So Long Dsl, Hello Evh

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Dmann, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

Today I traded in my DSL100H 100w EL34(non r model) towards the new EVH 5150 III 50w 6L6 head.

it's the new 2018 build with the concentric volume and gain for green and blue channels. This amp screams, wow.. completely blows away the DSL (straight up). It's so quiet compared to the DSL, literally no hiss, and the switching is so fast, not even noticeable... crazy

The Midi is 100% and WORKS 100% no issues, easily programmed and, the loop is ok, although there's a slight gap when engaging/disengaging, there is no volume discrepancy.

Still using marshall 1960B cabs with G12T-75's. I have 3 of them and use one at home, one at the jam space and one for gigs.

I'm completely blown away by the way this EVH amp interacts, it's so harmonic and rich sounding, absolutely beautiful. even at low volumes in my bsmt it's got that arena sound and tone. The amount of gain on tap is f'n incredible and it doesn't get mushy or thin.

further, it takes the BE-OD into the green channel way cleaner and less scooped than the DSL did, and it's got unbelievable headroom... 50 watts...

This is a killer amp, I recommend people to try these out in person! total beasts.

4Horseman, LCW, MarshallDog and 4 others like this.
  2. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Know where you coming from bruv, my evh lbx ii is killer ( on smaller scale of course ) .

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Dmann likes this.
  3. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Congratz Dmann! I've played the older 50 watt and thought it killed. I'll check the new one out.

:eddie:

Dmann likes this.
  4. Wolvieberzerker

Wolvieberzerker Well-Known Member

Cool man. I've been eyeballing the new evh 50 watters. Price seems right. Had the old one. Didn't care for the matching cab or v30s. But always thought there was something "there" you now. It's a bright, in you face amp if you will. Didn't have a 1960 g12t75 at the time. But always wanted to try it. Do you find it more balanced out with the new knob configuration?

5. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Try it with G12M CELESTIONs....fantastic.

6. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

Yup just took it to band practice tonight, perfectly volume balanced and the tone is just sick.

7. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

I did try it with the EVH cab, both the 412 and 212, I prefer the 75's, always have.

8. solarburnDSL50

that's what matters. I have the 5153 412 with G12M's and it kills any other cab I've ever had. 75's sound good and can sound like shit with the scooped mids which the 5153 amp smooths over. Ears can take to different tones just like looking at other females. The rest will be gigging. Putting it to the test. The EVH 50 watter I played sounded good. Not so good I wanted it or couldn't get what I want as I know to get. I missed the bite and struggle I love with a Marshall. It's real easy to play a EVH amp. And have it sound good. At first.

Ears/feel? It's what decides whether and amp, cab, guitar or gear chain you end up with. Burying a DSL? Not phenominal.

Dmann likes this.
  9. _ripper_

_ripper_ Well-Known Member

Great, sounds like an awesome amp. A lot of recorded guitar sounds that I love have been done with the EVH.

A few month ago I almost pulled the trigger on the EVH lbx at about 500 euros new, however then the DSL100H went on sale for 600 euros and I felt it was too good of a deal to pass up.

I still plan to get an EVH at some point, though.

Dmann likes this.
  10. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

Thing is I don't sound like or desire to sound like anyone else, whom the majority use greenbacks or v30's. I so tired of everyone trying to sound the same lol.... Don't get me wrong bro, I'm not implying I'm better, superior, or have a better ear for tone, etc, ..... in fact I'll be the 1st to say I'm most likely inferior tone wise, but in a world of everyone trying to sound like "X, Y or Z," I'm sounding like "D".... cause I'm all me, 100% my own sound / tone and no one sounds like me and I sound like no one. the G12t-75's are integral to my sound... I've spent 20+ years honing my tone with these speakers and i'm dead serious when I say I can milk these speakers like no one else, and I stand out and totally bury 90% of other players because I know how to drive them like no one's business.

One thing immediate, I need no post EQ in the loop with the EVH to get my tone. The DSL100H required an EQ in the loop to get it where I wanted. This 6L6 50watt amp is FUCKING sick... it complements the 1960B so well, it's insane... it's not piercing, it's full, tons of mids, harmonic, rich and crispy bright in all the right frequencies.... and this is with 3 month old NYXL dead strings on my ESP E-II. Granted, I also am an EMG 81 guy for 25 years now, also integral to my tone.

and that's what it all comes down to bro.... just like you,( and I check out your clips every time you post and they rock), Your tone is your tone. My tone is my tone. This is the beauty of the chase man.

I'm extremely curious about your comment though..... "And have it sound good. At first." what are you getting at here?

BftGibson and solarburnDSL50 like this.
  11. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

I checked out your other thread, don't get me wrong, I totally enjoyed the DSL100H I had, it was an awesome head. Your recording is awesome!

however....

all I can offer is that I've moved on to this new EVH head and I couldn't be happier.

_ripper_ likes this.
  12. solarburnDSL50

At first means will my desire wane later as these 2 amps differ voice wise. Sometimes a new amp sounds real good especially with smoother voicings. I've played it and it was almost too easy at sounding ear friendly.:D

There is no doubt in my experience that EVH amp kills. It does. Rawk your tones!

Mitchell Pearrow and BftGibson like this.
  13. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

my 2 rigs...best of both worlds,,, EVHiii rig.jpg Optimized-DSLconv2.jpg Optimized-DSLconv2.jpg

14. solarburnDSL50

Normally I hate 75's. Never sounded good with my stuff. I've heard some great 75 loaded cabs...real broken in that gave me an opposite experience in a great way. Tells me how much I know at any given moment.:eddie:

After rereading your post I want to have another go at one. Your description of what you found really gets me excited as a player. Really stoked this amp kicks arse for you!

15. BftGibson

my main cab is gt75 & V30 x pattern and then when i am playing lead with a 2nd guitarist i pull out the 1960b loaded with v30's and i sit right on top of the rhythym pv & 1960.jpg ..then when we have an outside party gig, i stack em both..holy mother fo....chest thump and crystal clear for miles... 1960bv v30.jpg

16. BftGibson

it is a Fender clean channel, which i despise..lol but is a great amp head,,,it holds downtuned guitars tight...i prefer marshall grit ..got the 2 heads stacked on top eachother and mess with em every day...5150 is very articulate..for me the 6l6 was the compliment to the marshall i was looking for....i A/B with a looper and play them together..the 5150 is more refined and the marshall is well..Marshall and thats my tone...put it this way, i have a jmp50 H/W ptp that is in closet and these 2 are out

Dmann and solarburnDSL50 like this.
  17. solarburnDSL50

pant flapping chest thumping goodness! It's what's for dinner.

18. BftGibson

every time solarburn posts ..i wanna rock !! thank you for the inspiration..i believe my neighbors need to hear some amp comparisons tonite,,

19. solarburnDSL50

rocking out is too much fun!

I'm thinking your neighbor's are bored and waiting for you to light them up! They need it.:flex:

20. BftGibson

i think they are requesting Phrygian dominant practice over and over and that 5150 def does the most wicked pinch harmonics..that amp is seriously tight responsive amp...i wonder why the tele pickers dont use it, they would sound so crisp..

Jakeboy, Dmann and solarburnDSL50 like this.