>

So Where Are All The Damaged Cabinets?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Micky, Mar 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

The newer DSL series (not the newest) have been out over 5 years now.
    All I heard when they were released is how the HDF cabs wouldn't stand up over time, how they would crumble quickly after a bit of use and basically how the world was gonna end because of Marshall's choice in building materials.

So where is the damage?

I have a couple DSL's, and although I haven't mis-treated them, I have carted them all over (6 different states), loaned them out, and generally used them in all kinds of situations. They have ridden in cars, trucks, trailers, and one has even taken a bus ride or two. So far, not even a scratch I can see, say nothing of any structural damage.

I would have at least expected some baffle wear near the speakers, or some corner crushed from some fatass sitting on it. But nothing. Nothing at all. Was this all much ado about nothing?

When the JMD: amps were released, I saw crunched cabs before I saw a pristene new one. I do have to admit, the construction was different with the JMD: line being made out of some IKEA pressed board sawdust and all, it would have been pretty easy to predict. But the DSL's seem to be made from some sort of non-destructible epoxy-based board that stands up pretty good if you ask me. But I could be wrong...

So let's see some photos of actual HDF damage to the DSL's. Post photos here.

Far Rider and solarburnDSL50 like this.
  2. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Well...I've cumed once and pissed twice on mine. Just to keep the cats away.

Other than that my DSL40 keeps rip'n.

Micky likes this.
  3. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

They get damaged when they are abused (dropped, mainly).

4. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

I left a stack of MDF baseboard scraps outside in the rain, sun & hail all summer next to the solid wood baseboards they replaced. 6 months later the MDF boards could have been repainted and sold as new. The solid wood baseboards were warped all to hell and weren't much use for anything other than kindling.

Micky likes this.
  5. Micky

I think they use some sort of epoxy from hell to bind these boards together when manufactured. I know when I cut the holes in the sides of my 40 for the side handles, it wasn't easy by any means, kinda like the wood Pergo flooring that you can install. Pretty sturdy stuff if you ask me.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any photos of a damaged cab or head. I know there is plenty of photos of wrecked JMD: cabs...

6. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any damaged cabs, MDF, Particle, or Ply on here. Only the restorations.

Micky likes this.
  7. Ghostman

I see where you're going with your inquiry Micky, but try this with a MDF DSL40c :D

8. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

I can't speak for everyone else, but I've taken plenty of mdf cabs to the local tip. Thats why you haven't seen any of mine. ;)

9. Micky

But a DSL isn't MDF. I have destroyed plenty of MDF stuff, it is completely different.

10. Far Rider

Far Rider Hendrixian VIP Member

I think it was just part of the propaganda the cork sniffers were putting out about Asian made Marshall's.

11. Ghostman

HDF then. And there's a lot of misconception between MDF and HDF. There's a ton of products out there made of MDF that claim HDF.

Most people think that the particle board is MDF, and that true MDF is the HDF stuff.