So ... I lead singer auditioned for a band yesterday...

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Sapient, Sep 12, 2021.

1. datavomit

datavomit Active Member

HAHAHAHA This is about right for most singers

JJ119, MarshallDog, Sapient and 2 others like this.
  2. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

My sngings better than my gitar playing . Learning how to breathe and not overdo your vocal chords is a challenge. when you begin to compete in volume in the band it makes it hard to hear your self. Whenntrying out , doing a couple songs acoustically first is a good way to start.

JJ119, MarshallDog, Sapient and 3 others like this.
  3. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

Good vocal practices can be found online. Record yourself singing songs , with musiccthrough headphones, and only recording your vocals. I always record practices as it lets you know whether you ate in key or sharp/flat
    Singing from the diaphram takes more practice cause if you aint breathing right you will wear out your vocal chords
    So many lessons online.

kinleyd, JJ119, MarshallDog and 2 others like this.
  4. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

10 years from now when you look back, you won't care whether you sounded good or bad. The only thing that matters is having a good time. You won't even remember whether you sounded good or bad. The only thing you'll remember is "Man, what a great time that was."

Life is short, and getting shorter. Don't worry about anything else other than enjoying yourself and having a good time. Nobody cares how good or bad you sound, and when you look back, neither will you. You'll only care that you did it and had a good time. That's what's important.

The worst thing you can do, even worse than sounding bad, is to look back 10 years from now with regret and say "Man, what was I afraid of? Why didn't I just do it and have fun? Damn, I shoulda just jumped in and had fun."

Enjoy it while you have the chance, nothing lasts forever.

:coffee:

kinleyd, anitoli, JJ119 and 5 others like this.
  5. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Until that awkward moment you pull up to the lights, forget your windows down and are screaming out the lyrics to "I know what boys like".....

kinleyd, PelliX, Crikey and 5 others like this.
  6. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

:lol:

Sapient, JJ119 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

:funny: For whatever reason that would never be played in my truck, and I don’t know the words ha ha ha
    :cheers:

kinleyd, MarshallDog, nickfox and 2 others like this.
  8. Sapient

Sapient   Gold Supporting Member

Good one! I was quite capable of this as a guitar player. Don't forget, lead guitarists are equal opportunity egotistical @zz holes too.

The only one humble is bass. The drummer is usually the band Neanderthal.

Lol.

9. Sapient

Ouch! Could get a good reaction these days too. Either way, it's a bad reaction. :scratch:

MarshallDog and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  10. nickfox

nickfox Well-Known Member

I woke up this morning and realized that I forgot to mention an important resource. This vocal teacher named Justin Stoney. He created a set of over 100 voice lessons and he is easily the best vocal teacher I have ever seen in my life and easily the best on the internet.

I've worked through all 100 lessons and it really helped me to understand breath control and vocal placement. @Sapient, you've already begun to understand vocal placement when you spoke about getting into your head voice to try and hit those high notes.

This teacher will complete that knowledge. Don't just watch the videos, but actually go through the lesson with him as if he is your teacher. That's what helped me the most.

Voice Lessons to the World

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  11. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Reality of the market is, most "vocal teachers" these days are glorified karaoke teachers. There's not that many that are actually real vocal coaches that can help you improve and control your transition between registers, and help you apply all your technique in a "real" environment (I had that discussion with a friend of mine recently, I'm always amazed most teachers don't work with a microphone and PA and monitor -or IEM- on a regular basis), which is what you need to be a successful "band" singer.

So what I'd do is shop around for a very good vocal coach, talk with good singers in your area and ask them who taught them...that's the one you want.
    or simply shop around for online vocal lessons via Skype or similar...though I'd always recommend in-person lessons, there's some things a teacher can only correct or even see when in the same room.

12. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I give you credit for even trying. I’ve been looking on and off to get with a band, seen some online ads for local casual stuff - which is what I’m looking for. But can’t seem to pull the trigger just yet. I say good for you!

13. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

ever notice how stereotypes draw people out as monoliths? :)...

:wave:

Maggot Brain, kinleyd and Sapient like this.
  14. Sapient

Guess that makes you a humble guy Doom. Authoritative, but humble.

:cheers:

15. Dogs of Doom

I'm a HUMBLE!!! guy...

don't forget it! :)....

I'm the au-thor-a-tay on humble...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    Sapient likes this.
  16. Dogs of Doom

I thought I had replied to this, but I guess not...

Yeah, any musical endeavor, you can't just up & decide to do it & expect to be able to hang w/ an established group. It'll take some practice.

I think I told you before, that for years, I was hesitant on singing in bands. Then, once I put my mind to it, I decided to join a class at the local community college. It was a bunch of novice people that wanted to learn how to sing, or whatever. Some were literally tone deaf. Some had no voice, some were really good naturally, & then there was me...

Seriously, it made for a good avenue, because I knew, no matter how bad I was, I wasn't the worst. Also, on the other hand, no matter how good I was, I wasn't the best. So, I was just an average schmo, who could simply do what I wanted to do.

We practiced doing the major scale chromatically. Practiced breathing. Practiced scales using only vowels, only consonants, etc.

But, then we chose a song & had to own it, in front of the class.

Now, do note, that people, even if they exhibit zero talent, have an opinion on how you sound.

It was a good experience. It broke me from my adult shell. As I said before, I sang w/o hesitation as a child, & sang for the High School Honor Chorale, when I was in 2nd grade... until I quit, in 3rd grade...

I've performed w/ a lot of people over the years, some world caliber, some total amateurs. I've had my share of, let's just say, moments. So much so, I don't really get nerves anymore. Even after more than 10 years off, I jumped right in to a decent sized gig & just did it. We had no practice together & we just did our rehearsal as a quick sound check.

No nerves though... :shrug:

But then, I've never really been one to get nervous, in an anxious way, over performing. Probably because as a little kid, I was raised doing it. There were x's, that, before a gig, I used to want to take a nap, because I was so relaxed - too relaxed?

Everybody's different.

Just practice your notes, scales & expression. Learn to economize your breathing & use expression.

When you have control over that, you just go right to the notes, using whatever natural technique you have developed. Sure, everyone will have off nights, but, the idea is that off nights are off nights & not on nights. They should be the exception, not the norm.

When you practice your scales, practice a 9 note scale. Start in C, go up & down. Then, do C#, then D, D#, E, F, F#, G... Even if you get to a point, where your range ends, keep going up a scale, or 2. It will help you expand your scale, that you normally would not reach for. Once you've done all your chromatically ascending/descendant scales going up, go back down chromatically. Go past where you started, below C, to B, Bb, A, Ab, etc., until you get to a couple scales w/ notes out of your range.

Practice scales w/ a straw...

I ran across this a while back. Supposedly it helps technique, & trains your vocal chords to properly work...

Have you ever checked out Ken Tamplin?

This one kind of goes over what you were talking about, in your reply to Alvin:

Crikey, Sapient and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  17. Sapient

Nice story, Doom. It's very cool that you got started with it so early. I never really did much choir kinda stuff growing up ...but I did play the snare drum in 6th grade band shortly. Can you imagine the sheet music for that?!?!?! Lol. Yea, one note with timing.

I've been doing scales too and they're kinda fun. There are actually a few "do me so me do" kinda talk exercises I remember from like 30 years ago to kinda skip around a bit. One cool thing is to run a drone note with a YT vid in a certain key then walk all over it in pitch. Damn, that, I believe, corrected a lot of my pitch problem. The straw is an awesome idea! I can feel it now as it would build strength and also help add the resistance on the breathing so you can soar over it rather than lose it all fast.

I've seen Tamplin before a few times. He's so A personality I almost can't stand him. Lol. That was a good vid on compression though and yea, kinda what I was talking about with Alvin. Can make that mid to upper head/falsetto voice actually sound like a real voice. That's a hard one to practice because it tears at the vocal cords as your learning to do it. Then it's a little different.

I'm doing something wrong though because I'm frying out just like he says in the vid. I don't know exactly why though other than to say I over did it in the very beginning and got hoarse. I think I've never once let it completely heal yet so I keep opening the wound. If I can totally stop for the better part of aa week it will be interesting to see if it gets trashed again - I was doing a lot of bad stuff before I "broke" into the channel where things seemed to come together in a sense.

Thanks for the post!
    :rock:

18. Dogs of Doom

try the straw thing...

it's recommended for when you feel you're strained.

It puts a back pressure on your vocal cords. Supposedly, then, it stops them from flapping erratically, & out of whack, & trains them to be more, like Ken was saying as far as being compressed, but in a controlled way.

The breathing thing is a big part of it, like the example w/ Gabi. She went on to sing w/ TSO, for a stint...

Ken was singing commercial pop Christian metal back in the '80s. I never ran into him, but was a degree or 2 of separation, as I almost jammed w/ some guys in his circle. I ended up not doing it, because the band I was in had just broke up, & they wanted a contract signed & go on the road in 2 weeks, starting a month before Christmas...

I didn't know the guys & didn't know how I'd get along w/ them on the road. Plus, leaving the family for Christmas, & I really wasn't sure what happened w/ the band breakup... :shrug:

He wasn't involved w/ the project, but his friends...

Here he is singing lead & also playing lead guitar:

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  19. Sapient

Doom, I forgot. There were a couple of others that wanted play along the vid too ...

[​IMG]

Lol.

:monkey: