So ... I lead singer auditioned for a band yesterday...

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Sapient, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Sapient

Sapient   Gold Supporting Member

For those that don't know, I've been singing for about 3 weeks now. So, why not audition for a band as the lead? Lol. Well, I did it. For those that don't care about my personal endeavors you may just wanna stop here.

Yesterday I showed up for a 1:00 jam about 30 miles away. I was 40 minutes late due to the everyday traffic, being lost, wrong turn kind of bullpoop. I arrived and it was a "garage" setup". No further explanation needed on that. There was a cemetary across the street as his direct neighbor so that was interesting - a rather large, but dead audience. Hrmm.

I setup my mic and got to experience for one time not setting up stacks and lining up guitars, f'n with effects, etc., that us guitarist auditioning know what is like. It was very carefree and loose like the breeze setting a mic stand down and a book of lyrics.

We did "You may be right" by Billy Joel first and I nailed with some '80s twang that just makes things feel right. We rolled through some other songs and it was at The Cars "Just what I needed" that I began to have a problem with the "just what I needed" part of the chorus. I was crushed inside. We then did "Summer of 69" and I had range problems throughout, left to blankly stare at my lyrics as if I was actually staring for a reason. Sucked.

During a reattempt at the song I went over to the PA, turned my volume down, then unplugged my mic. The band stopped and I said "I'm gonna go, guys, there is nothing I can do here for you and you seem to have it covered". (meaning, they were singing the empty spots where I stopped. Now, they were just yelling it, which I could have easily done, but it's not singing in any way proper to vocal technique.) I didn't state the details in matters. I said by, had a few final small-talk orientated words then proceeded to the car. One guy said, at least you tried and another said let us know if you wanna come back. I must admit I sang the other stuff but to me and probably the others beside him felt it was unacceptable for the lead to not hit these ranges. I agree with this in any case. I went home.

Now, I can hit these notes. The difference is I do it properly and I'm not experienced enough to make the shift in the higher notes on the fly so fast like I needed to. No, it's not falsetto. There is a vocal point where your body will naturally want to strain to get at certain notes up higher. MOST of us know all about this. Well I wasn't going to "strain yell" it like the old days. It's at that point a trained singer can take a different rout into a higher channel with no strain whatsoever. I can do this, however when its on my own time an pace in my own home it doesn't matter too much.

I'm not giving up. It was the greatest thing ever floating voice over the music as it played. Nothing like it, to me.

That's the first story on my first step on the road to super rock star stardom. Save this thread and you may be able to sell it for substantial sum some day. Lol ...totally kiddin'!

- Sapient L. Dickenson

2. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

Keep at it Sap.
    You learned a lot of stuff by doing what you're doing, that you'd never know if you never tried.
    Most people never try, and never know.

Maggot Brain, kinleyd, JJ119 and 5 others like this.
  3. DreamerDeceiver

DreamerDeceiver Well-Known Member

Regardless of how it went,
    Youve got big balls to get up and sing(audition)
    I totally respect that.
    I could never , even if I were great at it, because I just dont have the balls. Nor the confident talent to TRY. Ive limited my entire life from not trying, in fear of failure.
    Follow your dreams,follow your heart,....hone yer skillz.
    As long as you it makes you happy.
    Have at it !

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    FogDweller, kinleyd, JJ119 and 8 others like this.
  4. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

If you know what you need to work on your probably ahead of alot of singers that don't.
    Maybe you won't kill it next time, but keep at it and you will get there

JJ119, Ramo, Mitchell Pearrow and 2 others like this.
  5. Sapient

Funny because I'm the furthest from a type A personality - something I believe singers have to be. I guess I had the balls to stand at an audition, but in reality I'm not "that guy" as far as a front man ...the center of attention ...the spokesman, the life of the party (hell I don't even wanna be at a party. Lol.). I'd have to deal with those things as they came I guess, and it might end the game.

Don't fear failing. Just think of what you don't fail at and others would. :D

:cheers:

6. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Wrong, lots of them are very much the opposite off stage; insecure, reclusive, often betas. I admire people that can pull that 180 degree switch so well - it must be an art in itself. For me it's about having a good time, on stage or off, lead or rhythm.

7. AlvisX

AlvisX Garage Guerrilla Gold Supporting Member

Singin aint as easy as most people think. It's another instrument
    I started singin in 1974 . I did it just to get outa class ,as I hated my 5th grade teacher . We had to audition for that school chorus . I remember one of my friends didn't make the cut , I can still see her face sinking.

I did not aspire to be a singer in my quest to be a rock n roller. It just happened that way by twists of circumstances. While I dont consider myself a "singer", I have been hired now n then to just be a singer (on recording projects , not to prance around like Mick Jagger)

I totally get what you mean with range issues and shifiting ... but I think you just have to do what works out in your natural range ,and not worry about what Robert Plant or Ian Gillan did (just random examples)
    I run into that with covers sometimes . I gradually push myself sometimes , other times , just move along to somethin more suitable

I also think , a 1st time in an unknown situation is a factor . Hell, if they invited you back , you must've done somethin right ?????

8. nickfox

nickfox Well-Known Member

Good on you that you went to the audition. I winced when I read those 3 songs you had to sing. I knew straight away that a few lines of those songs were outside of my vocal range. That would have made me very uncomfortable to have to sing those.

I consider myself more of a singer than a guitarist. One who truly loves Marshall amps...

The thing I really wanted to say was 1) pick songs within your vocal range and 2) if a song is outside of your vocal range, then transpose it.

You are the singer. The music needs to fit you, you do not need to fit the music.

9. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

...wuh? Oh, wait;

Somewhere, the lead guitarist is having the same thoughts... :lol:

10. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Vocal range bingo…thats what its about and everyone is different!

JJ119, Sapient and nickfox like this.
  11. MarshallDog

Sapient, dont be too hard on yourself. We do those two songs in my band. The bass player sings Just What I Needed and I sing Summer of 69. Both are tough. Summer of 69 has some higher parts where if I try to hard I can over sing it and it sounds bad. I have to actually relax and not let it into my head…maybe that happened to you. Falsetto is a necessary skill that most use as long as you have it down pat and it sounds natural! All in all, good for you for having the ballz to audition…awesome Budd!

GregM, Mitchell Pearrow and Sapient like this.
  12. Sapient

For added excitement and to be interactive (Lol!) I've added the note I couldn't hit yesterday. It's the arrow in yellow. Lame because I can hit the note at the red arrow at my max. My problem was that I was using the wrong approach the led me off a cliff after a certain range. Had I simply approached it the proper way (like laying on my @ss in my bedroom now) I could have glided right to it. :(

Regardless, if one is not hitting it that could have been a whole show. No one present cares what you might really be capable of. It's irrelevant.

keys.png

Prizes at 11. Lol.

13. MarshallDog

How about some vocal lessons to sharpen your skills? Ive take some!

14. Sapient

Yea it's a weird thing with "chest" voice, mixed (head voice) and falsetto. They are all like directional focus on the ride of a properly supported breath from the diaphragm. The higher end of the head voice gets into the falsetto that if you mount to your vocal cords properly will give that sound of singing in your "real" voice when it feels light as a feather. If you fall off the rail with over a hundred muscles (what I've heard) involved that whole concept drops and you find you're only yelling. Sometimes it's hard to tell in the moment and you find out when you crash going higher or when you feel that horrible throat fatigue come on.

Most don't know that there range continues far past where they "think" it ends. It's that they don't channel the right technique that basically locks the low, med, and high sections of the voice together. It's f'n magic if experienced. Extremely hard to explain it other than to say it's almost like your throat becomes disconnected from it all and as a result it can't get the strain.

You may already know this. I really don't know. Lol.

MarshallDog and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  15. Sapient

I have in the past, like 30 years ago. I seems only a few teachers would be able to really get one to do the right things. Mine couldn't get it across. Actually, ..none of them.

About a month ago what I had always tried to do shifted in. There was still pitch that I'm working on though.

Most would like to sing, I think, so I try to say these kinda theoretical things. It's not in any way like one talks.

16. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

At least you got the tardiness down. Just need to work on the vox.

:fever:

17. Ramo

Ramo Well-Known Member

hey sap, one step at the time brother... everything you do it will give you experience and knowledge. I know this is just beginning but don't give up it will get better, trust me.

Sucking at something is first step to getting good or excellent. I know how you felt, I felt same way when I got kicked out of the band ( I know you didn't get kicked out) it crushed me. I could not play songs and they were right to kick me out. After many years I'm still trying. sometimes when I go to jam with my band my mind goes blank and I can even remember my own song.

it must be excitement or stress that you don't know messing with you.

bottom line is keep rocking brother, you have my full support and I wish you nothing but best on you new musical journey.

18. Sapient

Thanks Alvis. Just to say though to get the higher notes it's really your falsetto at times that is "mounted" to your voice then pushed harder with proper breathing to make the week little falsetto blast. Listen to this ... the second two notes are the same two pushed harder. It's kinda sounds like I'm screaming but I'm not at all an it's not in my throat as it may also sound. Prince like doing this.

19. nickfox

nickfox Well-Known Member

I agree with @MarshallDog about taking lessons. I've been singing for a long time and I took singing lessons just 2 years ago. She was able to help me with my vibrato and it really helped me a lot. I only took lessons for a few months. I could turn you on to my vocal teacher, she's french but she speaks english really well and was not too expensive, it was like 25 or 30 euro for a 1/2 hour lesson. Something like that. PM me if you want her info.

I'm actually taking weekly guitar lessons right now and I'm getting better! :)

20. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Good on you bro.
    The only thing to hear my singing is the steering wheel of my truck !!
    Break a leg bud you got this ..
    Cheers
    Mitch

Sapient, JJ119, GregM and 2 others like this.