ended up grating on me. I do enjoy the EVH el34 much more. Also like the form factor—that JVM (and the EVH100w heads for that matter) are ridiculously large.

Couldn’t disagree with you more on the DSL—that amp can do cleans almost as well as the JVM without the JVM sonic footprint all over the gain. Had 3 DSLs and they all performed spot on the entire time I had em. One DSL50 I prob played on 50 gigs and it always sounded great. I think the most I spent on a DSL head used was $500. Maybe I got lucky but for that kind of money IMO those amps are killer

16. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Dsl 50 ‘s are awesome imo I’ve got one. Not sure how to compare it? Modded plexi , 800 ?

17. PowerTube44

Are you guys talking about the new series DSL's or the JCM 2000's?

18. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Mine were all pre 2005 or so. No experience with any of the newer ones.

PowerTube44 likes this.
  19. PowerTube44

Thanks. While we're on this topic (and I don't mean to derail the thread), is the 50-watt voiced differently than the 100-watt? Or different in some other way?

20. Leonard Neemoil

Leonard Neemoil Well-Known Member

Well, for those unaware, there are at least 2 versions of the "new series" DSL 100 you speak of. The most recent are trash imo. I had a 2004 and currently have a 2016. Both sound the same and were/are awesome imo.

Bought one of the new hR models about a month ago and within 3 minutes I knew it was going back. Still tinkered with it for maybe an hour just to see but, nope, it went back.

Also had a great sounding jcm dsl 100 but it blew up about a week in so...

3 out of 4 sounded awesome. Just the most recent dsl 100 sucks, imo.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    PowerTube44 and Force235 like this.