>

So, I just bought myself a new little rig ...

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by crossroadsnyc, Jun 16, 2021.

1. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

JCM800 Lead Series Studio + 1936 Lead Cab

I've been thinking about a couple of things for a few years now. The primary one is having the option of a smaller footprint, while the other has been w/the ongoing flirtation of going back to G12T75's. Say what you want ... it's fine ... I like the speakers.

There's obviously a break in time w/speakers, but seriously, this cab absolutely fucking rips right from the start. The bottom end is as full and tight as you can possibly imagine for a 2x12, the treble is syrupy sweet, and while I do have to dial up the mids more than I'm accustomed to, they fall right into the pocket. Would I recommend the speakers for someone playing blues licks / 60's rock? Probably not. But for just about anything else, they are really solid. The cabinet itself looks really stout. It's not pretending to be anything other than what it is. It's like a mini B cab ... I love the look. FWIW I prefer the look of B cabs in general.

The JCM800? It was a total afterthought, but when I spotted it, I kinda had to have it. How can you take home a mini B cab and not have a mini JCM800 sitting on top of it?

How does it sound? It's a proper 2203/2204. It actually reminds me more of a 2204 given the reduced headroom, but the tone controls / distortion / overall tone are right there. If you are able to get along w/a 2204 (especially when playing clean / rolling back volume control), then you'd be stoked w/this amp. Set it to your liking and then slam the front end w/an SD-1? Yikes! You're in 1980's heaven. It's all there from Back in Black to your favorite hair metal and beyond. It's also deceptively loud ... I can't imagine not being able to play just about anywhere w/this head. Does it sound as "big" as a 50/100W head? Nope. But the tone is there, and at volume levels for home and beyond. Seriously? Probably a forever keeper.

Oh, and yeah, I haven't shared a pic (even funny meme's) since Photobucket started charging ... so, um, sorry for no pics ... though, I'm tempted to find an alternative now, since it looks ridiculously cool.

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

Count me as a fan of G12T-75s as well. I have a full stack of them, and they suit me just fine.

3. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Hnad! To post pics I take a photo on my phone from far away, hit edit and zoom in, the resolution drops and the site will let you post.
    Sometimes need to do it 1 or 2 times.

4. crossroadsnyc

Yeah, I've always really liked them. I'm not sure what you're into, but my wheelhouse is 80's metal, and there's a certain smoothness they give up that really tickles my ear. As for the cleans, they are just so big/round, that they stick out more to me than any other speaker I've played clean. Are they my favorites? I don't know. I love the G12H30's in my 4x12 cabs, and really, that's hard to compete with. I've been thinking about these speakers for a long time, and they are delivering, so I'm not inclined to change for now.

5. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

About all I listened to in my teen years (the 80s) was metal. Priest, Maiden, Scorps, Queensryche, etc. It's in my DNA.

6. crossroadsnyc

Yeah, I know, I just don't like sending things from my phone. Not sure why. Weird phobia I guess. And yes, I know the other methods like sending to my computer / etc ... I know. It's just :shrug:

7. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

would you stop and just post a damn pic already. oh and HNAD. :D

8. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Congrats on a nice setup! I have a home built 1936 with G12T75's for my 2204 and love it for all kinds of music! :yesway:

9. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Ahhh, you've accidentally posted your nude selfies before and don't want to make the same mistake? Fair enough, even though we're all family here, some parts of your family should remain private.

10. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

Count me as another who like the G12t-75's as well.

Happy NAD!

11. Gaz Baker

Gaz Baker Well-Known Member

HNAD mate.

Had a 2210 and 2 quads loaded with those speakers in the late 80s, and it was very pleasing to my ears.

As for the mini JCM800, I had to have one as soon as I found out about them, as they're a much more usable version of my 80's rig.

An LP, through that rig with a TS9 up front, and I've found a setup that has killed my G.A.S.
    Instantly recognizable tones, from any number of bands throughout the 70s onwards.
    I'm not really into cookie monster metal, but I can get close to that tone too.

Definitely a keeper! :cheers:

12. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

I’m actually kinda irritated at myself for not noticing this thing while I was in modeler/profiler land for a couple years.
    There’s a pretty good chance I’d have grabbed one of these instead of my JVM410H.
    I love that amp but I keep thinking I may like the SC20 more…… I’ll have to get one at some point.

13. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

HNRG!
    Forget the speakers, with other 2x12 options, why the 2x12 1936 decision for the SC20H? Not that it is a bad or good thing.

So everyone is in the same neighborhood, there were a gazillion Gold and Platinum records done with JCM 800 and G12-65/G12T-75.:agreed:

14. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

I’d be inclined to try that vertical 2x12 that matches the SC head if I wanted a 2x12 that’s easier to move for gigs. Any input on the speakers in them? It just says V type, I’ve always loved V30 but the 75s in my 4x12 1960A suit me fine also with the JVM.

15. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

cross said he likes "B" cab's better than "A" (slant), which is why he bought a straight cab, rather than a slanted A...

He likes the 75s. The 1936 comes w/ them...

Sounds like everything he wanted right there, why look elsewhere? :shrug:

HNLRD!

16. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

V-type are pretty well discussed on here. Seems they are voiced somewhere between a Heritage (greenback) & a Vintage.

Seems that most people judge them before they are broken in, & they get bad reviews. Once people get past the break-in, the reviews aren't so bad...

17. junk notes

I honestly do not know a darn thing of the V-speaker series, only that Marshall/Celestion collab came out complimenting the Studio Series. I would imagine; in the same sense when designing the G12-C for the Jimi, or Super JH100 1982BJH cabs.
    I recently had posted in another thread, that Marshall notes that the SV represents a 1959 100w. The SC represents the 2204 or the JCM 800 50w. According to Marshall, I would treat this equation as such!

There are some here that can elaborate on the 2061. For new, I would sport that with the SC20H most definitely.
    WADR to the 1x10 combo owners, one thing I would never do is insult the SC with a 1x10" speaker, but I do understand the 1x10 combo Marshall offering. (heck, just get a solid-state Lead 12 - then reamp it. ha)
    Going the 10" route, the Marshall 1965 4x10 loaded with G10L-35s would be a great cab for the SC, as well as the 1966 2x12 that is similar to the 2061 2x12, loaded with G12-65s. I am absolutely not discounting the 1922 or 1936 or SV212 or SC212 or MX212 or CODE212 or ORI212 or 2536, and on.

As you mentioned, there is also the question in which you would be inclined to match. That would be a players decision on how much Bass coupling is preferred. That is a huge deal, and is almost always overlooked as part of the vertical or horizontal 2x12 equation for beefy tones; or for the low frequencies to fatten up their existing tone.
    Transporting to gigs would be a personal preference as to the tones one wishes to deliver. I can neither say what is good nor that any combination of equipment to achieve one's tonal bliss, as that would be a players personal endeavor..

Everyone does not play hear or want the same things. We all just want to sound good. Paying a little more will get you there faster, but there are certain known and proven formulas that will satisfy any Marshall user from all styles or music.

Whomever did this photoshop, is awesome! lol!
    [​IMG]
    Jim was good like that ;-)

18. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

HNLRD Cross sounds to me like you picked a winner.
    Cheers
    Mitch

19. junk notes

Yes, HNLRD! :D

now Rock it and make that new little rig sound big!

20. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

HNAD! Looking forward to sound samples :)

I'm also a fan of the G12T-75. I have a 1x12 cab with one that I run with the G12M-65 in my DSL40C. I like how these two speakers compliment each other.